Title Sequence Villains

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Killer Moth

Title Sequence Villains

Post by Killer Moth »

Who can we identify as villains in the title sequence cartoon? Joker, Penguin, Catwoman... and maybe False Face?
mattman

Re: Title Sequence Villains

Post by mattman »

There appears to be a very hairy man, werewolf like followed by a lizardy villain, Killer Croc?
Perhaps these 2 were in the command just added to the titles
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Clayface is in there, too.

The "scaly" bad guy is a one-shot villain called King Cobra, who appeared in a 1961 story that introduced the original Silver Age Bat-Girl (not Barbara Gordon, but Betty Kane, neice of Kathy "Batwoman" Kane).

The story was reprinted in a Batman Annual story in spring of 1964 -- about the time Dozier and the Greenway gang would have been researching Batman. In an earlier discussion of the opening-title bad guys, there was speculation about whether or not King Cobra was ever considered for inclusion in the show. No evidence (other than this) was ever found to support the theory, but it's an interesting one to consider.

Cheers,

QQ

P.S. Killer Croc wasn't introduced until the 80s.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Cool, cheers for that, that is knowledge!
Croc was just a clutch at straws , I thought he was a later villain. King Cobra appeared in the Brave and the Bold.
According to sources, there was no mention of King Cobra being considered, however a Rita the Ripper was!
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Here is one of the original pen drawings and it's inked cel!
mattman

Post by mattman »

Wow! That is superb! Where did you get that from? Also, the writing above , I cannot decipher if they are names or not
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Back when I was a schnick I always wished they had included the green scaley guy (whom I now find out was King Cobra - thanks, folks!) as a live action villain. Green people are scary. I submit as a reference the first time any kid saw Richard Bakkalyn as green-faced Verdegree skulking about the Gotham City Library in Season 3's 'The Joker's Flying Saucer'. Creepy factor - 10 out of 10! :o As a matter of fact, that whole episode was unsettling for a kid what with the mysterious music, the searchlights, the outdoor night-time filming, green-faced martians and the like!
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

mattman wrote:Wow! That is superb! Where did you get that from? Also, the writing above , I cannot decipher if they are names or not
The writing above is more than likely colour codes.
Killer Moth

Post by Killer Moth »

Thanks for that information and the cool cell animation! If you've got any more you'd like to share, I'd love to see them!

Do we know for sure that Clayface is the guy with the sack on his head?

And one thing I noticed about season 3: Batgirl's animation is mostly moving a single cell, except the final driveby at the end, where Batgirl starts out looking forward but ends by turning her head and looking at the camera.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

A second set of drawings and it's inked cel.
Killer Moth

Post by Killer Moth »

Very cool - that one fellow very much resembles Clayface now that we see his upper body...
Catfan

Post by Catfan »

A. Pennyworth wrote:Here is one of the original pen drawings and it's inked cel!
I wonder if the guy on the left would have been Hugo Strange. Though this one is hairy (and Hugo Strange is normally bald), the whiskers and white outfit make me wonder if he might be that character.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Here is the thug that Batgirl kicks, has to be 3rd season as this guys eyes are open, when Batman punches him (season 1-2), he has closed eyes!

Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Hey Catfan,

Isn't a bald character pictured in the cell in the title which features Panguin, Joker, and Catwoman?

If I'm right, and I didn't check, this guy might be Doctor Hugo Strange. I would love to have seen him in the show, maybe played by Vincent Price.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!