Beetle Bailey, 3/27/66-"Fatman And Slobber"

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

epaddon

Beetle Bailey, 3/27/66-"Fatman And Slobber"

Post by epaddon »

I posted this years ago on the old board but it was so far back it's not even there in the archives any longer, so here is an encore of the Beetle Bailey comic strip for March 27, 1966, two months after the series debuted and revealing just how much "Batmania" had taken off in so short a time with this hilarious parody, "Fatman and Slobber".
Fatman And Slobber.jpg
High C

Re: Beetle Bailey, 3/27/66-"Fatman And Slobber"

Post by High C »

I had forgotten about that one. Thanks for posting it!
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Yes. Big thanks!
batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

I don't know whether or not anyone would feel the need to own this strip, but it turns out that a book containing all the Beetle Bailey daily and sunday strips from 1966 came out a couple of months ago.
noman

Post by noman »

epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Notice how that color version came from a newspaper that chose not to run the first two panels to save space. Sunday strips were always done in a way so that the first two panels were incidental to the main body and thus the newspaper could have the option to run them or not.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Very cool! I did notice however, it is called, Fatman WITH Slobber. A minor point, but if you ever meet Sheldon Cooper it could come in handy. ;)

John
Music. BAT! Music.
batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

Here's a pretty high quality scan I stumbled across a few years ago....

I apologize, apparently the free photo hosting site I chose is shrinking the image, even though I told it not to resize. the original was 2200 x 1665.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

When you hover over the image, your pointer should turn into a magnifying glass. If you click, the image expands nicely. I don't know if it's 2200 x 1655, but its details are quite discernible. So much so that it became apparent that Walker, despite the obvious inspiration of the TV show, based his Fatman logo on 1940s-era Batman comics:

Cheers,

QQ
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

And that reveals a third unused panel for some newspapers! Fascinating stuff and thanks for providing the better scan (mine came from an old newspaper archive microfilm uploaded).
batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

epaddon wrote:And that reveals a third unused panel for some newspapers! Fascinating stuff and thanks for providing the better scan (mine came from an old newspaper archive microfilm uploaded).

Turns out I had saved the original link in a text file along with the scan. if any of you want the actual scan, which is twice the size of what you're seeing on the board, even with the magnifying glass, here's the link:

http://images.ha.com/lf?set=path[3%2F2%2F4%2F6%2F3246821]%2Csizedata[2200x3050]&call=url[file%3Aproduct.chain]

remember, it's that ENTIRE link, not just the part that the board is highlighting. you'll probably have to copy and paste the entire thing into your browser window.
noman

Post by noman »

the Book-minus the 3 lead panels was "50 years of Beatle Bailey"
Incidently the book has an endpage of the "Beetle Bailey" eyes {Two black dots}
Actually this is the third picture of Beattle Eyes-the first was a unpublished comic strip drawn while Beattle was still in College {although it has been reprinted in book}; the second is "Fatman and Slobber"despite his mask you can still see Beetle Eyes... :x :lol:
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Fatman with Slobber in COLOR
Attachments
Beetle Bailey fatman.gif