BATMAN PREMIERE Jan 12th Revisited

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

BATMAN PREMIERE Jan 12th Revisited

Post by AndyFish »

Over in another thread there is a proposal to watch the Pilot episode this coming Tuesday January 12th at 730pm as an homage to the original airing 50 years ago that very night.
I'm in, I think this is a nice idea-- I thought we should bring it to the Events section and see if we can make this a board event.
Anyone else planning on doing the same thing?
Attachments
Batman+%281966%29+Batman+is+Coming.jpg
Ben Bentley

Re: BATMAN PREMIERE Jan 12th Revisited

Post by Ben Bentley »

Although we don't have the Video Bat Chat function any longer (the service provider stopped supporting embedded group video chats), i'm debating doing a one off open video chat at a scheduled time for people to join and talk about the pilot episodes and their thoughts on the 50th of the show.

Who fancies it?
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

I really like both ideas! In fact, I was wondering if anyone might be planning on watching all the episodes in order, 50 years after their original air date. Sort of a three year project! I know many episodes have been commented on in the past, but most likely not every one. Perhaps an on going thread to look back at the episodes, week by week.

As for season 1, episode 1, count me in! And I'll try for the chat, too.
:D
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

I'm in! Love the idea!!

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
Dave from the UK

Post by Dave from the UK »

I'll be watching at 19:30 GMT. Awesome idea.
Dave from the UK

Post by Dave from the UK »

Ben Bentley wrote:Although we don't have the Video Bat Chat function any longer (the service provider stopped supporting embedded group video chats), i'm debating doing a one off open video chat at a scheduled time for people to join and talk about the pilot episodes and their thoughts on the 50th of the show.

Who fancies it?
Sounds good Ben.
doubleknotspy

Post by doubleknotspy »

Well, I did watch Hi Diddle Riddle at 6:30pm central tonight. 58 years old and I could clearly remember the excitement. The first episode was viewed by our family in black and white because we did not have a color tv. The next night, we drove to my cousins house to watch it in color. What a thrill. By the following week, dad had surprised the family with a brand new color tv. I must have replayed the script a 1000 times on the playground the following day at school and we all speculated on what would happen to Robin. Can't remember what I had for lunch today, but I can remember all the visuals that this new program offered. What a night to remember. It was fun to be 8 years old again, even if for just a short time. I hope everyone enjoyed the evening.
Batfink

Post by Batfink »

Did the same. I wonder if it was such a cold night out on the East Coast 50 years ago. I was under 2 when it aired. Not sure if I actually saw the premier episode but my Parents used to tell me when the show was first on nothing could distract me from it. Very cool to see it at 7:30pm. Happy Bat Anniversary Batfans!
Sweet Little Buttercup!
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

I only watched part one tonight - I wanted the full experience of what it was like 50 years ago.
Here's a few random things I noticed:

So many extras - at the Moldavia ceremony, in Gordon's office, at the discotheque.
The side exit of Gordon's office.
When they are examining the lawsuit in the Batcave, what is covered up in the foreground?
"Ringside table, Batman?" - I don't see ANY tables at the club!
Really noticed the sparks flying by Robin when he is kidnapped.
Batman hands the officer an ACTUAL key when he is in "no condition to drive."
The first appearance of the Bat signal...and Chief O'Hara shaking his head.
Just how demented Frank's portrayal of the Riddler is...

Can't wait to tune in tomorrow!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I watched both parts. God I love this show! Once again, here's to raising a glass of O.J. In honor of batman. Here here!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'm with Jim-- I'm only watching one episode at a time, but I'm starting tonight since the show was on Wed and Thursday nights. I don't care what the calendar says ;)

I'm going to try and go through Season One this way. We'll see how long I last.
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

And now, more random observations on the conclusion of our first episode "Smack In The Middle"...

I love Gordon's old fashioned "travel mug" for his coffee

Any significance to the graffiti on the walls of the gang's hideout? Who is Dave Welch? (See Scott's excellent photo thread for a closer look at this one.)

I love the Orleans Cove, 6 miles sign

When Batman knocks out the Riddler's transmission, why doesn't he just put on the brakes?

Batman climbing/flying up to the nuclear reactor is a terrific stunt

Two incredible explosions - when Batman saves Robin, and when Riddler's gang blows up the Moldavia floor

During the fight scene, the Riddler's gang's outfits remind me Devo

What a terrific 2-parter!!
doubleknotspy

Post by doubleknotspy »

I have watched this episode many, many times over the years and never thought about the actual batmobile key vs. starter button. That was a good catch. My favorite snafu on the 2nd episode was how the Riddler slid down to the Moldavian party to do his comedy routine and then after the fight scenes he escapes to the same room but this time it is below the party room.... hmmm
Batman42

Post by Batman42 »

i watched the first episode jan 12th 2016 and then i watched the second part last night 13th jan 2016 literally 50 years to the date.

Andrew