False Face mask

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rickrickrick

False Face mask

Post by rickrickrick »

When I saw the series in its first run on TV, I was really taken with False Face. I was slightly scared, but completely fascinated by his mask.

Now that I've watched the bluray, I'm still sort of mystified by the paint scheme. It's not completely transparent, but not opaque, either. I wanted to make a replica, but I'm not sure how to achieve the look.

Anyone have any insight on the original, or made one yourself?

Any input welcome!

Many thanks!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
A. Pennyworth

Re: False Face mask

Post by A. Pennyworth »

It was a Topstone mask

Here is a past topic post

http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... 1312670151

and make sure to click the "click for past topic" link in one reply for more info/pictures and the maker information.

p.s. they used a false face type mask when they unmasked The Joker playing the Maharajah.
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Thanks, AP.

So, I guess the answer is the plastic itself was tinted somewhat.

Looks to me like these are exactly the same sculpt, but made with more clear plastic:

http://wonderland-fancy-dress.com/store ... oCmivw_wcB

Note especially the distinctive cleft in the chin. I think I'll buy some of these and experiment with stripping off the terrible contemporary paint job on them, and try some light airbrushing of my own.

Cheers!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

some Blu-ray caps
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Wow, thanks, AP! Wish I knew how to do that!

Man, that smiling one is so creepy! Really does look like a Ronald Reagan mask!

Thanks again!

RRR
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

I read an article with the makeup artist on the show where he said he just used a bit of makeup on the plastic mask to blend with the makeup the actor was wearing.
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

That's very interesting, Chuck, and quite credible looking at AP's pix.

I would have to assume, though, that the makeup was applied to the INSIDE of the mask, as it appears that the exterior is just shiny plastic. I can't see someone applying makeup on the surface of the mask, and then applying something over that to make the mask glossy.

RRR
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

The original Topstone masks in the 60's had a subtle paint scheme and tinted flesh colored plastic. I have one of each of the main 3 masks in my collection...all original vintage 60's masks...all signed by Malachi.

The masks are still being made, but the paint scheme is over the top cheesy, and the plastic is more clear...although there is a slight flesh tone. You can find them easily enough, but you may need to try and diminish the over-painted lips and cheeks.

The main 3 masks used are, what I call, The Reagan (the main False Face mask), the Gable (the one with the mustache) and the Smiler. (the politically incorrect Asian mask was not used thankfully)

When FF is in his Asian disguise he wears the Gable, but the mustache has been extended to a Fu Manchu style, and the corners of the eyes have been drawn out. The Smiler is the one he's wearing when he's laughing at Batman through the two-way mirror.

I had a smiler when I was a lad for Halloween in 1969.

For the show, fake sideburns were added to the masks to hid the staple and rubber band. If you watch the video "Cruisin" by Mike Nesmith from his "Elephant Parts" DVD, he's wearing an FF mask when he's in his Mexican mariachi costume sitting atop the horse.
Attachments
false face 2a.jpg
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

The detective work here never ceases to amaze me. Batmania Archaeologists for sure!
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Correct Szabol! Some would call it "obsessive," but I choose to call it "detail oriented." :lol:

These are original 60's era Topstone translucent Male masks. They're difficult to photograph since the automatic focus has a hard time locking in on something tangible. But you get the idea.

As you can see the tint of the plastic is much richer, and the paint jobs were much more subtle than the modern day ones. But many members here have taken the masks currently offered and modified them to look exactly like FF! And I bought a gross of the Reagans and gave them to Malachi. He would sign and sell them at his autograph shows!
Attachments
Gable.jpg
Smiler.jpg
Reagan.jpg
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Here's our ol' pal Mal (R.I.P.) and his wife clowning around at a show with the masks.
Attachments
Mal Masks.JPG
Mal Masks.JPG (25.69 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

He was such a nice guy.
Great photos Wally!!!

This is my modern mask that I got from Wally.

Rick, you just have to have a light touch and painting instead of makeup works fine.
This mask is still very translucent.

It is all done on the surface just like the paint done at the factory.
I tried makeup on the inside but it quickly becomes a mess that you would not want to put your face in. So I suspect it was done on the outside.

As Wally said, these are tough to photograph but even in room light they maintain that plastic look and highlight.
The plastic would light up quite a bit on set I believe. Just like the flat chest emblem bounced light even though it isn't glossy.

Another huge thanks to AP for the top notch screen caps!!!

Chuck...
Attachments
DSC_0012.JPGb.jpg
DSC_0011.JPGc.jpg
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Here is the "Gable" modified.

and some shots when Batman unmasked FF, you can see it's tint and the inside as Robin holds a mask.
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Wow, great posts, one and all!

Thanks again to the knowledgeable and helpful members of the board!

If anyone has a current source for the contemporary version, other than the one I linked above, please PM me or post it here.

RRR
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

I just looked in my closet and found my stash! I have...
3 of the vintage Gables
1 modern Smiler (signed by Malachi)
1 vintage Reagan
1 modern Reagan (painted on the inside for display)
1 modern Reagan (with sideburns attached)
1 modern Reagan (with make-up on the inside for display)
1 modern Reagan (with make-up on the inside for display - signed to Wally by Malachi)

Would any of these help you in your costume process?