CHILLER CON

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

chetchumley

CHILLER CON

Post by chetchumley »

Will be heading to the CHILLERCON tomorrow morning to see its HUGE CELEBRITY line up...including,,,a BATMOBILE...BATCYCLE...& BATBOAT...hope to post photos soon as possible,
Dave from the UK

Re: CHILLER CON

Post by Dave from the UK »

What was it like? Did you take many photo's?

I nearly convinced the Mrs. that we should cross the pond for this one, so I'd be interested to know how good it was.
Jimmongan

Post by Jimmongan »

I attended on Friday night. West charged $100 to sign my item (and of course would only personize), Ward charged $80, and Newmar charged $60. The money they are charging is really getting ridiculous and thankfully I do not have any other items I would need to get them to sign so I am done.
COPPRODUCTIONS

Post by COPPRODUCTIONS »

I was set up as a vendor, so I did not really get enough time away from the table to wait in line for any autographs. I DID get a chance to see the vehicles in all their glory, and they were INCREDIBLE replicas. As I was leaving on Sunday the folks with the replica "Lost in Space" Chariot were loading it on the flatbed and I could not resist pulling over and chatting with them for a few minutes. Can't say I disagree about the price of signatures, but it was a BLAST to be around so many bat-fans and I was gratified that my resin upgrade for the Moebius 66 Batman figure was very well received. VERY cool show!
Tom
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Yes, the prices have gotten really crazy (twice what they were only four years ago) - but I guess it's important to remember that this is Adam's last tour. I was very happy to finally meet Julie Newmar - she doesn't get to the east coast very often. She was most gracious, Burt was very friendly as always, and Adam was in good spirits. Even Fred seemed reasonably pleasant! :lol: I had nice chats with all of the actors. And, I got to debut my latest hand-made prop replica at the photo op. When I walked into the room with it, Fred totally nerded out and correctly identified it as the Super-powered Batmagnet from Part Two of the Bookworm episode from Season One, "While Gotham City Burns."
chiller2015smallscan.jpg
I had a great time!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
I act the riddler

Post by I act the riddler »

Chiller was a fun time. Was the joker,riddler and penguin throughout the weekend.Had a nice pic with Julie.(Can't figure out how to post pictures on this site.) Heres the bad news: I wanted to do a short scene from batman as the joker. Told Fred I WILL PAY FOR IT! He said no. In the meantime,a celeb comes by and bypasses the line. The time he spent talking to the celeb, I could have done the 30 second scene, they would have made money signing nothing.Andrew would not take my card. The hell with these people.I am conventions making people laugh all day long forgetting their problems. Somebody told me you could not talk to them at the photo opt w Adam and Burt.Im done with these people.
Please do not embed videos into signatures.
- The management.
COPPRODUCTIONS

Post by COPPRODUCTIONS »

I saw you as the Penguin Sunday afternoon out by the vehicles, great job. The kids were just eating it up! Y'know it's a funny thing celebrity. Back in the day I was set up at a show where one of the dealer's room was LITERALLY in the underground parking lot of the hotel. My table was right next to Frank Gorshin, which I thought was kinda odd; I KNEW why I was out in the dregs, but WHY one of the draw guest's? Turns out he ASKED to be out there so he could smoke at the table. NEITHER of us did a lot of business, but for the TABLE fee of not much more than an AW signature, I had virtual non-stop face time with one of my favorite actors of all time, who also turned out to be just the nicest and most interesting guy. And I actually made HIM laugh a couple times ( I told him when I came home smelling like cigarette smoke my girlfriend would think I'd been out drinking. Or at an AA meeting. LOL).
My car was parked not too far from where the bat-vehicles and the Chariot where. As a life-long model builder it was just WAY cool to be THAT close to the OTHER stars I loved growing up, and have NEVER let me down with swollen egos (although I DID have to sacrifice my PRIMO parking space in front of the hotel to the Batmobile when it arrived, LOL).
Tom
West Fan

Post by West Fan »

Edited.
Jersey Jim

Post by Jersey Jim »

