Did anybody notice...???

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jim Akin

Re: Did anybody notice...???

Post by Jim Akin »

wally wingert wrote:In the Shame episode Dozier mentions in the opening narration that there are 400,000 fans crammed into the stadium to watch the Gotham 100. But later Gordon mentions that Shame stole the valuable race care in front of 800,000 fans. Wow, the crowd doubled in only a few minutes! Ha ha.
Maybe Gordon's crowd-size estimate included the TV audience. (Stan Lee used to award No-Prizes for explanations like this.)

Cheers,

QQ
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

I thought about that too. But it's not the first time a line in the show was inconsistent with something the Narrator said. I just found it funny.

In the Catwoman/Chad & Jeremy episode, Batman strikes a match in the palm of his glove. But when he waves to the teenagers who are fumbling around in the dark, you can clearly see the white strip in his glove he used to strike the match upon. They didn't even try to paint it black or disguise it in any way. Ha ha.

It's also the first time it's mentioned that a huge crowd has gathered outside the building because they know Batman and Robin are inside. Normally the citizens see them and they act almost indifferent to their presence. But it was a motivation for getting them on the outside of the building for a Don Ho window cameo.

And should we start calling Scott Sebring...Scott Oceanbring? The parody of then-famous 60's hairstylist Jay Sebring (killed in the Helter Skelter murders) made his name Oceanbring. Thought it was funny given that's also the name of one of our moderators.

I'm still weirded out by the presence of Eeeny. What purpose did she serve? Seemingly nothing. She obviously wasn't a good actress (all her lines were dubbed) and I don't think she even had lines in the second part of the episode. The actress looked uncomfortable in the entire show. Like she didn't exactly know how to stand or behave. Was this a "girlfriend" of one of the producers or something? She was a very weird addition to the group.

It was great seeing Stanley Ralph Ross in the previous Penguin episode too.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

wally wingert wrote:I'm still weirded out by the presence of Eeeny. What purpose did she serve? Seemingly nothing. She obviously wasn't a good actress (all her lines were dubbed) and I don't think she even had lines in the second part of the episode. The actress looked uncomfortable in the entire show. Like she didn't exactly know how to stand or behave. Was this a "girlfriend" of one of the producers or something? She was a very weird addition to the group.

The role of Eenie was Sharyn Wynters first role (according to IMDB), and not surprisingly, she only had seven more in her "career." Below is her website, where she bills herself as "the first Cat Girl in the Batman series."

http://www.sharynwynters.com/index01.html
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

I checked the site - nice...some photos look like Barbara Bach, one looks like Jaclyn Smith.

A chanteuse. No wonder she seemed uncomfortable in the episode...it's hard for a singer to make the transition into acting. Probably played Eenie for the eggs-posure, but that's another villain.

I would have liked some more emotion out of her...she didn't even flinch when Catwoman suggested fixing her up with Robin.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Eenie. :) Lovely woman. And yeah, I guess the first catgirl and the first songstress playing a Catwoman sidekick -- before Leslie Gore! I tend to sort of like Eenie. CW seemed to be "grooming" her -- pun intended. She sure worked those gold pants! And to me somewhat resembled Suzanne Pleshette, the original choice for Catwoman.

Image Image
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

I always thought Eenie's bow came after Leslie Gore's.

Holy timeline, I better brush up on my episode guide.

All right, Sharyn, sing...BUT I WON'T LISTEN!
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

I just watched the first Mr Freeze last night and I was rolling during the first bat-fight. The Victor/Burt change-offs were funny enough (as they always are), but I busted a gut when I saw Burt about to kick at the fake Batmans on one angle, then one of the Freeze-boys raised a fist toward Burt's gut and he was already grimacing and turning away. What happened to the about-to-be-kicked Batmans? :lol:

Then Burt kept changing positions with each camera angle!

AND...

I think I may have the "Mistake Edition" of the DVDs - there was no narration at all in the opening, just a shot of the ice-rink and a ton of screams.

I can't replace these without going out and buying another set because the box I bought was used.
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Contact Warner through their website (info found here on the board somewhere) and I'm sure they'd be happy to send you out replacement discs.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

wally wingert wrote:Contact Warner through their website (info found here on the board somewhere) and I'm sure they'd be happy to send you out replacement discs.
Thanks, Wally, I'll check it out.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

In the last scene of the Otto Preminger eps that ME-TV showed last night, that was the first time I could clearly see the bandage covering Burt Ward's arm--and that was on my non HD television. He tries to hide it coming out of Gordon's office, but it's clearly visible when he steps into the elevator.
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

Dr. Shimel wrote:
wally wingert wrote:I'm still weirded out by the presence of Eeeny. What purpose did she serve? Seemingly nothing. She obviously wasn't a good actress (all her lines were dubbed) and I don't think she even had lines in the second part of the episode. The actress looked uncomfortable in the entire show. Like she didn't exactly know how to stand or behave. Was this a "girlfriend" of one of the producers or something? She was a very weird addition to the group.

The role of Eenie was Sharyn Wynters first role (according to IMDB), and not surprisingly, she only had seven more in her "career." Below is her website, where she bills herself as "the first Cat Girl in the Batman series."

http://www.sharynwynters.com/index01.html
Miss Wynters' real voice is obviously not being used used during her fleeting appearance as an Apache Girl in 'Westworld', either.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

It was noted in the Eisner book that Ross kept asking to be put into an episode, and the producers finally agreed as long as he didn't speak. He still managed to "say" something with his amusing stumble.
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

In Surf's Up! Joker's Under! there are obvious indications of the limited budget; such as Batman and Robin jumping through a window that had no glass.

But I noticed another possible example of cost cutting.

Joker had two henchmen, Wipe Out and Riptide. Despite them both being in the episode the same amount, only Riptide has any speaking lines, and therefore only he is listed in the credits.

I'm no expert on how Hollywood works, but it seems they likely could have paid the guy who was Wipe Out the same pay as an extra or not much more.

When I re-watched it, it was almost weird seeing the two of them always working together, but only one of them talking.
High C

Post by High C »

Commodore Schmidlapp wrote:Joker had two henchmen, Wipe Out and Riptide. Despite them both being in the episode the same amount, only Riptide has any speaking lines, and therefore only he is listed in the credits.

I'm no expert on how Hollywood works, but it seems they likely could have paid the guy who was Wipe Out the same pay as an extra or not much more.

When I re-watched it, it was almost weird seeing the two of them always working together, but only one of them talking.
Yes, you are exactly right. According to Dozier's records, Skip Ward, who played Riptide, was paid $500. Ron Burke, who had no lines as Wipeout, got $286.

Similarly, in Ring Around the Riddler, Nicholas Georgiade got $500 for the part of Kayo, while Gil Perkins was paid only $305 for non-speaking Cauliflower.

And yeah, it does look weird.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Tom1980

Post by Tom1980 »

High C wrote:Gil Perkins was paid only $305 for non-speaking Cauliflower.
Gil did have a line encouraging the Riddler in the ring, but this may have been an ad-lib.

Gil was also one of Mad Hatter's season one henchmen. Again he didn't have many lines, but he did however appear to do his own stunts during the fights, while Roland La Starza was doubled.

He never seemed to have a very strong voice, I thought that was why he had few lines?

Apparantly he was in a large number of films/TV series, we could start a thread on Gil Perkins appearances. As a young man he was in King Kong, but not been able to spot him.