New Look for the 66 Batman

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
billychaz

New Look for the 66 Batman

Post by billychaz »

Hi,

I am making a costume for cosplay. My idea is to give a new mechanical and advance look to the '66 Batman, meaning that the old costume pattern is present but it is highly futuristic.

Any suggestions will be welcomed and I will provide sketches of my concepts soon to give a general idea of what I m trying to do.

thanks
Hedji

Re: New Look for the 66 Batman

Post by Hedji »

My first thought was to dismiss your idea and say that's not the point of Batman 66.

But then I thought about it.

And actually, you could go a couple of ways with this. My advice: Avoid Armor of any type. Keep it lean, and maintain the tights. I would go for a more retro scifi look.

Think TRON. Uses tights, but also some cool lines in the pattern. Maybe research how to incorporate EL Lighting into the fabric. Again, keep it lean with clean lines.

If you must insist on mechanical accents, I would lean towards 1960s NASA aesthetics. Again, retro future. Imagine if Batman had gone to the moon in 1969.

What I would NOT do is this:

Keep it friendly. Maintain the smile and approachability of Adam West at all costs. But don't make him look dangerous.

Have fun! I'll look forward to seeing your designs.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Brave and the Bold had a space suit in its toy line:
To the Bat-Elephant!!
billychaz

Post by billychaz »

So I should stick to simple cloth designs and avoid any sort of plastic made armors or stuff? That would kill the idea of a new look for the 66 batman. :(
Hedji

Post by Hedji »

No, you should do what you want. But if you ask advice, you're going to have to hear opinions from others whose mind's eye envisions Batman 66 of the future differently than your own. My opinion is that Batman66 does not equal armor in any form. That would "kill the idea" of it being 66 Batman.

But go for it. Do what you like, not what I like.

All I'm saying is my idea of futuristic is silvery spandex and fishbowl helmets, not Halo armor.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

This is a neat idea, especially if you maintain the grey/blue theme. I look forward to your concept!
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

billychaz wrote:Hi,

I am making a costume for cosplay. My idea is to give a new mechanical and advance look to the '66 Batman, meaning that the old costume pattern is present but it is highly futuristic.

Any suggestions will be welcomed and I will provide sketches of my concepts soon to give a general idea of what I m trying to do.

thanks

billychaz,

I love this idea and can't wait to see what you come up with. What first came to my mind, when I read your post, was Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and the first episode of the Batman Beyond cartoon. That being said, it made me wonder what your concept is???

So in other words, are you going for a "Bruce Wayne has gotten older and therefore must adjust his costume for both his age and perhaps new weaponry of the day"?
Or is it taking the design of the costume and simply attempting to "modernize" it?

Either way this sounds great!! Can't wait to see your sketches!
-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

billychaz wrote:So I should stick to simple cloth designs and avoid any sort of plastic made armors or stuff? That would kill the idea of a new look for the 66 batman. :(
yeah, do what your vision is, I was just posting a retro looking space suit in response to one of the other posts. I think the concept of a more aged Batman 66 still fighting the good fight would be interesting. I agree with the poster that mentioned Dark Knight Returns and would add Kingdom Come to that.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

TBolt wrote:
billychaz wrote:So I should stick to simple cloth designs and avoid any sort of plastic made armors or stuff? That would kill the idea of a new look for the 66 batman. :(
yeah, do what your vision is, I was just posting a retro looking space suit in response to one of the other posts. I think the concept of a more aged Batman 66 still fighting the good fight would be interesting. I agree with the poster that mentioned Dark Knight Returns and would add Kingdom Come to that.

I forgot about Kingdom Come. Good Call!

-Jeremy
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

and now I am trying to picture 55 year old Adam West/Batman still out there fighting crime in the Dark Knight Returns. Batman Year 100 sort of covered this and implied that our favorite Batman was canon and part of the history of the fictional character. He might have to wear some kind of armor or supplemental devices to pull it off. And I am guessing they would still be the same nutty style we are used to.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Earth-Two Batman may give you some inspiration as well. He got to grow old and was, sadly, eventually killed in a Adventure Comics arc back in 1979.
Attachments
Adventure462.jpg
Adventure462.jpg (68.34 KiB) Viewed 6439 times
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

would a smidgen of Watchmen reality work, not too dark but maybe some more textures- leather and maybe a "feel" to the tights?
Keep colors on the bright side maybe, just a thought.
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

batrunner1966 wrote:would a smidgen of Watchmen reality work, not too dark but maybe some more textures- leather and maybe a "feel" to the tights?
Keep colors on the bright side maybe, just a thought.

dang, forgot about Watchmen too! LOL!!
That's a great idea! Maybe make it look like Owl-Man's costume (the materials, obviously not the colors).

-Jeremy
Grayvette03

Post by Grayvette03 »

Just turned 55... Lol
Attachments
Batman & Poison Ivy
Batman & Poison Ivy
image.jpg (34.11 KiB) Viewed 6278 times
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Everybody will have their own source of inspiration for a "mechanical and advance" look for 66 Batman. Myself, that description makes me think of the famous Steranko Nick Fury cover with Nick in a space suit as the planet explodes beneath him. That, in turn, makes me think of Wally Wood's Spirit run, specifically the episodes where the Spirit goes to the moon. Also any of Wally Wood's EC Weird Science stories present an interesting "retro-future" look for a '66 Batman for me. Don't know if that's the kind of thing you are going for but I pass it along in case you are looking for sources of inspiration beyond just Batman himself in various iterations. On a completely different note, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY GRAYVETT03! You are looking smooth with Poison Ivy m'man.