Meriwether, Romero, and West interview for Batman movie

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

wayoutjunk

Meriwether, Romero, and West interview for Batman movie

Post by wayoutjunk »

I thought I might pass this along if you haven't seen it.

http://www.texasarchive.org/library/ind ... %281966%29

Here's more information about it:

"Produced in 1966, "Batman" had been originally envisioned as a launch for the beloved television show of the same name starring Adam West, Burt Ward and Cesar Romero. The film, however, was filmed between the first and second seasons of the television show - and had its premiere in Austin, Texas. Why Austin? According to sources, the "BatBoat" featured in the film was created by an Austin based company, Glastron, whose payment was in having the film premiere in their hometown. This film features local CBS affiliate's noontime host, Jean Boone, interviewing the cast - in town for the premiere. Ms. Boone speaks with Catwoman, Lee Meriwether, Joker, Cesar Romero, and Adam West, Batman himself. Apparently, Romero and Boone knew each other previously and reminisce on-air."

Enjoy!
Dr. Shimel

Re: Meriwether, Romero, and West interview for Batman movie

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Just a few days after the premiere, Charles Whitman killed 14 people while shooting from a tower at the University of Texas in Austin.
Gotham

Post by Gotham »

What does that have to do with the Batman Movie?
I may not agree with what you say at times, But I will fight for your right to say it!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Gotham wrote:What does that have to do with the Batman Movie?
If the premiere had been held a few days later (it was on July 30), it would have ended up being cancelled (or at least delayed) for obvious reasons.
High C

Post by High C »

And Dozier gave one of the most insensitive quotes of all time in reference to it in Joel Eisner's book:

'On Saturday, we all rode in an open car down the main street, but he [Whitman] was only interested in killing students, thank heaven.'

That isn't true anyway. Whitman murdered numerous non-students, too.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Cheers,

QQ
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

High C wrote:And Dozier gave one of the most insensitive quotes of all time in reference to it in Joel Eisner's book:

'On Saturday, we all rode in an open car down the main street, but he [Whitman] was only interested in killing students, thank heaven.'

That isn't true anyway. Whitman murdered numerous non-students, too.
What was wrong with him?? What part of a deadly situation did he find worthy of making a flippant, comment? ? Not only was it insensitive, but the fact he made a reference to the shooting, the state he was in, along with riding in an open car should have activated his mouth filters in consideration of the then-still raw memories of JFK's assassination, only 3 years earlier.
Beneath Wayne Manor