Did anybody notice...???

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

Re: Did anybody notice...???

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Right before the servant falls in the Mr. Freeze ep, you can VERY briefly see his eyes dart to where he's supposed to fall.
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Thanks! This is all great, fun stuff guys and gals! What a blast!

A few observations after watching the Zelda episode tonight...

1) Why was Zelda included on the soundtrack album, but not the Joker who appeared on an earlier episode? Could it be they moved the order around and the first Joker episode was supposed to air AFTER Zelda? That would explain why the "Next Week" bumper (at the end of Zelda) features the Joker, when the next episode is, I believe, a Riddler episode. And perhaps the album went into production before the Joker episode was complete. I always wondered why there was no Joker on the album when I was a kid. I'm still wondering.

2) Zelda and Evoil are two of the worst villains of the entire series. Right up there with Lord Ffogg, Chandell & the Archer. I wonder who thought that was a good idea. When you compare them to Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Joker or False Face, those two aren't really even in the same league. I wonder why they thought it would be a good idea. Strange they would have such lame-o villains so early in the series. And the rhythm of the Zelda episodes seems off...very clunky and uneven. Never noticed that before.

3) I'm starting to think that Chuck may be on to something with the whole "latex rubber" on the bat ears theory. I've never noticed before how rough and splotchy the ears look early on. But I've never seen them in Blu Ray before. There's a scene in the Zelda episode when Batman looks up at the balcony in the jewelry store, and you can clearly see a rubbery quality on the ears. Plus, it looks like it was paint AND latex, as there are two different edges below the bottom of the ears. I wonder what the heck was going on. Boy do I wish Jan Kemp were still alive!

4) The bat chest emblem was silk screened, and was starting to wrinkle quite badly. I'm waiting to see which episode it is when they go with the sticker exclusively.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

wally wingert wrote: 2) Zelda and Evoil are two of the worst villains of the entire series. Right up there with Lord Ffogg, Chandell & the Archer. I wonder who thought that was a good idea. When you compare them to Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Joker or False Face, those two aren't really even in the same league. I wonder why they thought it would be a good idea. Strange they would have such lame-o villains so early in the series. And the rhythm of the Zelda episodes seems off...very clunky and uneven. Never noticed that before.
When Eivol is knocked out by the Batarang, it looks incredibly phony, like the later Superman eps where the criminals were of the cartoonish variety.
gerryd54

Post by gerryd54 »

I have to say, I love these kind of observations
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

Robin's cape comes off during the window strangulation scene in "The Cat and the Fiddle", right after he calls them "thieving thugs" -you notice it when Batman and Robin both raise an arm to throw a punch to free themselves, then there's a faraway shot of them fighting their way back from the edge of the window and the cape is fully on.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Dr. Shimel wrote:
wally wingert wrote: 2) Zelda and Evoil are two of the worst villains of the entire series. Right up there with Lord Ffogg, Chandell & the Archer. I wonder who thought that was a good idea. When you compare them to Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Joker or False Face, those two aren't really even in the same league. I wonder why they thought it would be a good idea. Strange they would have such lame-o villains so early in the series. And the rhythm of the Zelda episodes seems off...very clunky and uneven. Never noticed that before.
When Eivol is knocked out by the Batarang, it looks incredibly phony, like the later Superman eps where the criminals were of the cartoonish variety.
Y'know...Eivol is Lovie backwards. That wouldn't have happened to be Mrs. Howell in disguise, would it? Maybe Zelda helped her get off the island! :lol:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

wally wingert wrote:In the first Joker episode I noticed that, during the christening of the ocean liner scene, Burt Ward is MIA. Robin keeps his back to the camera the whole time because the wearer of the Robin costume is Victor! (I wonder where Burt was for that scene?) Burt's lines are all shot in reverse cutaways.
Same deal in the backlot shots of the Batmobile pulling up to the theater and the girls screaming for Robin - you can briefly see Victor's face and it's him all through the scene.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

The most obvious Victor appearance was in the False Face scene at the movie studio where "Robin" and Batman are running to where FF is.
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

What fun! Tonight after viewing the first Mad Hatter episode I noticed...

After Batman and Robin interview Babette they run for the Batmobile. As they drive off, you can see Adam's cape is hanging out the bottom of the Batmobile driver's side door. He shut his cape in the door! Oh if I had a nickel!

Also, I noticed a scuff on Robin's buckle throughout the entire episode. It looks like it had some scum left on it from the previous Riddler episode, where they were ensnared in the webbing. It looked similar to how his costume looked in that episode. But that would pre-suppose that the Mad Hatter was filmed after the Riddler episode, and the costume department didn't catch it. But etched into the scuff on his buckle looked like capital letter "L." Very strange.

When Robin whacks the Mad Hatter in the long shot (in Marbo's studio) the stuntman's glasses fly off. But in the very next shot, David Wayne is still wearing the glasses and tells the sculpture of the woman to hold them.

I believe this was the first episode to actually have the words Bat-Time and Bat-Channel on-screen, even though Dozier had uttered the words before in the narration. This is the first I've noticed that Batman's buckle was shined up.

