Yvonne Craig - May 16, 1937 – August 17, 2015 :(

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

RAMjet

Re: Yvonne Craig - May 16, 1937 – August 17, 2015 :(

Post by RAMjet »

I am sitting at the kitchen table of the Rescue Squad and am numb having just heard of the passing of Yvonne. I serve on the fire chief's honor guard and attend many memorial service in that roll. There is a poem that I have come to know that I would like to share that truly encapsulates the caring and spirt that Yvonne lived her public life by, I hope it is as meaningful to you as it is to me.

The Dash by Linda Ellis

I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her headstone
from the beginning...to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth
and spoke of the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all
was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
that she spent alive on earth...
and now only those who loved her
know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own;
the cars....the house...the cash.
What matters is how we live and love
and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard...
are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left.

If we could just slow down enough
to consider what's true and real,
and always try to understand
the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives
like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
and more often wear a smile...
remembering that this special dash
might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy's being read
with your life's actions to rehash...
would you be proud of the things they
say about how you spend your dash?
Hedji

Post by Hedji »

We've lost so many wonderful actors this year, and I've been moved by each of them.

But this one is different.

Yvonne has been in my thoughts all day long. I thought about how even at such a young age, I felt so excited when the credits would indicate a Batgirl episode was coming up. I thought about how many young boys and girls she inspired with her jubilant performance. I thought about my deep regret that I never met her, yet feel like I've known her all my life. I thought about her family and close friends. I thought about how happy I am to have grown up in a world that included such a lovely, lovable human being. I thought about how Yvonne will live forever in our hearts and minds, and how we will teach our grandchildren to love and remember her long after we depart this earth.

If by chance, Yvonne's family and circle of friends are reading this, please know how dearly we love her, and how grateful we are that you shared her with all of us.
Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero »

Like everybody else here on the board, I too am saddened at the loss of such a lovely and classy lady. I met her at a Con several years ago and got a personal photo of us together, and she autographed her book for me. This was shortly after the movie "Back To The Batcave" was on TV. I asked her if it was true that Adam "accidentally" grabbed her breast in that one scene; she gave an emphatic "No" and said a friend of hers asked why she didn't sue him for sexual harassment, and she replied "Because it NEVER HAPPENED!" When I asked her why she thought that scene was in there, she shrugged and said, "Well you know, sex sells, but I'm surprised Adam allowed that to be put in the movie, since it was obviously untrue."

She can now dance the Batusi in Heaven with Neil, Stafford, Alan, Madge, Eartha, Frank, Burgess, and Cesar.

Rest In Peace, Yvonne Craig. May God welcome you into His Heavenly Kingdom.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

I'm both shocked and saddened by this news.
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Very sad news indeed. As I was preparing to go to bed Monday night/Tuesday morning around 3am, I was getting everything settled in the house to close up for the night. For some STRANGE reason my mind shot to the Batman panel I moderated at a convention several years ago. It was a magical day.

A fan in the Q&A asked the panel members who had also appeared on "Star Trek" (Yvonne, Julie, Malachi, Lee) what their thoughts were on William Shatner versus Adam West. Before anyone could say a word Yvonne stood up and said, "I'll take that!" Yvonne clearly had no love for Mr. Shatner and went on a hilarious diatribe about how Adam was the perfect gentlemen, was kind, considerate, etc. etc. etc. - all the while inferring that Shatner was none of those things in an indirect way. It's a moment I'll never forget and she brought down the house.

Thinking about it Monday night/Tuesday morning made me chuckle. Then I find out Tuesday evening that Yvonne had passed away late Monday night; about 4 hours before that wonderful recollection randomly popped into my mind. I'm tellin' ya, folks...it's WEIRD!

I came across a wonderful piece of commercial copy in my audition inbox recently. I didn't book the job, but I kept the copy because it resonated so highly with me. I figured it was appropriate here.

Gone From My Sight
Author Unknown

I am standing upon the seashore.
A ship, at my side, spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.
Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone."
Gone where?
Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast, hull and spar as she
was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.
And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"
And that is dying...

