The Best and Worst of Chief O'Hara

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Batfan 66

The Best and Worst of Chief O'Hara

Post by Batfan 66 »

You guessed it, your opinion on the best and worst of Chief O'Hara. Quotes, scenes, conversations....here is my opinion.... :D

I don't know if this was the worst, but still...
Chief O'Hara: [about Egghead] He's a tough egg, Batman, the smartest man in the world.
Robin: The second smartest man in the world.
Chief O'Hara: Present company excepted, of course.

(I wonder who Chief was really referring to...)

The Best:
Batman: [Chief O'Hara grabs The Penguin with intent of arresting him] No, Chief, no.
Chief O'Hara: What?
Batman: He was merely baiting us. Don't swallow.
Robin: Have a heart, Chief, Penguin didn't mean any harm.
Commissioner Gordon: [almost illegible with a face full of custard pie] Didn't mean any harm?
Chief O'Hara: Hittin' a Police Commissioner in the puss with a pie?
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
Phil B

Re: The Best and Worst of Chief O'Hara

Post by Phil B »

He popped up in an episode of Banacek the other night and would you believe he played a police chief. I wonder if producer Howie Horwitz had something to do with it.
Shemp

Post by Shemp »

"Me men are clever, goodness knows. But where the human brain is concerned, they're just not equipped."
(The Black Widow Strikes Again)
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I've never given the Chief much thought.
He was quite an acrobat in whatever episode he got hypnotized in.
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens,

I am with Shemp:

"Me men are clever, goodness knows. But where the human brain is concerned, they're just not equipped."

Outstanding!

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

Citizens,

I am with Shemp:

Outstanding!

Mr. Deathtrap
Great quotes guys,
Yep, when it comes to thinking the Chief just ain't equipped :)
And my favorite O'Hara moment is when Batman asks for his squad car keys, and the Chief says, "Do you have insurance?" then Commish tells him too give Batman the keys :D
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
HappyDude

Post by HappyDude »

From the S2 Egghead episode:
(to Bruce and Dick, about Batman and Robin) "Commissioner Egghead has given my men orders to shoot 'em on sight!" And you just know he will mindlessly carry out those orders.
Batguy

Post by Batguy »

I thought his best was followed by his worst....
When he stood up to King Tut and said with a determined scowl...."I won't give in to you Tut"...and then his face goes blank and he becomes the acrobat mentioned....
philigan

Post by philigan »

I think it was during The Bookworm episode when everyone thinks the Commish was murdered. He then walks into his office. He starts wondering why Batman is at his office. The Chief makes the most obnoxious fake laugh right into the camera. That laugh is cringe worthy!
Tutling82

Post by Tutling82 »

Batguy wrote:I thought his best was followed by his worst....
When he stood up to King Tut and said with a determined scowl...."I won't give in to you Tut"...and then his face goes blank and he becomes the acrobat mentioned....
true but that's not the Chief's best showing before that either, because when the master criminal shows up in police headquarters, his instinct isn't to call for help so much as it is "Did anyone see you?"

In O'Hara's defense, it's pretty much implied that Abu Rabu Simbu Tu is pretty powerful stuff, as we weren't expected to find anything amiss when Batman seemingly was enslaved. Probably can't hold him accountable for that... he says plenty dumber things when he's not under some hypnotic influence.
Robin Holyisms

Post by Robin Holyisms »

Batfan 66 wrote:You guessed it, your opinion on the best and worst of Chief O'Hara. Quotes, scenes, conversations....here is my opinion.... :D
I particularly liked the time when Chief O'Hara puts his life on the line to stop Penguin and Marsha. Who had stolen a Golden Tank from the military.
jokers moll

Post by jokers moll »

My least favorite appearance of Chief O'Hara would
definitely be when we get to see him in the shower
in the Zodiac Crimes.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I didn't think laugh was so bad. Consider the circumstances.

The chief believed his boss and friend had been murdered. Then the Commissioner comes in complaining that he was pinched for overtime parking and didn't make the bridge ceremony. The chief's laugh is a laugh of relief and at the absurdity of the situation. The kind of laugh someone has after waking from a nightmare.
Bat-Ffogg

Post by Bat-Ffogg »

I think that the worst Chief O'Hara scene is when he tried to stop Penguin's Solid gold tank in "Penguin's Disastrous End", by driving a squad car in front of it, thinking that the tank would surely be stopped by a car and the car was flattened like a pancake.
"On land you may command, at sea it is me! Wah wah wah!"