Least and Most Prolific Moll?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

Least and Most Prolific Moll?

Post by Dr. Shimel »

*The moll with the shortest acting career had to be Gail Hire--Egghead's "biographer" during the second season. Her only other appearance (according to IMDB) was in 1965's "Red Line 7000."

*The moll with the longest is arguably Sherry Jackson, who had a 30-year acting career that included 132 appearances as a child co-star on "Make Room for Daddy."
Dr. Shimel

Re: Least and Most Prolific Moll?

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Doing a little more research, Hire got married to ad producer/director Murray Bruce in 1970 and developed into an accomplished artist. What seems most amazing (given the episodes she appeared in and the Hub refusing to show them) is that she has Native American roots and is deeply involved in related causes. Here's her brief bio on her website:

http://www.gailbruce.com/AboutArtist.html
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

In terms of moll with most productive post-Batman credits, I'd give the award to Julie Gregg with a Tony nomination on Broadway in the musical "The Happy Time", a role in "The Godfather" and graduating to tougher dramatic TV guest shots. (Jill St. John had even more impressive credits after Batman but she was already an established movie star at the time)
philigan

Post by philigan »

How about Lesley Gore? Oh, she was a singer. Does that count, ha? Barbara Nichols did some movies, and a lot of TV. If you consider Hermione Baddely a moll she also did plenty of TV and movies.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

I think the best way to judge something like this, is did they become more famous or get to do much better things after their time as a Bat moll, or was being a Bat moll just the latest in a line of being a "journeyman" performer.

Gore and Jill St. John were in the "famous already" category at the time.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

epaddon wrote:or was being a Bat moll just the latest in a line of being a "journeyman" performer
That would describe the vast majority of molls.
exm

Post by exm »

Dr. Shimel wrote:Doing a little more research, Hire got married to ad producer/director Murray Bruce in 1970 and developed into an accomplished artist. What seems most amazing (given the episodes she appeared in and the Hub refusing to show them) is that she has Native American roots and is deeply involved in related causes. Here's her brief bio on her website:

http://www.gailbruce.com/AboutArtist.html

I thought Hire did a great job, for only her second screen appearance! I hope the show's attempts at Native American jokes weren't what soured her on a Hollywood career. I would've thought she'd have no trouble getting regular work after that show...
Catfan

Post by Catfan »

I would say that Jill St. John and Sherry Jackson have had prolific careers (Ms. St. John was in a James Bond film), and that Julie Gregg and Marianna Hill have had interesting careers (both appeared in Godfather movies). Nancy Kovack was no slouch, nor was Leslie Parrish or Ethel Merman.