I went to the show on Saturday..Let me start off by saying, I love the 66 Batman and Robin, they were and still are a big part of my childhood that I will never get over! With that being said, I was VERY disappointed with the way Adam and Burt treated their loyal fans who stood in a hot narrow hotel hallway for over an hour and a half paying anywhere from $100-$129 and they didn't even acknowledge anyone who walked into the "photo op studio"..as a matter of fact we were instructed not to touch or shake hands and if you talk to them they may not answer you!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing!! I walked into the room and there was Adam & Burt sitting in their chairs like two wax figures not moving not even making eye contact!! I went behind them, I said hi and congratulations on 50 years.. I thought they would have appreciate hearing that...NOTHING!! Now I know that doing these kind of shows must be hard and exhausting but I don't put all the blame on them..its Fred and Andrew!! These two guys ruined our Hero's.. our idols..all for the mighty dollar!! How is an average middle class person supposed to afford to see these icons? Adam $100, Burt $80, Julie $60, photo op $100 -$129 tickets to get in $25!! On average the autographs for other celebrities were $30-$40! As for " I act the Riddler".. I met him a few times at conventions and he is a great guy who lightens up the mood of the people and the kids who are getting aggravated waiting in line..and guess what he doesn't charge for a picture!! I'm with him.. As long as Fred and Andrew are in "charge" I'm done with them also!!
Dave from the UK

Post by Dave from the UK »

I have to say that some actors, promoters, agents etc that are involved in these appearances don't realise that us punters are paying for an "experience" not an autograph/photograph.

Because who in their right mind would pay $50+ for just an autograph on a piece of memorabilia?

I'm sure most of us punters just want a few minutes of enthusiastic / polite conversation with someone we admire or was a hero to us when we were growing up. It's really not a lot to ask for considering the sums of money people are parting with.

That said. I meet Adam here in the UK 10 years ago and he was very nice and spent a good few minutes talking to me.

Also I meet Julie in Rhode Island 2 years ago and I can't say enough nice things about her. She treated everyone in her queue like royalty.

I've probably meet 50 actors I've admired in the last 3 years and most of them have been great. I can only think of 1 that was rude, 1 that seemed like he didn't want to be there and 1 that didn't even bother to look up from the photo he signed. That is no way to treat a fan that has spent a long time waiting and a lot of money.

To all the guys and girls on this board that were disappointed with the way you were treated can I just say that you all deserve to be treated better for the effort you went to and the money you parted with. Fingers crossed a little good karma is coming your way in the future.
I act the riddler

This is a response to westfan: I wanted to do a short 30 sec scene NOT BEING FILMED as the joker.If I am entitled does not matter. I know its not the usual thing at cons.If fred had any brains in his head He just would have done it as a one time thing.He knows me. Also he even told me last year he likes what I do with the characters?The time they spent talking to a celebrity that stopped by could have been the time. Business card to the other manager. IT"S THE ATTITUDE.Read jersey jims paragraph one more time.Its a free country. I can do scenes or ask to do scenes whenever I want. Im on this board because I love the show, and love doing the characters.
- The management.
West Fan

Post by West Fan »

Edited.
Jimmongan

Post by Jimmongan »

I have been to several shows through the years and have had West, Ward, and Newmar sign different items for me. In my experience meeting them Ward and Newmar were generally friendly and willing to chat for a moment but West always seemed a little aloof and disinterested. I am sure sitting at a table for hours signing autographs and taking pictures can be trying and everyone is entitled to a bad day but at the prices they are now charging maybe a little more could be expected. If you have never met any of them I would agree that you should lower expectations since they are only doing this for the money and you will only get a moment with them when your turn comes up.

I also find it very annoying that West will only personalize items and not just sign his name on anything. I could understand that if he was doing it for free and not wanting someone to turn around and sell item for a nice profit but at $100 for his signature I think the person should be able to do whatever they want with item since he is already making his money upfront.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Hmmm, I seem to remember meeting Adam in Green Bay at the World Of Wheels car show, in costume mind you, in 1989 and never paid a cent! It's extremely sad to see how things have definitely changed. I love 66' batman, always have, always will, but I will never pay a cent for ANYBODY's autograph..period.
I act the riddler

Westfan : Lines were the biggest I"ve seen for adam. You might have waited 2 hours, but you would have had a great time.Still the environment is always good. Hope to meet you one day at these conventions!
- The management.