Batphone Beep?

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Mark Racop

Batphone Beep?

Post by Mark Racop »

Do we have any audiophiles on the board? I am not and could use some help for an upcoming project. I am thinking the batphone beep was a combination of two frequencies. Does anyone happen to know what the frequency (or frequencies) might be?
Batfanman

Re: Batphone Beep?

Post by Batfanman »

Mark,

Based upon this audio file here: http://www.66batman.com/audio/batphone.mp3 - which purports to be the real Batphone tone, here's an analysis I performed on it that shows it in the 1187 to 1405 hz range. If I have a chance later today, I'll try and re-create it.

Edit: I don't have the DVDs to verify, but does anyone know if the car phone and the Gordon/Wayne phones had different tones?
Attachments
Batphone Tone - Freq Analysis.jpg
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
1966.batmobile

Post by 1966.batmobile »

As a musician, I can tell you the main note you hear is the note "D".

D6 to be exact, the second highest D on a standard 88 note keyboard.

I will have to check the blu rays when I have time, I think the batmobile and batcave use the same tone.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Thanks for the responses, guys. The same beep was used for the different bat phones as well as for many other devices throughout the show.
weirdkorey

Post by weirdkorey »

The batphone in the batcave, the study & commissioner gordon's office were all the same tone. However the batphone in the batmobile was completely different. Watch the pilot episode when they get a call from the riddler just before they climb up the wall of the Peale Art Gallery. The batmobile batphone is a much faster beep & a different pitch.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

You're absolutely right that the pilot Batmobile batphone beep was faster than the other batphones. The speed of the beeps matched the speed at which a stagehand could plug and unplug the AC power cord for the lights in each of the Batphones.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Mark, here's the wave comparative I spoke of in our off-board discussion. Keep in mind bottom tone is just a quick reference to show analog vs. digital differences.

For those following the thread, I've been discussing with Mark how there's more to re-creating this tone than just finding the correct frequency. There are also audible subtleties related to the electric circuits that activated & deactivated the tone and also how the room-tone environment of the studio can affect the sound, giving it a unique quality that adds additional "color" to the tone.
Attachments
Bat tone COMPARISON.jpg
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Fascinating! That makes sense as to why I thought it was two frequencies originally--the 'build up' and 'come down.' Now...how to recreate those properties digitally using sound chips...
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Interesting thread. Being a musician myself, and Scott can probably attest to this, synthesizers are amazing instruments. My 2 synths have hundreds of sounds in them. It was probably some tone created from somebody fooling around. I find it hard to believe they would have went out of their way to layer tones. It just seems to me like a lot of work for a silly beep. If one really knew what they used, it's probably something really simple. One never knows for sure. That's what makes it so interesting.