How does it feel to wear the cowl?

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
wildheart

How does it feel to wear the cowl?

Post by wildheart »

I'd like to pose the question "How does it feel to wear the cowl?"
I'm looking for everything from comfort and visibility to more esoteric qualities like: do you feel like a kid again, or do you feel heroic or mysterious and powerful. Do you enjoy public appearances? or is it more of a secret identity to become the Batman?
I hope to acquire my cowl this year and work towards the complete costume! Until then, could I live vicariously through your adventures, Batfans!?
AndyFish

Re: How does it feel to wear the cowl?

Post by AndyFish »

I've never worn it in public unless you count my art studio with other artists.
It's king of like wearing a bucket on your head, you can't see down or to the sides, and the original fabric is not all that comfortable. Still, it's a kick to experience what Adam went through for so many years.
batfan1705

Post by batfan1705 »

Once my costume was completed, I was VERY nervous about wearing it in public for the first time. My "debut" was at a Halloween function at our local zoo several years ago. My wife helped me to finish putting on the costume in the parking lot and we proceeded to walk to the entrance. As we got closer to the line up of people waiting to get into the zoo, we started to hear some of the youngsters yelling, "Batman!" "It's Batman", etc. Finally one young lad left the line up, ran over to me and hugged my leg tightly (I am about 6'4"). It was a truly heartwarming experience and I get it almost every single time that I appear in public. And not just the kids either! A lot of the adults have fond memories of our favourite Bat and they will flag me down to get their picture taken with me!

In all my years of costuming, this has been the best experience by far. If you take the time to do it up properly and attend a Comic con or some other function, you will NOT be disappointed!

On another note, I always take care (as much as practical) to not unmask while in public. It just seems to add an air of mystery and no one has to be disappointed if they don't see Adam West when the cowl is off!
drucevain

Post by drucevain »

Simple answer was eight years old again :D, but resisted the urge to jump off the shed roof :lol:
i'll stand at the bar i shouldn't wish to attract attention !
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Physically: The peripheral vision can get limited but visibility is greatly improved if your eyes are closer to the front. I actually use padding to push my face to the very front and can say I see better peripherally than I did when I had really long hair.

Heat can play a big factor since it doesn't breath. Things I've learned over the years:
1) Stay out of direct sunlight whenever possible. The fiberglass can start to heat up.
2) A sweat band is major helper in keeping sweat getting in your eyes or running down your face and make the experience a bit more comfortable.
3) If the conditions are right, I've been able to wear the thing for over 8 hours no problem whatsoever. If the conditions are wrong, I won't last very well.

Personally: Changed my life!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

I have only worn the Matty Cowl. It felt like wearing an old fashioned diving bell helmet as it is way too big for me. Maybe if I gathered my hair into a bun...
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

It is an amazing experience to wear the cowl. The cowl and the gloves are among the last items to go on. When you slide the cowl on and snap the collar together, you find yourself standing up straighter, enunciating better, and even moving differently. When you finish putting on the whole costume and walk out the hotel room door you feel a bit invincible, and certainly the anonymity adds to the fun. All of my experiences wearing the costume have been great and then some. I agree with the others about trying to maintain the air of mystery, by never unmasking in public and always trying to maintain the proper character.

Regarding comfort? The answer is not so much with my home made cowl. A Chuck cowl is sooo much more comfortable. I don't do well in heat, and the cowl is a heat generator with no room for it to go. A sweat band, as mentioned earlier, is an absolute must. Your peripheral vision is gone. How Adam and Hubie drove the Batmobile wearing a cowl is beyond me! Watch out for little kids that may be standing in awe right in front of you. Step backwards before you step forward if there's any question so you don't run them over.

Whatever you do, enjoy the ride. You won't be disappointed.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

It is a unique, really fun experience and one that you will look forward to have often. The reaction you get from people who see you is priceless. A true testament to the impact both the character and TV show had and continues to have on society.

Even the children of today look at this iteration of Batman with a curiosity and awe that the Bale Batman costume can’t quite match. This Batman is a much more approachable character and you feel a certain sense of obligation to carry on in a manner befitting Adam West’s portrayal.

The others have touched upon the logistics of wearing it so I’ll just add that you need to make sure you go down the Bat-poles facing the proper direction otherwise the Instant Costume Changer does an about-face with the cowl! :)
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
batfan1705

Post by batfan1705 »

I have to agree that the heat builds up really fast inside the cowl. Unfortunately a sweatband didn't work for me with my cowl as it was a little too tight then to get on. I solved this problem by getting an Underarmour cap. It's thin and light and really helps to keep sweat out of your eyes!
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Great observations and comments Guys!

Curiosity was the fundamental force driving me to pursue a cowl.

Most of my questions were related to the original pieces.

What did it weigh? How big was it? What was the fabric like? What was the plastic shell made of?

Wearing one created a whole new list of questions and thoughts of how in in world was Adam West able to wear this and make it look like a second skin?

According to an interview from back in the day, Adam wore a little cap under the cowl for a while at least. For sweat I assume.

It is a little claustrophobic at first but after so many years of curiosity and questions , to slide one on your head and realize it's not a mass produced toy or a Halloween mask or "kind of like the Bat-cowl" but a real costume piece like the one from the show just makes me break into a smile every time I put it on.

Each one is a little slice of happiness!
Chuck...
Attachments
pict0084ex3.jpgb.jpg
pict0084ex3.jpgb.jpg (81.66 KiB) Viewed 11581 times
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

This was a great idea for a thread. Thanks so much Wildheart. It is especially good for me as I am just starting down this road. My cowl is still being constructed and I probably have about a month until it comes. While waiting, I had the exact same question as you posed. I also wonder what venues (besides comic cons) get the best reaction to the cowl. Do people volunteer at hospitals much? I wonder if kids still know this Batman.
wildheart

Post by wildheart »

I want to thank everyone so much for recounting their adventures as Batman!
It's not surprising to hear that the cowl is hot and restricts vision, but I really appreciate the personal stories that obviously more than make up for any mere discomfort!
Clearly, it is not we who choose the cowl,...it is the cowl that chooses thee.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

This Batman, 1966 Batman, still resounds with kids of all ages, whether they have seen the TV show or not. I have never encountered a single person that has said, "That's not the right Batman."
QuickBat Allan

Post by QuickBat Allan »

When I put on the Cowl it feels very comfortable since it does fit like a close helmet. I have padding in it. I also wear a sweat band. With many appearances and events I have gotten used to vision with wearing it, and have no issues. You learn to train your head movements to your line of sight when you interact with folks. :)
my wife is my Batgirl
hobbybuilder01

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

I call it my magic suit..I have had many amazing experiences with it and it ultimately led to my marriage to my wife and a whole new career as a impersonator of of characters Elvis, Santa Claus , Travolta and many others As for the suit I wear a wig cap and stay out of the sun and rain neither is good for the cowl fabric. Body powder is essential and hand wash your tights after every gig .