Batman & Robin help needed.

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
eric_springsteen

Batman & Robin help needed.

Post by eric_springsteen »

Hi I am new to the board. I've been a 1966 Batman fan all of my life. It was my first experience ever with Batman. Never really had a desire to watch any other Batman until when I was 12 or 13 and wanted to watch the Tim Burton films (loved them A LOT). Anyway, not here to talk about all of that.

So I am planning on making Batman and Robin costumes for me and my friend (we have the right profile with me as Batman and him as Robin). We both were looking for ideas for this huge event for our senior year of High School next year, and we decided we were gonna be Batman and Robin from the 1966 TV show. We don't have an enormous budget so we are looking to make this fairly cheap, but not like dirt cheap.

For Robin I have the belt, shirt, vest, cape, and mask pretty much situated. It is the gloves, trunks, and shoes that I cannot wrap my brain around.

For Batman I am going to purchase the Matty Collector cowl, its not the greatest but it works. As for the cape, trunks, and gloves, I need to know what material/color works best with the Matty Collector Cowl, and I would appreciate to know where to get ideas for patterns or even patterns for them. The rest I know what I am doing except for the belt buckle.

Much appreciated,

Eric
Ben Bentley

Re: Batman & Robin help needed.

Post by Ben Bentley »

Hey Eric, welcome to our board!

Good luck with you costume builds, there is a wealth of information both here and in our older archived "Bat-Crafts" section of our original message board that can still be accessed here... http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... =batcrafts

Our very own Chuck and Lynne Williams have invested years of research and released a set of B+R costume patterns based off of an original set of costumes, if your budget pertains to it, I highly recommend you pick a set of the patterns up. There is even the option to purchase the patterns with fabric swatches included for reference. You can find the Patterns over on their Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/listing/109141169/ ... e_active_6
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Eric,

Welcome! I just sent you a PM with some ideas.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Welcome fellow Bat-Fan.
eric_springsteen

Post by eric_springsteen »

Batfanman wrote:Eric,

Welcome! I just sent you a PM with some ideas.
Hey thank you so much! and Thanks to everyone in general!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Hello and welcome to the board. I am relatively new here myself. I have the Matty cowl also and am putting together a 66 Batman too. I got my cape from a costume maker / craftsperson on ebay. In fact I am the one that supplied this person with the information to help get her pointed in the right direction. The cape is MAGNIFICIENT to say the least, Maybe not quite as dark as the tv, but it matches the Matty cowl almost perfectly. Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TV-SERIES-BATMA ... 3aa3d1a3a1

I hope this helps you some. I still need to get my gloves and boots figured out yet myself. Best of luck in your endeavor.
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

I'm new to all of this as well. I am not crafty. If I was, I would think the most cost-effective choice would be to get the patterns from Chuck and Lynne Williams and make the cape, trunks, gloves and boots yourself. You could buy the tights and leotard from On Stage Dancewear and dye them yourself using RIT dye and the formula on this board. Another option, if you are not crafty, is to see who on this board still makes items for sale. At one point in time, someone on this board with the username Batman Joe made some items. Maybe he still does. Another option is to do a google search for an Argentinian provider called Action Costumes. I've never bought from them but if you aren't after perfection, they made provide a decent costume at a lower price than some other providers. Matty Collector sells a utility belt but you could also look at this board or go to a website called (I think) "The Foam Cave" and find resources to make your own. For the buckle, I think the Williams will sell you just the buckle (taking care of what seems to me to be the hardest part of the belt to make). As far as matching material to your Cowl, Action Costumes might not be the best choice for that. Making your own with patterns would give you the chance to better match the fabric. That can be tricky so you might want to go to places and see the fabric in person or order samples over the internet and compare them with your cowl. This board is searchable so you could type "fabric" into the search engine and it might take you to a more limited number of messages. Good to luck to both of you on your quest!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I actually built the foam cave belt. This was done on purpose strictly because I can stuff fun size candy bars in it for Halloween. The kids (and adults) love that. Nothing cooler than batman pulling candy from his utility belt. I did this with a different belt for my Keaton suit. This year Adam West Batman will handle the duties when I finish the suit. I will work on a screen replica when I get the suit finished. Got my onstage tights 2 weeks ago and dyed them myself the day after they arrived. Turned out great. Already have the Matty cowl a cape from a costume maker on eBay that matches the cowl real good. Just need boots and gloves yet. Big thanks to those that have offered tips so far. You guys are the best.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lypwv_H ... _Q&index=1

Here is a great tutorial on making Batman boots. I hope this helps you guys out there.