Dozier interview before the movie

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

epaddon

Re: Dozier interview before the movie

Post by epaddon »

Appreciate the photos, Scott. Those are all the ones the Blu-Ray supplement had so its great to see them independent of there!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Adam's utility belt is different in this photo - the cylinder is before the pouch and there's a couple of holes next to the buckle.
Attachments
68_26.jpg
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Anyway, to return to the original point of the thread, the emergency nature of Lee's casting I think is still evident as the March article indicated an expectation for Julie to appear. If only there were an article somewhere saying "Lee Meriwether will be filling in for Julie Newmar etc." that would lock it down altogether.
gerryd54

Post by gerryd54 »

That does not look like Adam West with Lee in the Batmobile. Maybe it's just a odd angle.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Thanks for the photos! I love the look back at Batmania.

About Dozier wanting Julie for the film...it makes the mind soar with the possibilities of Julie's version of Kitka. Still, Lee delivered a striking, memorable Catwoman, so it was a "win" for fans.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Nothing really new here, but this is from mid-May 1966
Attachments
Newmar.jpg
Newmar.jpg (63.74 KiB) Viewed 4944 times
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Nothing really new here, but this is from mid-May 1966
Attachments
Meriwether.jpg
Meriwether.jpg (27.76 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Thanks, that first article really makes it clear that Julie was in no condition to handle the shoot if she had to wear a "loathsome apparatus".
High C

Post by High C »

epaddon wrote:Thanks, that first article really makes it clear that Julie was in no condition to handle the shoot if she had to wear a "loathsome apparatus".
Yeah, also would be impossible for that costume to cover it.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Thanks for the photos, Scott! I hadn't seen those before.

And thanks for the articles, High C and Dr Shimel!
Bob Furmanek

Post by Bob Furmanek »

Variety reported that Lee was signed by Irwin Allen for THE TIME TUNNEL on March 30, 1966. She had been filming NAMU, THE KILLER WHALE on location in Seattle since March 9.

On April 19, Variety reported:

"Julie Newmar had to bow out of her Catwoman role in the feature film version of "Batman" because of recurrence of her chronic back ailment."

The first mention of Lee joining the Batman cast was on April 26:

Tracy, Meriwether In 'Batman' Feature:
"Susan Tracy has been cast to play Robin's (Burt Ward) girl friend in the 20th-Fox feature, "Batman," along with Lee Meriwether."

Based on these dates, Lee would have joined the cast sometime between April 19 and April 26. She was available and cast VERY quickly!
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Thanks for that Bob. I'm a little puzzled though about the item of Lee being signed for Time Tunnel in March because the pilot movie was filmed in December 1965 and Lee was very much a part of that. I would have assumed she was already locked into a deal contractually if the series sold.

But that does confirm the rapid speed they worked with to get a replacement.

The Susan Tracy item though has me confused on another point. The imdb credits list her in an unbilled role as "teen girl". Is it possible this is an allusion to a part for a scene that ended up on the cutting room floor? Or is this a case of hyping a part that wasn't as big as they were making it out to be?
Bob Furmanek

Post by Bob Furmanek »

I'm not sure but here's the exact March 30 quote:

"Allen has just signed Lee Meriwether for the femme lead in "Tunnel" and also has signed Arthur Weiss, formerly associated with Ivan Tors, as story editor on "Tunnel."

So far as Susan Tracy, there might have been more footage with her and Burt that wound up on the cutting room floor. Does anyone have a copy of the final shooting script?
STEPhonIT

Post by STEPhonIT »

Lee is so beautiful, she was a good replacement for Julie. I didn't mind her in the movie. When I was younger I didn't realized Newmar was replaced in the Batman movie. Lee looks so delighted signing autographs for kids.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Was that Adam? Seeing the pics makes me wish Lee had done CW in season 3! I love Eartha, but Lee seems so much more srrious.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!