Matty Cowl Mod

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Flyinggrayson

Re: Matty Cowl Mod

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Great job Batman65. Can you take a photo with the cowl on?
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I have had several ask to see a pic with the cowl on. I will get a pic shortly.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Here is a pic of the modified cowl with my not yet completed bat suit. Still need gloves and boots yet.
Attachments
1966 Bat Suit_resize.jpg
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

That looks darn good. Especially for the price. Congratulations.
Sassman

Post by Sassman »

Bat template.JPG
One thing I've noticed on my Matty cowl, is that the top line across the bridge of the nose is too high. When I modify mine, I'm going to drop that line to the inside corners of the eyes.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I thought about doing that also, but I didn't think I would have been able to hide the ridge between the blue spandex and the black, so I left it as is. Post pics if you do it. I would love to see how it turns out.
Sassman

Post by Sassman »

Will do, just as soon as I find the time for such a project. I see what you mean about the ridge, but I think if the bridge line gets repainted on the blue spandex, below where it joins the black, that might lower it an 1/8th of an inch, making it look a little less odd.

BTW, I like the results you've achieved with your suit, Batman65. Here's a picture of my attempt at keeping the spend under $500, thanks to the free exchange of knowledge on this forum and Matty Collector.
Attachments
20150729_193338.small.jpg
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Thank you for the kind comment on my build. Yours is looking good so far. Mine is not done yet either. I'm still working on gloves and boots, plus the chest logo was just a paper print out stuck on for effect at this point. You captured the look very well and kept the cost down. well done sir!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Ready to tackle this-- I just wrapped my latest book-- so have a week free before my next assignment, so I'm going to modify the Mattel Cowl.

Here's the first step-- I designed my own eyes and nose lines using Chuck's pattern-- one of the things I hope to do with mine is lower the nose line too, so this rework of the official photo gives me something to use a guide.

I'll post actual photos of the progress.
Attachments
COWL-REDO-1.jpg
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

can't wait Andy!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Let me know how you hide the top nose line. That's the only reason I left it as is. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Scott's tutorial is great but it kind of glosses over the Modge Podge portion of the re do. I got the markings off pretty easily with the nail polish remover 98% acetone from Wegmans. They came right off with little effort. I let it dry and then put a few base layers of white acrylic down as a primer. I'll let that dry overnight and then I'll do a layer of the Modge Podge which will help to lower the bridge line onto the fabric.

More soon.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

And there you go, very happy with it-- paint is still wet in this photo but mission accomplished. The noseline is sufficiently lowered so that it no longer appears Murray from the Odd Couple is wearing the cowl.

Bam-- easy redo.

Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Looks really good, Andy - much more like Adam's cowl. Did you make a stencil for the brows?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Looks great Andy! Thinking I may attempt to lower mine now. After modification, which really is not that hard to do, it is not that bad of a cowl for the money. Its just too bad Matty didn't do this to begin with.