favorite bat villan

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

makaveli09

favorite bat villan

Post by makaveli09 »

Hey guy wondering who is your fav villan? I always like the Joker b6t the more I watch the false face episodes the more I sam liking him. Too bad he did not appear in more.
marvelbloodhound

Re: favorite bat villan

Post by marvelbloodhound »

Gorshin's Riddler. He was the friggin' leader of United Underworld! ;)
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

My favorite villain is MarvelBloodHound.
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
marvelbloodhound

Post by marvelbloodhound »

Don't forget about WHV! Missing scenes and dialogue. I know they'll resolve it, but in the words of one Leonard Hoffstetler, "really?"
brightknight

Post by brightknight »

Favourite: The Joker
Best: The Riddler
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

All three Catwomen.
fs32953

Post by fs32953 »

Not Really a Villian But The Green Hornet And Kato Are My Favorite
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

The Penguin of course. Burgess is the biz.
Spikor1982

Post by Spikor1982 »

The Riddler was fantastic.
False Face is up there as well, shame it was his only appearance on the series.
I have grown to like King Tut, as a kid I found him annoying, but I 'get' his extreme over-the-top nature now.
“It is the duty of every good citizen of Gotham City to report meeting a man from Mars in a public park."
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

The Clock King obviously. Bill Finger was the man.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
brightknight

Post by brightknight »

Pengy wrote:The Penguin of course. Burgess is the biz.
Joker, Riddler and Penguin are the holy trinity.
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Black Widow followed by Shame and Bookworm.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Progress Pigment wrote:The Clock King obviously. Bill Finger was the man.

My vote is for Mr. Freeze. All three but I like the Sanders TREATMENT of the hideout.

Hey! and did you know in the latest epsiode of the Flash on CW or is it Fox??, the villain was the Clock King? I just watched it with my son.

John

BTW, if I had been Bill, I would have told Dozier off (on the inside of course)

John
Music. BAT! Music.
BatDavidEvanSmith

Post by BatDavidEvanSmith »

Such a hard question as I like so many for such different reasons.

I love Joker for his humor and whimsy. He worked so hard to undermine Batman. I liked his plot to force Batman to endorse a fake check for the Maharaja of Nimpah in season 1.

I love Riddler for his menace and usually very involved plots to best Batman. In the silent film-themed episode alone, he robbed a box office, stole a company's payroll, attacked several people with pies, tampered with a temperance party with his own lethal temper tonic, gassed Robin, nearly sawed Robin in half with a buzzsaw, and plotted to steal and ransom back Van Jones's priceless collection of silent films. Busy boy!

I loved Penguin for his involved schemes as well, usually trying to operate under the radar as a reformed villain, but unable to fight his desire for wealth, power, easy living, and Batman's destruction and death. His plots to have Gordon assassinate a strung-up Batman and Robin at the carnival, and to asphyxiate the dynamic duo in a vacuum room were particularly sinister.

Catwoman is a favorite because of her allure, and her inability to conquer her own greed. She's drawn to Batman, but loves thievery and mischief more. A complex and vexing woman who might be Batman's match, and his Achilles' heel.

King Tut was a favorite of mine because he was so grandiose and over the top, but his thugs were always so street and classless and uneducated. Hilarious. His first episode, where his female accomplice was speaking through the statue in the park, reading from cue cards, with her own accent, and adding "and that goes double for Batman". The dropping of the illusion all the time with King Tut's fantasy world was comedic gold. Victor Buono was so committed to every line and every scene, but was just undermined at every turn by his own and his employees' incompetence.

For true menace and mystery in an underused villain, False Face takes the cake as my favorite. His use of false quotes at his crime scenes. His penchant for impersonation and quick-change disguises. His ability to make narrow escapes. His crew of the Thin Man, the Fat Man, and the Short Man were curious choices. His first lieutenant, Blaze, beguiling and mysterious herself, with her own ability for quick disguises and double-dealing. Their true motives were as mysterious as their true identities, and I LOVED it. Was the man behind the mask disfigured? A social outcast? A psychologically damaged man who had no faith in anything, and was determined to prove the entire world false in some way? A true chameleon, with no real identity of his own, adapting to any situation and living a reality of whatever the situation calls for? Holing up in an abandoned studio lot full of false front fake buildings. The challenge of the caped crusaders never knowing what is real or fake keeping them on their toes. In my mind there were endless possibilities for such a villain, as well as for Blaze, because if these two villains built their entire existences around being fake, how could they TRULY trust each other? So they might be my favorite pair, if only for the untapped potential I saw in them.

For original villains, besides King Tut, I liked Egghead but only when they focused more on his evil genius than his "egg" obsession which seemed like a cheap joke that went on too long. If he was presented as a genuine mental match or superior to Batman's brilliant mind, I could have seen a lot of longevity for Egghead in comics beyond the 1966 series. Bookworm also had a really strong motif, that only gets stronger for me every time I watch his episodes. I would have liked to see him become a more recurring villain for Batgirl, since Barbara Gordon was a librarian and so book-smart, and would have crossed paths with him for sure. Seems the Batman '66 comic book editors had the same idea as I did for the next issue coming out in December!
"When we get to the royal oil boiling room, be sure to prepare some real boiling royal boiling oil to boil the boy wonder in... royally."
chrisbcritter

Re: favorite bat villain

Post by chrisbcritter »

Riddler, then Julie's Catwoman, with Sandman a close third (Not much point explaining Sandman; you either really like him like I do, or - like the majority? - you don't care).

I'll second what BatDavidEvanSmith said about "Death in Slow Motion"/"The Riddler's False Notion"; put them together and it feels like a very fast-paced adventure movie.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."