Color of original Bat-tights

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

wayoutjunk

Color of original Bat-tights

Post by wayoutjunk »

I had bought the Batman '66 sublimation shirt that mimicked the front and back of the Batman costume. I liked it a lot, but I thought it had too much of a lavender tint to the coloring. When I emailed the company to inquire about it, they told me that their Art Department was trying to duplicate the original costume seen here:

http://funstuffcafe.com/the-original-sc ... o-costumes

Was the original costume that purple, or did the colors just change to that after all these years? I checked over on the Bat Crafts page, and even looked at the swatches on Chuck's site, and the colors look much bluer to me. (And all the other Batman '66 costume stuff I've seen go with the bluer color as well.)
Chuck Williams

Re: Color of original Bat-tights

Post by Chuck Williams »

The color was a warm grey ( some have called it "pinky-grey") that could photograph lavender or slate grey depending on the lighting. It can even read brown. Below is a screen used leotard in different light set ups...

The link you posted didn't work for me. I'd love to see what they were trying to match.

Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
wayoutjunk

Post by wayoutjunk »

Oops, sorry about that. Try this link here:

http://funstuffcafe.com/the-original-sc ... o-costumes

(I'll also try to correct that link in the original post.)

It's definitely much purpler in their picture.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

I just hit "auto correct" on my photo and it increased the saturation to that level.
All those photos looked tweaked to me.

wayoutjunk

Post by wayoutjunk »

Chuck Williams wrote:I just hit "auto correct" on my photo and it increased the saturation to that level.
All those photos looked tweaked to me.
So I guess what I'm getting at is this. Do you think those colors in the picture they used are accurate? I've never seen an actual Batman costume in person, but that picture just looked more purple than any of the other versions I've seen (and certainly more purple than any of the licensed items I've looked at). I trust your judgment on this, Chuck, and if, in fact, you think those colors are not accurate, I'm going to contact the company again and let them know your findings (with your permission of course). The people I've talked to have been very nice, and if I can get confirmation from a Batman expert like yourself, that might convince them to reissue the shirt in a more accurate color.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

I appreciate the vote of confidence but I don't think my opinion would make any difference.

I haven't seen the shirt you are referring to in person so I can't say one way or the other.

On my monitor the costumes in the link you posted looked oversaturated when compared to the photo printed in the book it came from.

It looks like the right color but it's just super saturated which is what I was trying to say with my photo comp.

wayoutjunk

Post by wayoutjunk »

The colors of the shirt are very accurate to the picture I linked to. It's odd because otherwise the shirt is good. (They do a nice shirt for Robin that looks much closer to the colors I'm used to.) I apologize if I was being a pest about it. I was just hoping that having a Bat-expert on my side would convince them to revisit (and maybe even reissue) the Batman shirt. Thanks for the info!
kennetzel

Post by kennetzel »

When I built my Batman (Adam West) model, I used a slate gray paint for the shirt and tights, and it turned out pretty well.

Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Chuck,

It is interesting how the lighting changes the perceived color of the tights. In your avatar in this thread (which I included in my reply here in case it changes) the tights look blue. Is that avatar an scap from the new DVD?
Attachments
file.jpg
file.jpg (42.09 KiB) Viewed 12383 times
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

It's a photo of my TV as it plays the Bluray disc.

Take a look at the right side of the photos I posted above to see the more blue grey side.

Any grey is a neutral "color" and will be effected by it's environment. That's what makes it a hard color to nail down.

crazedvillain

Post by crazedvillain »

The View-master would be pretty accurate and they were blue there.
crazedvillain

Post by crazedvillain »

I've just watched "The Joker Trumps An Ace" on the DVD, episode 25, and they look grey.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

I remember Batman's costume being dark blue (cape 'n' cowl) and grey (tights) in the first season. In the second season, they were much more purple. In fact, in the Black Widow episode (Part 2), Batman's costume is referred to as being purple. :)
Austinunc

Post by Austinunc »

Gernot wrote:I remember Batman's costume being dark blue (cape 'n' cowl) and grey (tights) in the first season. In the second season, they were much more purple. In fact, in the Black Widow episode (Part 2), Batman's costume is referred to as being purple. :)

I'm watching this episode now and it's almost hard to watch. The suit defines so much of who batman is and when the suit is off like that it ruins the episode for me!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Hello to to all. Newbie to the board here. Although I have been poking around on the forum for quite some time now. I'm actually in the process of putting my 66 batman costume together. I got my onstage dance tights last week and had them in the washer the very next night. Yes I did it myself..I used the dye ratio that Chuck had posted on the old forum and they turned out great. As Chuck eluded to, the grey really looks different in multiple lighting situations. When they were drying, my wife said they looked purple, now she thinks they look grey with a very slight, and I mean slight purple hint. They almost look lavendar. Personally, I think I nailed the color right on. The problem is, it looks different almost all of the time in the DVDs.