Batmobile License Plates. How Chosen?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

jim9999

Batmobile License Plates. How Chosen?

Post by jim9999 »

If I recall, there were 4 different plates used during the series. BAT-1, 2F-3567,TP-6597, and ZEF-451. I see using BAT-1, that makes sense. Any story behind the other 3? Seems like just randomly chosen?
Jim Akin

Re: Batmobile License Plates. How Chosen?

Post by Jim Akin »

In an effort to turn up clues to the mystery, I thought to google the plate numbers.

I didn't get anything useful, but I uncovered a coincidence that's kind of cool: As I typed the most common plate number, 2F-3567, it occurred to me that the characters work as a hexadecimal color code, like you might use in Photoshop. (Geeky aside: As "normal" base-10 decimal numbering uses digits 0-9 and base-2 (binary) numbering uses digits 0-1, hexadecimal, or base-16, numbering uses digits 0-9 plus A-F. It allows values from 0 to 255 to be expressed as two-digit numbers: 2F in hex notation = 47 in decimal, E1=225, etc.)

The hex code 2F3567 translates to this color, useful to any artist trying to render "Death of a Mauve Bat."

Cheers,

QQ
jim9999

Post by jim9999 »

Interesting. Thanks!
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Like Disney's A113 used in their animation projects.

I wonder if any of the plates were licensed to George Barris? I noticed some famous car plates were available recently including KIT-1 and ECTO-1A as well as a Batmobile plate. Only the Batmobile plate was sold out...everywhere...
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Not to Barris. Personalized plates as we know them today didn't exist in California in '65; and from the numbers quoted only ZEF 451 would be used with the three-letter/three-digit system then in use for passenger cars - however, that combination would not have been issued until 1969. TP 5967 would have been used for a trailer.

Closer to "Gotham", 2F-3567 is a correct 1965 New York number; the 2F code would mean it was issued in Clinton County (the northeast corner of New York State).
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

What about LMW 28 IF?

Oops - wrong 60's icon beginning with "B".