Child/Toddler Cowl

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
floatinjoe

Child/Toddler Cowl

Post by floatinjoe »

I have a three-year-old who loves Batman. He wears a "Bat Utility Belt" to school/day care almost every day. It's actually just a nylon web belt, but he loves it. We're thinking about having him be Batman for Halloween. The hardest part of the costume will be the cowl. Does anyone have any thoughts? The cowl doesn't necessarily need to have a shell, it could just be a fabric "stunt cowl". I have Chuck's patterns, so I know what the pieces are all supposed to look like and how they go together. Obviously they are too large. Any thoughts on scaling them down?

I'm open to any and all recommendations. This doesn't need to be authentic, just in the spirit of the character (though authenticity is always better).

Mike
Ben Bentley

Re: Child/Toddler Cowl

Post by Ben Bentley »

floatinjoe wrote:I have a three-year-old who loves Batman. He wears a "Bat Utility Belt" to school/day care almost every day. It's actually just a nylon web belt, but he loves it. We're thinking about having him be Batman for Halloween. The hardest part of the costume will be the cowl. Does anyone have any thoughts? The cowl doesn't necessarily need to have a shell, it could just be a fabric "stunt cowl". I have Chuck's patterns, so I know what the pieces are all supposed to look like and how they go together. Obviously they are too large. Any thoughts on scaling them down?

I'm open to any and all recommendations. This doesn't need to be authentic, just in the spirit of the character (though authenticity is always better).

Mike
Have you thought about Chuck and Lynne's "Baby Cowl" pattern?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/216483855/ ... _active_20
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Ben,
I've wanted that for awhile, but unfortunately, I didn't discover it until after his head was too big for the pattern.

Mike
tmmello

Post by tmmello »

This is my son's costume a few years back I made.
I sorta used chuck and lynn pattern for my son's cowl. Made some changes and I used poster board for the shell, which is really just a face piece
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Yeah, I would just "eyeball" the cowl pattern pieces to approximate your childs head size and sew it up.

At that scale a shell isn't really necessary and if you want to tighten it up , do what Todd did and use a face mask.

Man I love that shot Todd! Also the laughing/happy baby shot taken at the same time.
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
tmmello

Post by tmmello »

Thx Chuck... ;-)
Here's a couple other pics
Here's a side view of his cowl after I put in his face shell

Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

That's the one!!! Makes me smile every time!!!

tmmello

Post by tmmello »

Chuck Williams wrote:That's the one!!! Makes me smile every time!!!
Me too Chuck the photo is in our entry way, I smile every time I look at it :D
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

That's a great job so far on the little guy's suit. He is going to remember being Batman for years to come.
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Absolutely amazing! I don't dare show these pictures to Jack because he wouldn't stop bugging me about it until he is in full costume.
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Finally got around to doing some work on this. I previously scaled the pattern down for Jack's head. This week, I cut the pieces, and started sewing it together. I attached the cowl sides to the cowl center. Didn't get any further than that. We tried it on Jack's head, and it was way too small. Good learning experience for how it is put together, but I'll be starting over this week. Might try doing gloves as a change of pace.
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Best. Dad. Ever.

And the Father of the Year Award goes to...
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Thought I'd post a couple of "in progress" pics. This is my second attempt. As noted above, my first version didn't even fit on his head. The cowl sides have been attached to the cowl center. The ears have been made and attached. At this point, I need to figure out if I'm going to put some sort of shell inside of it (probably just fuse in some interfacing to give it some shape). I also need to attach the neck closures and banana, along with paint and cut out the eyes.

Thank you to Chuck for all of his assistance offline. Your advice is always appreciated and valued.

Of course, I will post pics once it is finally finished, but here it is for now. Not sure why they are sideways, but if you click on them, they are oriented correctly.

Mike
IMG_1784.JPG
IMG_1786.JPG
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Looking great Mike!! Happy to help my friend!
:D

Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

That looks awesome so far. He is going to be so excited when it is finished. And yes, Chuck is absolutely a class act (as if you guys didn't already know that)..lol