Bat tights dyeing advice

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Batfanman

Bat tights dyeing advice

Post by Batfanman »

I dyed a set and the (lined) top came out lighter than the bottoms so I need some advice.

I found an old thread where someone had this problem and solved it by running the top through another dye process using just 1 box of Pearl Gray. After 15 minutes of agitation, he felt the color matched the bottoms but I'm not sure how this could be accurately determined at this stage as the top is wet. Nevertheless, all seemed satisfactory and then it is indicated that the bottoms were added into this dye bath. The overall end result appears to have worked but I'm wondering wouldn't re-dyeing the bottoms darken them further?

Both top & bottom of mine are same material and I suspect the liner may have played a role in keeping the dye from matching, but who knows for sure. And although I'm fearful of a further color imbalance, I figure I still have to do something here to fix the situation, so I intend on re-dyeing the top with 1 box of Pearl Gray.

My other questions are how long do you think I should re-dye the top and should I add the bottoms into this 2nd mix or leave them out and see how thing turn out? The Pearl Gray I have are all from same lot. Any other advice/observations are appreciated.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Flyinggrayson

Re: Bat tights dyeing advice

Post by Flyinggrayson »

I am BY NO MEANS AN EXPERT but my best guess would be that you should re-dye both the top and bottoms together. My guess would be that the darker bottoms will not be able to absorb as much of the dye because they are already more saturated. Your only other choice would be to just dye the top and guess when it is close enough to your bottoms and with wet tights that seems almost impossible. That's my 2 cents but I really am just guessing.
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

I do not recommend putting them both back in the dye. If the tights are already darker than the top, they will probably get even darker.

Prepare your dye bath, then get your tights soaking wet with clear water, put your top in the dye, and dye it to match the wet tights as best you can. Please note that owing to dye lots, etc, if they didn't get dyed the same color when you first dyed them together, you may never get the EXACT same color with both, but you should be able to get close. Also, don't worry TOO much about it - the top and the tights are really never seen right next to each other, anyway - there's the utility belt, briefs, and gloves to break them up visually. Unless the top and tights are very different colors, no one will notice.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Re-dyed per RRR. It is darker now but still a noticeable difference. Top seems more gray than bottoms. Wondering if I should have also added in a bit more Aubergine to compensate for that tone as well?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

OK, I re-dyed by adding some more Aubergine (1/8 tspn.) and the shade of the top has turned more purple-ish but still not close enough to match the bottoms. Held against the bottoms, the top still looks more gray. I also tried on w/ trunks & belt and it is noticeable so my thoughts are to dye it again w/ a little more Aubergine.

I'm mindful of how a little dye is supposed to go a long way so I'd appreciate any more advice before I go further. Thanks!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

I think you're doing the best you can - going at it incrementally until the match is as close as possible.

Good luck with it!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

All I can offer is my moral support :). I had trouble dying as well. It can be tricky. I wish you well brother bat!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Thanks, guys, - making progress! Re-dyed using more Aubergine – approx 1/4 tspn and purple color is markedly better/closer but top looked lighter so I re-dyed again using almost full box of PG. Color is now very close - perhaps still a bit lighter than bottoms. Waiting for them to be totally dry for final look over. May do 1 more round of PG.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Re-dyed using remainder of PG (approx. 1/4 box) and less than 1/4 tspn Aubergine. Still a bit light so added 1/2 box of PG & almost 1/4 tspn Aubergine. Came out a bit darker than bottoms but only by a shade or so. Acceptable results.

I started out w/ 2 boxes PG & 3/8 tspn Aubergine w/ both top & bottom.
Here's the total extra dye used for top:
2 1/2 boxes PG
1 tspn Aubergine

So the top must be a different material or perhaps not from the same fabric run as the bottoms. This was a bit tedious but incremental dyeing was the way to go on this. I'm sure each case will be different. Thanks again for the advice!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Just one more on this topic.

If you need to get tunic & leggings in the future, ask the maker (in my case On-Stage Dancewear in NYC) if they can ensure both are created from the same run of fabric. I contacted them with this question and the salesperson indicated to me that they could work with me on this if requested. At least then there's a better chance they will dye the same color.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!