Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DVDs

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Batfink

Re: Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DV

Post by Batfink »

Third Season. Gotham City Library is the same set as Wayne Manor living room. You can tell by the archways. The Library uses both of them. Poor Bruce, Dick & Alfred had to huddle in the study. Bet with the decision to redress the Wayne Manor living room set was a factor not to use Madge Blake, other than a couple cameos in the season. You can't have her hanging around in the sacred study!
Sweet Little Buttercup!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Batfink wrote:Bet with the decision to redress the Wayne Manor living room set was a factor not to use Madge Blake, other than a couple cameos in the season. You can't have her hanging around in the sacred study!
Blake's health wasn't that great. In fact, she died less than a year after the show went off the air.
High C

Post by High C »

Dr. Shimel wrote:
Batfink wrote:Bet with the decision to redress the Wayne Manor living room set was a factor not to use Madge Blake, other than a couple cameos in the season. You can't have her hanging around in the sacred study!
Blake's health wasn't that great. In fact, she died less than a year after the show went off the air.
Plus, they needed to cut a salary to fit in Yvonne's. Obviously, she made more per week than Madge did, but they couldn't afford to have seven regulars on the payroll.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

A couple things I noticed for the first time is that not always did they use stock shots of New York as establishing shots for Gotham City. In the Black Widow episode, the establishing shot is Boston.
Todd Grimes

Post by Todd Grimes »

Burt tells a lot of stories about getting injured on the set - check out the still from "Marsha, Queen of Diamonds" - nasty cuts and a bruise on Burt's right forearm that can be seen throughout the episode. I wonder if it was an on-set mishap that caused him this bat-tle scar!?
Attachments
burtHurt.jpg
RockWizard

Post by RockWizard »

kennetzel wrote:I don't know If it's my imagination, but I have had a series of bootlegs for a few years now, and they were advertised as being the complete shows...uncut. But now when I watch the Blu Rays, I'm noticing little scenes that were not there on the bootlegs but are in the show. Example...when the Riddler takes the mold of Robin's face off his head...that wasn't in the Bootlegs, at least not mine. It's like they cut out little snippets where they could to make room for more commercials or something.
Welcome to syndicated TV. I remember getting M*A*S*H on DVD. I knew things were snipped on TV, but when whole SCENES were gone - ridiculous. And every time they re-run the episode - yep - more stuff is chopped out. Pretty soon, you're watching a commercial half hour with a few minutes of episode thrown in.

Also, HD will show a lot of stuff you didn't notice in the past. Same happened when CD's first hit the stores(at least the good sounding ones). So much stuff buried and VOILA! you are hearing it.
hobbybuilder01

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

The Riddler episode the ring of wax...the cutter blade is out on the cars drive to Gotham and Spongebob belt pouches ..
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

High C wrote: Blake's health wasn't that great. In fact, she died less than a year after the show went off the air

Plus, they needed to cut a salary to fit in Yvonne's. Obviously, she made more per week than Madge did, but they couldn't afford to have seven regulars on the payroll.
Yvonne was a hottie, but I'd rather have had Madge.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
kennetzel

Post by kennetzel »

1966.batmobile wrote:That is exactly what they did- they call it time compression. Removing a few seconds here and there that do not alter the story line so that they can fit more ads in. TONS of shows do this in syndication.
I know how they cut up shows of a TV series, but the bootlegs I bought was labled "ALL EPISODES COMPLETE" so I assumed that meant uncut.
mikechrisphil

Post by mikechrisphil »

From "Death in Slow Motion" Sherry Jackson has been taken to the Batcave by Comissioner Gordon and Batman to try and locate Robin and determine The Riddlers plans. While she is being questioned in the Batmobile, look at the curved windshield and you can see the reflection of a bank of multi colored studio lights (gels).
Tom1980

Post by Tom1980 »

Watching the end battle from "Barbecued Batman", a couple of things never noticed before.

The henchman in orange looks like stunt regular Charles Picerni. He pops up in loads of episodes as the heavy, most famously with The Clock King, but hadn't made him out in this one before.

The reason was probably his immovable hat to disguise his features. With the blu-ray quality, you can make out a little chin strap he wears which keeps it in place. The real actor didn't have one when he first jumped into the fray (and socked Chief O'Hara on the chin).
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Todd Grimes wrote:Burt tells a lot of stories about getting injured on the set - check out the still from "Marsha, Queen of Diamonds" - nasty cuts and a bruise on Burt's right forearm that can be seen throughout the episode. I wonder if it was an on-set mishap that caused him this bat-tle scar!?
Discussed on the old version of the board, w/ a vintage article describing an accident.
click for old board post
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

From "King Tut's Coup" here's another example of how we can see more clearly how fake newspapers for TV are done cheaply with a lot of gibberish text under the headlines. The second paragraph under the "Lisa" story is the same as the first paragraph under the "US Envoy calls on Vice Premier" item!
001.jpg
1966.batmobile

Post by 1966.batmobile »

In "Batman Stands Pat" there is a scene where they get into the Batmobile, and Adam's cape is caught in the door. I wonder how many episodes did that happen in?
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

1966.batmobile wrote:In "Batman Stands Pat" there is a scene where they get into the Batmobile, and Adam's cape is caught in the door. I wonder how many episodes did that happen in?
Here is the episode you named and Hubie Kerns also had his cape caught!