Gordon bat phone

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
danbar

Gordon bat phone

Post by danbar »

Recently completed one of the projects I have been working on. I purchased a vintage (black) rotary telephone and converted it into the red Gordon hotline bat phone. I thought it had the perfect shape (if not the height) to match the phone on the show. At this point it is not functional, just a non-working prop. I bought the phone stand and cover on Ebay but made a few alterations. I always wanted to have my very own bat phone, so I am very happy to have it and pleased that it came out OK.
phone3__1428630580_72_70_161_17.jpg
phone3__1428630580_72_70_161_17.jpg (12.11 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
phone2__1428630524_72_70_161_17.jpg
phone2__1428630524_72_70_161_17.jpg (7.53 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
phone1__1428630435_72_70_161_17.jpg
phone1__1428630435_72_70_161_17.jpg (13.03 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
JMS415

Re: Gordon bat phone

Post by JMS415 »

That is awesome! I have been wanting to recreate Bruce's batphone, but rotary phones cost more than I am willing to pay, just cause they are "vintage".

What paint did you use to switch it from black to red?
Robin: Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.

Batman: Roger. Ready to move out.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

This turned out really well. It's pretty similar in shape to one of the phones used on the show.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree.Holy Awesome!
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

danbar wrote:Recently completed one of the projects I have been working on. I purchased a vintage (black) rotary telephone and converted it into the red Gordon hotline bat phone. I thought it had the perfect shape (if not the height) to match the phone on the show. At this point it is not functional, just a non-working prop. I bought the phone stand and cover on Ebay but made a few alterations. I always wanted to have my very own bat phone, so I am very happy to have it and pleased that it came out OK
Where did you get the cover plate and center button for the phone?
The phone looks great!!

-Jeremy @ Burke Studio
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
danbar

Post by danbar »

Thanks!
I used a 1-1/2" wooden disc to fill the center of the face plate and drilled a hole in it to accommodate the switch. The disc fit the space almost perfectly. I spackled all gaps/holes in the face plate.
I actually bought 2 pushbutton switches and combined parts of them. I liked the height and action of the button I got from Radio Shack, but ended up using the black tip of the button from one I purchased at Lowes.
I primed the phone in an off-white color. I find that red has a hard time covering a dark color. I then found a great new color of Rustoleum called "poppy red". It is a really nice bright shade of red.
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

danbar wrote:Thanks!
I used a 1-1/2" wooden disc to fill the center of the face plate and drilled a hole in it to accommodate the switch. The disc fit the space almost perfectly. I spackled all gaps/holes in the face plate.
I actually bought 2 pushbutton switches and combined parts of them. I liked the height and action of the button I got from Radio Shack, but ended up using the black tip of the button from one I purchased at Lowes.
I primed the phone in an off-white color. I find that red has a hard time covering a dark color. I then found a great new color of Rustoleum called "poppy red". It is a really nice bright shade of red.
Thanks for the info!

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

That looks great. Fantastic job!