R.I.P. Yvonne...
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Shatner did have the decency to tweet a note of condolence yesterday.

I would hope that the Emmy "In Memorium" segment next month includes Yvonne. It's not like they're lacking in TV appearances.

Interestingly, she appeared in the pilot of "I'm Dickens, He's Fenster," which co-starred John Astin, who is the only pre-Batgirl villain still alive.

I'm guessing that Yvonne was on the producers' radar (Horwitz's anyway) since she did four different episodes of 77 Sunset Strip, which Horwitz produced.
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

I'm tellin' ya, folks...it's WEIRD!
Thanks for your anecdote, Wally.

I know what you mean about the coincidence of Yvonne's passing and there just being something in the air. Tuesday morning, my 7 year old daughter, a big Batgirl fan, awoke and randomly asked to watch her favorite Batman Batgirl episode ("Surf's Up, Joker's Under") while she ate breakfast. And she's watched several since. She hasn't watched Batman in a couple months. And she's been wearing her Batgirl shirts all week at summer camp. This without my ever mentioning Yvonne or my daughter seeing me look at memorial stuff online. It's been sort of a living memorial at our house this week - sad, but at the same time, it's uplifting to know Yvonne's Batgirl is still around as an example of an empowered, positive female superhero all these years later. That's a pretty awesome legacy.

RRR
BG1.jpg
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Dynamic Duo

Post by Dynamic Duo »

So sad, with all the resurgence of the original TV series and the renewed rewards for her Batgirl portrayal were at hand....
"Atomic batteries to power...Turbines to speed...."
"Roger...ready to move out!"
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Batman65 wrote:
Dr. Shimel wrote:On ABC's nightly news, they actually took the time to (briefly) note Yvonne's death, which tends to be a rarity these days--even on those shows that focus on entertainment. Bravo ABC.

CBS evening news did the same, along with the funeral for the Baltimore Batman. Just so sad. Still can't believe it. Watching Batman season 3 tonite in tribute to Yvonne.
NPR also had a nice piece about her. They played a few clips from the show and talked about how she impacted the character and the tone by being a role model for young girls. In fact, that's how I found out. I was driving home from work. Sadly, it became one of those "I remember where I was" moments.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

An article about Yvonne's influence with girls and for equal pay for women:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... d-fair-pay
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

Dr. Shimel wrote:Shatner did have the decency to tweet a note of condolence yesterday.

I would hope that the Emmy "In Memorium" segment next month includes Yvonne. It's not like they're lacking in TV appearances.

Interestingly, she appeared in the pilot of "I'm Dickens, He's Fenster," which co-starred John Astin, who is the only pre-Batgirl villain still alive.

I'm guessing that Yvonne was on the producers' radar (Horwitz's anyway) since she did four different episodes of 77 Sunset Strip, which Horwitz produced.
Here is her segment on that episode; at the 3:50 mark:

I'm Dickens He's Fenster
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer
dell

Post by dell »

Here is the link to the NPR story.

NPR story on Yvonne Craig
dell
kennetzel

Post by kennetzel »

She will be missed. I was surprised to see the news as a friend of mine posted her obituary on my Faceboook timeline. I almost met her this past June at the Niagara Falls Comic Con. But shortly before the show, she cancelled due to what she said was "Abdominal Surgery." And attending the show would compromise her immune system. She said nothing about breast cancer...she kept it secret so well. She also said she hoped to make it back to the east coast sometime soon, so I held out hope that I would eventually meet her. Now my hopes have been shattered at the sad news of her loss. RIP Yvonne. We all loved you. You left a special place in our hearts that now has a void that can never be filled. God bless you.
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

I can only echo what all of you have said regarding Yvonne. It seemed she faced her illness with tremendous courage and dignity, and that she would want for all of us to face her unexpected and untimely passing with the same courage and dignity. That is something each and every post I have read consisted of. Just another example of how fleeting this life is, how temporary, and how swiftly time can pass us by. Savor every day, every moment. For time is defined as...

Yesterday's laughter...Tomorrow's tears...
riddler123

Post by riddler123 »