When Adam comes out of the plaster he's clearly wearing the "pilot" cowl, and not the cowl he went into the plaster with. Interesting. It was probably due for a recovering, and they figured they could muck it up as much as they wanted.

I love this stuff, gang!
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

I just watched my favorite episode of all...False Face! Though I had seen it tons of times before, I noticed a LOT of new stuff on Blu Ray!

I saw what Ralph was talking about, with the yellow outline around the bat chest emblem. They stuck the sticker right over the emblem that had been silk screened on to the leotard. Neat! Never seen that before!

I also noticed that the pouch on Batman's utility belt was not only dirty, but dented quite badly! It must've been one of the foam packs that had seen better days. During the episode they also flip-flopped between the circular pouch tabs, and the square-end tabs.

Great to see our pal Gary Owens as the newscaster. :cry:

I've always noticed this before, but I think it's funny that in the scene with the couple on the train who pass Batman and Robin in the abandoned subway station, it's obviously been flipped. The sign behind the couple is backwards, as are the words on the newspaper the guy is reading. When they cut the scene into sequence, they obviously weren't looking in the right direction to match the shot of Batman and Robin.

Was Blaze wearing a future Pinky Pinkston wig in one scene???

It also looked like Batman was wearing the satin boots in some of the scenes. And I still am noticing the "L" on Robin's buckle. What the heck is that???

When False Face is inside the Trick Truck on the movie lot, during the interior shot of FF at the wheel you can see #35 written just above the driver's side window. Probably a catalog number for the vehicle that came from the studio garage. And did you notice that when False Face is hitting the buttons, his ring is on his middle finger? But then in the wide shots it goes back to his pinky?

But strangest of all, the final scene with Blaze, Dick, Bruce and Aunt Harriet in Wayne Manor...is all backwards. If you focus on Blaze you don't really notice it. But on the pullout from a close-up of Blaze to the wide shot, watch Aunt Harriet's face. You can tell the way she's blinking and the way her eyes are darting that the shot has been reversed.

What fun! Like discovering treasure all over again!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

wally wingert wrote:Was Blaze wearing a future Pinky Pinkston wig in one scene???
Blaze was rocking a number of wigs: Blonde, Pink, Purple, Red, not to mention Myrna Fahey's natural black hair in the final scene.

Given the Pinky episode was also when they brought back the Chandell/Penguin conveyor belt machine and were deep into repurposing budget slashes, it's undoubtedly the same wig.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

wally wingert wrote: I've always noticed this before, but I think it's funny that in the scene with the couple on the train who pass Batman and Robin in the abandoned subway station, it's obviously been flipped. The sign behind the couple is backwards, as are the words on the newspaper the guy is reading. When they cut the scene into sequence, they obviously weren't looking in the right direction to match the shot of Batman and Robin.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Tom1980

Post by Tom1980 »

wally wingert wrote:When Robin whacks the Mad Hatter in the long shot (in Marbo's studio) the stuntman's glasses fly off. But in the very next shot, David Wayne is still wearing the glasses and tells the sculpture of the woman to hold them.
It was Batman who whacked the Mad Hatter, Robin hadn't entered the fight yet.

But just after Robin joined, there was a jump in the action and everyone was in different positions. This happened a few times during fights (also in the Puzzler's factory in series 2). Too bad the footage they cut out is not available.

Also, I always wondered why the Mad Hatter wanted a "mould of the Batman's cowl", when surely if he took the plaster off he would still get the cowl anyway?
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Thanks Tom. You're absolutely right! My bad.

Just watched the first Catwoman episode tonight, and what struck me are all the visuals from the famous Viewmaster set that I've loved since childhood. Seeing as how that set, the soundtrack album and the bubble gum cards were the only TV series-exclusive pieces of merchandise available, they were treated like gold in my room! The generic drawn Batman items were held in high esteem, but nowhere near as much as the TV series merch.

It sounded like Adam may have had a cold in this episode. You could really tell it in some of his lines. Which would explain why Hubie seemed more prominent in this episode than previous episodes. When Batman and Robin enter the cave and find Catwoman, it's Hubie but with Adam's voice dubbed in.

But the BIGGEST snafu was during the recap. When you saw Batman cross the room to press the button to open the door to the tiger, it's clearly not Adam! In fact, the guy wearing the costume is old and has a gray mustache! I almost thought it was Alfred for a second! Go back and watch it again! In Blu Ray it's as clear as day, and hysterically funny! My guess is that it was the tiger trainer in the Bat costume.

When they get a close-up of Batman's eyes as he's pondering which door to open, I LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing the cowl so close-up! You can see the brush strokes on the black part as well as the blue eyebrows! WOW!

"HOLY CATS! A CAT!" and "Si Si Batman, what next?" were my two favorite lines. Ahhh that Stanley Ralph Ross!

And "Spongebox Squarepack" made another appearance on Adam's utility belt! Too funny!
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Here are some blu-ray caps of the discussed scenes.
yellow oval from silk screened to wrinkled, to applied over showing underneath, to sticker
Robin's cape falling off
Looks like Hubie right before plaster pour
Batman's cape caught in door
Robin's scuffed buckle
The tiger trainer (have to add him to the men who wore the cowl)
Looks like Hubie with the tiger before he climbs the wall