Batman viewing order

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

looneyguy85

Batman viewing order

Post by looneyguy85 »

I know batman the movie was actually released after season 1 of the show but I was curious as to where fellow bat fans actually place the film in their preferred viewing order. I am going through the full dvd collection and I intend on watching the film after season 3 mainly because I'd rather not disrupt julie newmars catwoman cycle. I believe her first appearance in season 2 starts off with a mention of Gordon and Ohare being surprised that she is still alive which follows perfectly where we had last seen her in the previous season.
wayoutjunk

Re: Batman viewing order

Post by wayoutjunk »

Well, the movie was originally supposed to be released to introduce people to the show, so I guess if were watching in the original INTENDED order, it would go at the very beginning.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I wonder if the movie had come out first with Lee in the part if that would have change perception of Julie. I think her place as the iconic Catwoman was established with all her appearances in the second season. Ironically after the movie and before season 2 Lee had more face time as Catwoman than Julie.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

looneyguy85 wrote:I know batman the movie was actually released after season 1 of the show but I was curious as to where fellow bat fans actually place the film in their preferred viewing order. I am going through the full dvd collection and I intend on watching the film after season 3 mainly because I'd rather not disrupt julie newmars catwoman cycle. I believe her first appearance in season 2 starts off with a mention of Gordon and Ohare being surprised that she is still alive which follows perfectly where we had last seen her in the previous season.
I've always believed the move can only exist after the S2 Catwoman episode, "Hot Off the Griddle," because of the direct reference to her previous appearance (and assumed death). That, or if you care to, it can be placed at the end of S2, as there's no detail in the movie script which creates a conflict with that entire season.

In fact, considering the childish nature of the Big Four's S3 plots, inserting the movie at the end of 2 sort of acts as a last hurrah of the Big Four as functional, big idea criminals, as opposed to the inane plots to follow.

...like being the queen of fashion...or surfing...
Beneath Wayne Manor
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: I've always believed the move can only exist after the S2 Catwoman episode, "Hot Off the Griddle," because of the direct reference to her previous appearance (and assumed death). That, or if you care to, it can be placed at the end of S2, as there's no detail in the movie script which creates a conflict with that entire season.
However, at the beginning of S2's "Catwoman Goes to College", Bruce comments to the Warden that he and Catwoman had met before, and I always thought that, due to Adam's delivery of that line, he was referring to the events in the movie.
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

I.M. Foreman wrote:
BATWINGED HORNET wrote: I've always believed the move can only exist after the S2 Catwoman episode, "Hot Off the Griddle," because of the direct reference to her previous appearance (and assumed death). That, or if you care to, it can be placed at the end of S2, as there's no detail in the movie script which creates a conflict with that entire season.
However, at the beginning of S2's "Catwoman Goes to College", Bruce comments to the Warden that he and Catwoman had met before, and I always thought that, due to Adam's delivery of that line, he was referring to the events in the movie.

Hmm. Unless there's another episode where Wayne met Catwoman in S2, the movie would fit in after "Hot Off the Griddle" so the key lines in it--and "Catwoman Goes to College" make sense.

Some fans have argued the film is not a part of the series continuity, but i've always felt the movie is too big a concept / story to be separate from the series.
Beneath Wayne Manor
STEPhonIT

Post by STEPhonIT »

I've placed the film's story at the beginning of the series. I need to purchase the movie to complete my collection.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Start with the last episode and go backwards. Watch the movie before you start season 1.

That way the quality of the show improves as it goes on, whole series ending with the Riddler dying in an explosion.
looneyguy85

Post by looneyguy85 »

I think I really like the idea of watching the film first as sort of an "introduction" to its world and characters. Makes alot more since to watch it at the beginning instead of mid show or at the end of the series.
Mancat

Post by Mancat »

I would think the movie would have to pre-date the series in a character timeline -- if only for the fact that in the movie Catwoman uses her mask to conceal her faux identity as Kitka and in the series she uses it as a more an accessory (usually to be worn during a heist). In the first Catwoman episode "The Purr-fect Crime/Better Luck Next Time", Batman never actually sees her without her mask -- but Robin does right before she has her henchmen throw him in the dungeon with the tigers. So, logically, if the movie came after this episode and not before, then as soon as Robin sees Kitka, he would know she's really Catwoman and tip off Batman ...
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I like RobinBoyBlunder's suggestion to watch the whole thing backwards with the movie before Season One-- they are right-- the show only gets better and better that way.

Having said that-- I don't think you can try and fit any kind of continuity in the show, that wasn't the intention of the producers and the writers certainly didn't try. You're also watching a live action 60s era comic book, where people often fooled their closest friends just by wearing a pair of glasses or a full rubber mask.

Suspension of disbelief is a must. I'd watch the Second Season first, forgetting Archer and Minstrel, then the five good episodes of Season Three, then the movie, then Season One.
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

What I found odd about the Catwoman goes to college episode is there is no mention of Catwoman surviving death after the two parter with Pussy Cat. She fell into the water, Batman thought she was dead and even shed a tear for her. Then in the college episode she's just in jail as if nothing happened.

Was the college episode originally supposed to come before the Pussy Cat one, or was this just another continuity goof?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The show mimicked the comics of the time which had no continuity.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

to quote the theme song lyrics of my second favorite TV show
", Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."
I just watch whatever episode hits me as one I want to see again.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

AndyFish wrote:The show mimicked the comics of the time which had no continuity.
I guess, but the show sometimes displayed continuity. Like Penguin recognizing Alfred from when he kidnapped him in S1, when Alfred was posing as Quillpen Qurch in S2. When Joker polluted Gotham's water with jelly and Robin mentions how Joker tried to mess with the water before but they foiled him with Alfred's help. Penguin trying to kill Barbara Gordon as revenge for when he tried to marry her. Catwoman mentioning in her voice stealing episode how Batman saved her life in the Cat and the fiddle episode etc.

I guess it's just a bit jarring story wise when the show picks and chooses to display some kind of continuity.