new female villians

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

epaddon

Re: new female villians

Post by epaddon »

Um, no she couldn't have. Fox had a rule that no one under contract to them in another TV series was free to do "Batman". That's the reason why Lana Wood wasn't available to do any work on "Batman" because of her obligation to the Fox produced show "The Long Hot Summer." And even if that rule didn't exist, the shooting schedule for "Peyton Place" meant you never had time to appear on any other program anyway (when Kasey Rogers landed the part of Louise Tate on "Bewitched" she had to give up her regular role on "Peyton Place" as Parkins' mother, returning only once for a guest shot several years later).

Granted, they made one exception for Lee when she managed to play Lisa Carson in and around her "Time Tunnel" shooting schedule, but that was clearly a special circumstance and for a part that didn't require her to be a focal point and also be present for all days of the Batman shoot.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Fair enough.Who else could have played The Bookwoman?
High C

Post by High C »

epaddon wrote:Um, no she couldn't have. Fox had a rule that no one under contract to them in another TV series was free to do "Batman". That's the reason why Lana Wood wasn't available to do any work on "Batman" because of her obligation to the Fox produced show "The Long Hot Summer."
Interesting, because it would have been a potential coup to get Natalie's sister as a henchmoll!
Granted, they made one exception for Lee when she managed to play Lisa Carson in and around her "Time Tunnel" shooting schedule, but that was clearly a special circumstance and for a part that didn't require her to be a focal point and also be present for all days of the Batman shoot.
And Lee had bailed Fox and Greenway out 10 months earlier by taking on the role of Catwoman for the movie on short notice.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
wayoutjunk

Post by wayoutjunk »

I had read that Claire Bloom had also expressed interest on being on the show. With her experience in Shakespeare plays, she might have been a good fit for Lady Macbeth if Diana Rigg said no.
High C

Post by High C »

elmrgraham wrote:Fair enough.Who else could have played The Bookwoman?
I doubt the producers would have been interested in doing a female Bookworm knockoff, especially considering the Bookworm himself never made a second appearance.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

It would have been interesting though.
High C

Post by High C »

wayoutjunk wrote:I had read that Claire Bloom had also expressed interest on being on the show. With her experience in Shakespeare plays, she might have been a good fit for Lady Macbeth if Diana Rigg said no.
That's interesting. Do you remember where you saw that?

elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

As far as The Bookwoman goes,the producers could have teamed her up with The Bookworm against The Dynamic Duo/Terrific Trio for a Batman two part episode.That would have been the return of The Bookworm.
wayoutjunk

Post by wayoutjunk »

High C wrote:
wayoutjunk wrote:I had read that Claire Bloom had also expressed interest on being on the show. With her experience in Shakespeare plays, she might have been a good fit for Lady Macbeth if Diana Rigg said no.
I did some looking around, and I may have confused Claire Bloom with Celeste Holm, who expressed interest in playing a guest villain here:

http://www.batmantelevisionseries.com/

(Scan #36 under Letters)

Sorry about the possible confusion, although she might have made a pretty good Lady Macbeth as well.
High C

Post by High C »

wayoutjunk wrote:
High C wrote:
I did some looking around, and I may have confused Claire Bloom with Celeste Holm, who expressed interest in playing a guest villain here:

http://www.batmantelevisionseries.com/

(Scan #36 under Letters)

Sorry about the possible confusion, although she might have made a pretty good Lady Macbeth as well.
Thanks for clarifying! I should make a post about some of the performers who were interested in playing villains.

epaddon

Post by epaddon »

It's kind of funny for me to see Claire Bloom and Celeste Holm mixed up for this reason. Both of them appeared in the 1979 miniseries "Backstairs At The White House" and played successive First Ladies of the US! Claire was Mrs. Woodrow Wilson and Celeste was Mrs. Warren Harding (who succeeded Wilson).

Arlene Dahl we know from the same archive was offered the part of Marsha.
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

I'd love to see a female Riddler: Frank Gorshin's green boysuit would look seriously sexy on a suitably, mad, greedy and unscrupulous arch villainess. Someone hot but scary looking like Sandra Bernhard would fit the bill nicely.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

She could be named Miss Riddler.Her costume could be the same as on the 1966 Batman TV Series.Pamela Anderson could play her.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

That is,a younger Pamela Anderson from Baywatch.
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

elmrgraham wrote:She could be named Miss Riddler.Her costume could be the same as on the 1966 Batman TV Series.Pamela Anderson could play her.
"That's MADAME Riddler to you, schmuck!!"