scene in 1966 tv series that is a nod to the 1950s superman

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Batman42

scene in 1966 tv series that is a nod to the 1950s superman

Post by Batman42 »

I could be wrong but wasn't there a scene in the batman tv series that was a nod to the 1950s Superman series if someone can correct me on this one I'm sure I saw the video of it posted onto youtube.

Andrew UK
Gernot

Re: scene in 1966 tv series that is a nod to the 1950s super

Post by Gernot »

I just asked your question on a Golden-Silver-Bronze Ages Message Board, and if anyone there knows it, I'll relay the answer here. :)
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Uploaded to youtube by me in 2007 (another older ebay name of mine)
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

My mind always goes first to the Shame episode when I think of the Superman reference, but I was just watching The Cat And The Fiddle, and they give a nod to the 50s Superman there too. Batman, Commissioner Gordon, and Chief O'Hara, outside the Gotham State Building:

O'Hara: "Look, up there. Are they birds?"

Gordon: "Are they planes?"

Batman: "No, they're cat burglars."
Sol

Post by Sol »

Just for the sake of clarifying the reference. The verbal exchange: "It's a bird!", "It's a plane!", "It's Superman!" originated with the opening from the 1940s radio program. The radio show was extraordinarily popular, certainly rivalling that of the later TV program, that certainly would never have existed if it weren't for what was done on radio. In fact, the radio program, starring the incredible Bud Collyer, probably has more to do with the swelling public acxceptance of the character than any other medium, including the comic books. Though the comic books, the comic strips, the Fleischer animated shorts, and the radio show - falling under the overall heading of "Superman, Inc." - all worked together to turn the Man of Steel into a great American mythological figure.

Now . . . what has been brutally done to the character since the mid-eighties, is a whole other matter. And, of course, appropriate for another forum elsewhere.