Yvonne Craig - May 16, 1937 – August 17, 2015 :(

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

Re: Yvonne Craig - May 16, 1937 – August 17, 2015 :(

Post by Dr. Shimel »

****Admin note: NOT YVONNE. I've been working all day trying to get this corrected at Getty and the various news agencies.*****
Yvonne2.jpg
Yvonne2.jpg (60.48 KiB) Viewed 7526 times
Yvonne1.jpg
Yvonne1.jpg (59.26 KiB) Viewed 7526 times
Aussie Batfan

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Just woke up Thursday morning in Sydney to this terrible news. They're reporting it here on the TV news.
Met her three times , twice on her visits to Australia - the only one of the Trio to make the trip.
Great, lovely lady. Too sad to express anything more at this time.
Terry
Darknite69

Post by Darknite69 »

Sad news indeed! May she Rest In Peace. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.
Batman Buddy 2012

Post by Batman Buddy 2012 »

Me and Yvonne Craig at the Dearborn Civic Center March 31, 1990 She was such a Sweetheart!!! :) I will miss her Sweet Laugh and Sweet voice. :cry: :cry: God Bless her Soul always!!! :cry: :cry:
Attachments
Yvonne Craig and Me!!!
Yvonne Craig and Me!!!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

On ABC's nightly news, they actually took the time to (briefly) note Yvonne's death, which tends to be a rarity these days--even on those shows that focus on entertainment. Bravo ABC.
Darren Nemeth

Post by Darren Nemeth »

I was working on finishing a book late last night when I saw Scott Seebring's Facebook post and have been very sad ever since.

I met her a few years ago at the Novi Comic Con and she was as nice as people have always said. I could not believe Batgirl was talking to ME! Still can't. :D

It's 7 in the evening now so I will get up and do as she said and try to be happy.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/
Bat Tom

Post by Bat Tom »

I got to meet Ms. Craig twice, a truly classy individual. Thank you for the enjoyment you brought to so many people. RIP
tanino008

Post by tanino008 »

Like all I am so sad to hear the news, she was such an adorable person.

My mother and I met her on June 23 2000, at the New York Comic and Fantasy Creators that took place on Madison Square Garden.
We were there early and we had the honor to met her and since at that time we were among the first ones to arrive we spend at least 15 mins talking to her, Frank was also there and Adam arrive later.

She care so much for her fans and she was also very generous, I am so happy that I bought her book, after that I never had a chance to met her again.

My prayers are for her and also for her family, she was a true Super Hero.
11880687_10153285862233122_4553231731707732234_n.jpg
Feel free to visit my page
https://www.facebook.com/gamcanal04
JWLJN

Post by JWLJN »

More thoughts now that I'm home...

My first exposure to Batman was a bit later than a lot of folks here, the 1989 revival. The Family Channel was airing the episodes. My parents remembered it, but they were just old enough to not have seen a whole lot of it. They would've been right in between the ages where it would've been "cool" to the youngsters or "funny" to the adults when it first aired. Nevertheless, my dad knew I'd like it, and told me we were going to stay up to watch. It was on at 11 pm, but it was summer. He knew I'd like it, because we recorded it, too. It was the first Mad Hatter story. I knew from a book about television that my family owned that Batgirl showed up eventually, but I didn't know anything else about it (I wouldn't find the Batbook til later that Fall). TFC was showing the episodes in no particular order, and shortly after my obsession began, "The Ogg Couple" was aired. When the animation of Batgirl swinging in with the kick came on, I remember saying "Hey, it's a Batgirl episode!" Between loving Batgirl and the extra comedy/"camp" of the episodes, Season 3 became my favorite season. They're the ones I've seen the most, they're the first I watched on Blu-Ray, and I even had a set of each S3 ep taped off of both TFC and TV Land. Two weekends ago, after seeing Adam, Burt, and Julie here in Pittsburgh, I had the urge to go through the series again. Where did I start? Season 3.

I'll never meet Yvonne, but in her honor and wishes I won't be upset about it. Actually, just like with the recent deaths of two of my favorite wrestlers, Dusty Rhodes and Roddy Piper, I'm thinking more of the families. They're the truly suffering ones.

But I can totally believe the written wishes of Yvonne. Reading that took me back to a story of hers in the Batmania books. She states that she didn't usually attend funerals, but she did go to Alan Napier's. She said that the family instructed attendees not to dress dark, as Alan would not have wanted that, and everyone shared stories about Alan and that she did not regret going.

Her action figure still sits on my desk from a few weeks ago when it arrived from TRU.com. I'm planning a small 66 Batman display in my other room, but I think she'll stand here awhile longer. Batgirl is Yvonne's legacy...and what a legacy!

RIP

-J\/\/
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Dr. Shimel wrote:On ABC's nightly news, they actually took the time to (briefly) note Yvonne's death, which tends to be a rarity these days--even on those shows that focus on entertainment. Bravo ABC.

CBS evening news did the same, along with the funeral for the Baltimore Batman. Just so sad. Still can't believe it. Watching Batman season 3 tonite in tribute to Yvonne.
Batfan Mike 4260

Post by Batfan Mike 4260 »

Terrible news!!! I don't usually watch news first thing in the morning. My wife called me at work to tell me. I instantly changed my screensaver to the Batgirl. RIP YC!!!
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

Needles to say, I was deeply saddened by the news of Yvonne Craig's passing. She was an amazing individual; extremely talented and possessing a beauty that encompassed her mind, body and spirit. I consider myself very fortunate to have met her and her wonderful sister Meridel on more than one occasion and to converse via email now and then. After just a few minutes of speaking with her, it was easy to tell that she loved meeting the fans and yet talking to her and her sister was a comfortable as chatting with a friend you hadn't seen in a while. She would listen with interest and appreciation and if you told her something funny, you were the recipient of that wonderfully infectious and beautiful laugh of hers. I can't imagine a fan walking away after meeting her and not having a smile on their face and a feeling that they'd just made a new friend.

Yvonne Craig made this world a better place for having been here; and it is a much sadder place now that she's gone. My condolences and prayers to her husband Kenneth Aldrich, her sister Meridel and her two nephews, Christopher and Todd Carson.

Rest In Peace and enjoy the Kingdom of Heaven.
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Dr. Shimel wrote:On ABC's nightly news, they actually took the time to (briefly) note Yvonne's death, which tends to be a rarity these days--even on those shows that focus on entertainment. Bravo ABC.
Various NBC affiliates carried the news, too.

Too bad the clips shot in the 80s of Adam, Burt, Yvonne and Julie (were they bumpers or for a special?) walking around some street set is not available. That would be nice to see right now.
Beneath Wayne Manor
rajung

Post by rajung »

R.I.P Yvonne
Sure makes a person take a step back and think about how short life really is.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

In every photo I've seen she, amazingly, continued to look pretty. She had an extraordinary life.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!