Jingle Bells

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Phil B

Jingle Bells

Post by Phil B »

The local station has been doing a promo using the Simpson's version of Robert Goulet's Jingle Bells with the line Robin lays an egg.
The version I remember is:
Jingle Bells
Batman smells
Robin's flown away
The Batmobile
Has lost a wheel
And all on Christmas Day.

I was wondering if there is a version using egg or is this simply a Simpson's thing.
scottmandew

Re: Jingle Bells

Post by scottmandew »

I've never heard "Robin's flown away" before. When I was a kid (I'm 51 now), it was always "Robin's laid an egg."
We thought we'd have to teach our son about the world. Turns out we have to teach the world about our son. They see a boy who cannot speak. We see a miracle who doesn't need words.
http://www.ourjourneywithoneofgodsmirac ... gspot.com/
Dave from the UK

Post by Dave from the UK »

scottmandew wrote:I've never heard "Robin's flown away" before. When I was a kid (I'm 51 now), it was always "Robin's laid an egg."
In the UK it's always been Robin's flown away. Maybe there's some British influence at that station.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

The version I always heard in my part of the Midwest in the U.S.A. went:
Jingle Bells,
Batman Smells,
Robin laid an egg,
The Batmobile
Threw a wheel
And the Joker
Got away...Hey!
As for the variations ( mine included), all I can guess is that it is a similar to the game of "gossip" .
( For those of You who don't know or remember, People stand in a circle and one person starts off by telling their neighbor in the circle something somewhat complicated. That person tells the person next to them and so on until it gets back around the circle to the original person who ten tells the entire circle of folks just what it was that He or She originally started. I can see how this might have been sent over seas via pen pals ( the pre P.C. version of E-mails for those of You who don't know about pen pals. I had several myself during the 50's, 60's. and 70's. :D )
That's it from Fairborn, Ohio, U.S.A.
Merry Christmas to All!!!!!
Larry
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Dave from the UK wrote:

In the UK it's always been Robin's flown away. Maybe there's some British influence at that station.
I guess the UK/Aussie connection is going to be a strong one. I just thought there might have been a version that had a line rhyming with egg.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Robin laid an egg......
And we always said
Lost a wheel, grew up Detroit subs.
Merry Christmas citizens!
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

In the old Batman Animated Series, Mark Hamil sings this song with an additional verse. You can find it on youtube. :)
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

I'll check it out when I can. Hope Your Holiday has gone fine! Mine has. Do You and Your wife have Your water wings on yet........( For those who don't know, St. Louis is about to float away with all the rain :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Cheers :D
Larry
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Cracked.com looks at the "secret true history of 'Jingle bells, Batman Smells'."

Cheers,

QQ
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

batrunner1966 wrote:Robin laid an egg......
And we always said
Lost a wheel, grew up Detroit subs.
Merry Christmas citizens!

Same here. Maybe it was the Southern California Car Culture I grew up with :)

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Larry A. wrote:I'll check it out when I can. Hope Your Holiday has gone fine! Mine has. Do You and Your wife have Your water wings on yet........( For those who don't know, St. Louis is about to float away with all the rain :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Cheers :D
Never broke out the bat-water wings, ol' chum! ;) I stayed inside where it was warm and dry, like the REST of the sane citizens! :D I sincerely hope you and yours had an enjoyable Christmas, Larry! :)
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

I did Gernot. The same to You and Yours.
Larry