Dozier interview before the movie

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

High C

Dozier interview before the movie

Post by High C »

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 28,3127940

This is very interesting. William Dozier gave this interview to the Associated Press in mid-March 1966, the same week Catwoman's first storyline debuted. At this point, he certainly was expecting Julie Newmar to be a part of the festivities for the movie.

Gives me the idea they were really scrambling when she got injured and couldn't do it.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
epaddon

Re: Dozier interview before the movie

Post by epaddon »

Agreed. More and more the element of Lee as a last minute replacement brought in because of (1) her Fox contract and the fact that she wasn't needed for "Time Tunnel" until late June when production on that would start and (2) her height being close enough to Julie's could let her wear the costume (even though the build wasn't the same) without significant alterations is becoming evident. There was clearly no open casting casting call on a CW replacement for the film.
High C

Post by High C »

epaddon wrote:Agreed. More and more the element of Lee as a last minute replacement brought in because of (1) her Fox contract and the fact that she wasn't needed for "Time Tunnel" until late June when production on that would start and (2) her height being close enough to Julie's could let her wear the costume (even though the build wasn't the same) without significant alterations is becoming evident. There was clearly no open casting casting call on a CW replacement for the film.
Considering how loosely the costume hangs on Lee during the movie, as you note, it obviously was designed for Julie. As you've pointed out, Lee wore a much-more form-fitting costume to the premiere of the movie in Austin. Presumably, they had time to make a costume tailored to Lee's measurements during the interim.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Exactly. I wish we could screencap the photos in the movie Blu-Ray supplement which show the difference in the costume.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Julie's first appearance costume was even less form fitting than Lee's movie costume. The sprayed on looking Julie suit came about in the second season. Also, Julie's first costume tried to keep the belt in place with thin thread like belt loops near the back of the suit and on the side seams. Lee's used small latch hooks in front and back which became the norm from then on and also used for Batgirl's utility belt securing. Lee's collar flanged more inward than Julie's first one as well. I don't think Lee ended up with a Julie hand me down at all.
catcap_1.jpg
catcap_2.jpg
catcap_3.jpg
catcap_4.jpg
catcap_5.jpg
catcap_6.jpg
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Appreciate the details there, Scott. It is possible though it didn't have to be a hand-me-down but was first made up with the intent Julie was going to wear it. That would depend on the matter of the timing of when it was clear Julie was out and Lee was in. But yes, it's clear that Lee wasn't wearing Julie's original S1 costume.
High C

Post by High C »

Scott Sebring wrote:Julie's first appearance costume was even less form fitting than Lee's movie costume. The sprayed on looking Julie suit came about in the second season. Also, Julie's first costume tried to keep the belt in place with thin thread like belt loops near the back of the suit and on the side seams. Lee's used small latch hooks in front and back which became the norm from then on and also used for Batgirl's utility belt securing. Lee's collar flanged more inward than Julie's first one as well. I don't think Lee ended up with a Julie hand me down at all..
Interesting details, Scott. Thanks.

There is no question that Lee's movie costume isn't as, well, clingy as the one she wore to the debut of the film. If it wasn't a Julie hand-me-down, and I have no reason to doubt your judgment, it still was different than the one she wore in late July.

Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

epaddon wrote:It is possible though it didn't have to be a hand-me-down but was first made up with the intent Julie was going to wear it.
I don't think it was ever made for Julie at all. Lee's about two to three inches shorter than Julie and I can tell you that the way the stretch works an doesn't work in this fabric, the give is not in the height. My wife who has worn and made Catwoman suits herself can attest that the torso from shoulder to crotch has to be fitted to the individual and the difference of an inch can put the whole line of it off. Lee's waist seam come's perfectly (note I didn't say purrfectly) to her waist and that's a tailored measurement that is made during initial cutting and construction and not an alteration to get it to line up there.

As for it fitting better in July for the premier I need to dig up pics from that to check for the difference. Did either of you two notice if the publicity shots suit fit better than it appeared in the movie? All my reference material photo albums are at a noted DC comic book artist's house at the moment. He's been putting them to good use.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Appreciate your technical insight there, Scott. Obviously I should have figured that once Lee was cast, then it wouldn't have taken too much time to get a costume to fit her properly in that area.

The pic in the Blu-Ray supplements from the premiere that I wish I could cap and repost here (for some reason the manufacturers of computer DVD players don't let you cap Blu-Rays unless you get a software program of some type to override things) is the sixth one in the segment showing Lee signing autographs for children. That one shows how more form-fitting it is for her than what she wore in the movie. Plus, the collar looks more minimized here though that could be an illusion from the B/W photography.

As for the more famous color publicity pix the ones of her in the mask with the cats look more like the movie one to me in terms of fit as opposed to the premiere.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

epaddon wrote:As for the more famous color publicity pix the ones of her in the mask with the cats look more like the movie one to me in terms of fit as opposed to the premiere.
I think that one was shot on set during filming. I was thinking more of the yellow background ones. I just realized I had couple over on my website.
Lee Meriwether Catwoman.jpg
High C

Post by High C »

epaddon wrote:Appreciate your technical insight there, Scott. Obviously I should have figured that once Lee was cast, then it wouldn't have taken too much time to get a costume to fit her properly in that area.
Same here.

Here's a screengrab of Lee in costume at the premiere:

epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Those other publicity pix do look closer to the premiere ones.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Did some digging. I figured I had SOMETHING on one of my drives from the premiere. Honestly, it just looks like the same suit on a different day. It really can fluctuate depending on the stance and two or three pounds between outings. But one thing is for sure, Lee looked great for those fans.
68_26.jpg
68_29.jpg
68_10.jpg
68_09.jpg
68_06.jpg
68_25.jpg
It even fluctuates from pose to pose in the film.
m00691_lrg_15.jpg
m00691_lrg_08.jpg
m00691_lrg_06.jpg
High C

Post by High C »

You may be right, Scott. Thanks for finding those photos.

Maybe the type of bra worn underneath makes a difference, too. Hard to say.

elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Excellent photos Scott.