Burt Reynolds as Batman?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

Burt Reynolds as Batman?

Post by Dr. Shimel »

In his new book, Burt Reynolds hints that he was up for the role. I've never heard that, but he's not clear about whether he was simply considered or offered it. Of course, celeb autobiographies tend to be self-serving (hi Burt Ward)--let the comments begin! :lol:
Batman65

Re: Burt Reynolds as Batman?

Post by Batman65 »

Burt Reynolds as batman...um, no!
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Um, yeah! When you factor in the parade of post-West Batmen, why not? In his book Adam West said he was hired for the movie 'Hooper' partially because of his resemblance to Burt Reynolds. Actually I could see Reynolds doing it. Especially if you're talking about the 1989 movie. He'd have been far and away more suitable than that non-athletic shrimp Keaton, or colorless "carved out of silly putty" Ben Affleck. They could always cover his stache with greasepaint, like Cesar Romero. :|

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

As Batman? No.
As Shame? Maybe.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Progress Pigment wrote:Um, yeah! When you factor in the parade of post-West Batmen, why not? In his book Adam West said he was hired for the movie 'Hooper' partially because of his resemblance to Burt Reynolds. Actually I could see Reynolds doing it. Especially if you're talking about the 1989 movie. He'd have been far and away more suitable than that non-athletic shrimp Keaton, or colorless "carved out of silly putty" Ben Affleck. They could always cover his stache with greasepaint, like Cesar Romero. :|

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that our beloved, young, (and late) Roscoe P Coltrane..James Best in that pic?
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Burt Reynolds as Batman and Dom DeLuise as Robin. Now that I'd have even paid to see! Just imagine Robin singing 'French Mistake' from the end of Blazing Saddles to Joker, Penguin, Riddler, and Catwoman... "One...two...three... Now...watch...me...criminals!" :P
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Batman65 wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that our beloved, young, (and late) Roscoe P Coltrane..James Best in that pic?
Yes sir, it is. But not really young. Like from the old Andy Griffith show. He and Reynolds were good friends and Burt gave him parts in several of his movies.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

I mainly remember James Best as Jeff Myrtlebank from Twilight Zone; I never watched Dukes. Just saw him on an episode of Lone Ranger as couple days ago from '55.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

WaltP wrote:I mainly remember James Best as Jeff Myrtlebank from Twilight Zone
Where his lovely lady was none other than Pauline herself: Sherry Jackson. :)
Attachments
PaulineBread.jpg
PaulineBread.jpg (16.3 KiB) Viewed 8292 times
SJTZ.jpg
Bat-Tiger

Post by Bat-Tiger »

Yellow Oval wrote:Burt Reynolds as Batman and Dom DeLuise as Robin. Now that I'd have even paid to see! Just imagine Robin singing 'French Mistake' from the end of Blazing Saddles to Joker, Penguin, Riddler, and Catwoman... "One...two...three... Now...watch...me...criminals!" :P
I don't know what's scarier, Dom as Robin or Jerry Reed.
/|\=^..^=/|\
60s TV Fan

Post by 60s TV Fan »

I really can't imagine anyone doing the "camp" Batman any better than Adam West, but if you check out Reynolds as Quint Asper on Gunsmoke, I think he would have done a fine job as Batman, maybe in a little more "serious" take of the character.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

The only Burt Reynolds I'm familiar with are the Cannonball run movies and some parts of his other 70s era car movies. Usually I'm for actors doing something different but this just feels completely off. I can't see him doing the role without "winking at the audience."

West really knew how to deliver the material, well...they all did. The writing became worse as the show went on, most likely a result from misunderstanding the fine line the show walked between camp and wit and the incredibly overworked production schedule. Weren't they shooting an episode a week or something?

Who knew the show would be watched fifty years later and discussed like this?
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

robinboyblunderer wrote: The writing became worse as the show went on, most likely a result from misunderstanding the fine line the show walked between camp and wit and the incredibly overworked production schedule. Weren't they shooting an episode a week or something?
They shot 94 half-hour episodes AND a full-length movie in the span of about 16 months. :o I had heard they were filming three scenes at once to keep things going, and when Shelley Winters was on her rant against producers, she sympathetically noted that Adam and Burt were dragging because of the breakneck pace.