How does it feel to wear the cowl?

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Lee Kirkham

Re: How does it feel to wear the cowl?

Post by Lee Kirkham »

This may come as a surprise to many here, but I hold the distinction of being the only moderator to have had two instances when I was (lightly) forced to wear a cowl. The first episode was at Planet Wallywood (Wally's amazing abode) by none other than Wally and Scott. I was then "forced" to pose with it (and a cape) a'la TV Guide style.

My second instance, which came only a few days after the first, was by Batmobile afficianado Nate Truman at his "Batcave". Both these instances were a lot of fun, mostly because I got to meet and have fun with these really nice folks. I plan to do it again as soon as possible!
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Everybody has raised some very valid points so far.

In a practical sense... Comfort is everything if you're going to be wearing it for more than a few moments. It really comes down to customizing the fit for your own head. As Scott and others have mentioned in this thread, padding is an important aspect. Really getting your face to the front and flush with the eye holes is of the utmost importance for both visibility, but also aesthetically for that season one/two look. Having owned more than one cowl by more than one maker and having worn both a Chuck and an original cowl, each one has a very different "feel" and fit. My first cowl was great and it will always remain special as it was the first experience I ever had and I had some wonderful experiences whilst wearing it, but it was quite simply far too big for me, regardless of padding etc and simply threw off the read/look of my overall suit as I appeared to look a little bobble-headed.

In a slightly more philosophical sense... Even all of these years later, I still get an unavoidable smile taking over my face when I flick the cowl-skirt back and lowering the cowl onto my head with two hands. For the few seconds i'm putting it on and fastening those poppers, it brings back the innocence and simplicity of life when I fell in love with this TV show at the age of four. With the risk of sounding like a Mastercard commercial, you really can't put a price on that feeling.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Moments like this... :)
Attachments
BFM & Robin Jr 2.jpg
BFM & Robin Jr 2.jpg (79.32 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Grayvette03

Post by Grayvette03 »

When I put on my Cowl I become Batman. I have attended outdoor events and the headband is a must. Being a member of several groups that do children's events its imparative you stay in character. I would never trade the experiences I have had when wearing the Cowl for anything.
Jim
Attachments
Batman & Bat-Vette
Batman & Bat-Vette
image.jpg (20.15 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
Mauled Vader

Post by Mauled Vader »

It feels "BAT-TASTIC!!!" ;)
The Batker

Post by The Batker »

This seems a good enough place to ask a question. What would you say the average dimensions of a cowl are?

I've seen the Wally Cowls, there's actually one for sale on Ebay right now. Or rather they claim to be one, I'm not an expert on these things..

Anyways it seems to be a bit bigger around the jaw area.

I'm also interested in knowing the dimensions of the Chuck cowl cause I recently purchased one of them.

Has anyone had problems with no getting a cowl to fit on their heads or is it usually the cowl is too small? I'd like to think I have an average adult male head. But you know, with these sort of things a man can get a bit paranoid and start to overthink it. lol
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Completely understandable!

Our cowl is made to fit a 23.5" head size.
We regularly fit a wide variety of sizes on either side of that number.

We've only had a couple of people over the years that the cowl didn't fit for one reason or another.

Take care and talk soon,
Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
The Batker

Post by The Batker »

Well I'm not gonna lie, I just measured and its a perfect fit then.
Waterratt

Post by Waterratt »

I, unfortunately, do not own a cowl, but I did have the privilege of trying on HobbyBuilder's suit and cowl a few years back, and man, there was nothing that would wipe that smile off my face! My kids were with me and they love seeing their Dad in the cowl! One day....