50 years to the day

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

60s TV Fan

50 years to the day

Post by 60s TV Fan »

Like many others here, I'm sure, I will be in front of the tv tomorrow (1/12) night and push "play" on the blu ray player at precisely 6:30 pm (50 years to the minute that Hi Diddle Riddle premiered here in the Central Time Zone.) I'm also going to dig into my dvd collection to play some other shows that broadcast on that night; A season 1 episode of Lost in Space entitled "The Keeper: Part 1" (coincidentally guest starring Michael Rennie, who would later play the Sandman on Batman) was broadcast on CBS directly opposite Batman, and The Beverly Hillbillies season 4 episode "The Trotting Horse" aired on CBS at 7:30 CST. Green Acres and The Dick Van Dyke show normally aired on CBS Wednesday nights during the '65-'66 season, but according to IMdB, neither of these aired a first run episode on this night.

On Wednesday, I plan on watching "Smack in the Middle," along with the season 2 Munsters episode "Just Another Pretty Face," which aired directly opposite the Thursday night Batman episodes, followed by a season 2 Gilligan's Island episode entitled "You've Been Disconnected," which aired on CBS at 7 pm CT. Running against Batman on NBC was the season 2 Daniel Boone episode "Seminole Territory," which guest starred a pre- Spock Leonard Nimoy. Rounding out the night will be the season 2 episode of Bewitched, entitled "And Then There Were Three," which featured the birth of Tabitha.

Incidentally, last night I watched "The Return of Barney Fife," from season 6 of The Andy Griffith Show, featuring Don Knotts' return to his signature role 50 years to the day from its original broadcast on Jan. 10, 1966.

The '60s were certainly a great time for television!!
elmrgraham

Re: 50 years to the day

Post by elmrgraham »

I was just thinking,too bad ABC-TV will not rebroadcast the 1st "Batman"episode tomorrow night.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

You could also pick up the third season of The Patty Duke Show, which immediately followed HDD on 1/12/66 with the episode, "Poppo's Birthday."
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Great tv line-up for the evening. I also have the meal planned.
Had to substitute Hungry-Man classic fried chicken dinners, Hi-C fruit punch juice boxes (no cans anymore) and I know I have bought Jiffy-Pop in the last couple of years but I cant find it right now?
60s TV Fan

Post by 60s TV Fan »

That looks like a great idea!!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Don't forget the feet pajamas and to wash behind your ears! :)
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

I'm surprised that no one mentioned it, but I intend to watch the annotated version with Adam West on the Blu-ray extras and raise a tall glass of orange juice, Batman special (only not doped)!
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

I'm filled with nostalgia too...this show changed my life. How can we still be fascinated with this for 50 years? Probably because we get to relive our childhoods.
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

So hard to fathom that tonight at 7:30pm EST, it will mark one half a century since the debut episode "Hi Diddle Riddle" aired on ABC. That time slot has had, at least for me, "Wheel of Fortune" since September 1983.

At the end of 2016, I too will turn a half a century old, specifically Dec. 19th at precisely 7:22am EST. In February the 50th Super Bowl will be played.

I'd like to take time here to remember many of our dearly departed friends who made appearances on our beloved "Batman" series, or who contributed in some way, shape or form to the show. I know I will be omitting many people, so my apologies for that. I have a really bad throat infection, possibly bronchitis and I've hardly slept for the past 4 days.

In loving memory of Alan Napier, Neil Hamilton, Stafford Repp, Madge Blake, Yvonne Craig, George Barris (maker of the Batmobile), Michael Rennie (with lack of quality sleep for 4 days I had to list Sandman as the first villain!), Cesar Romero, Burgess Meredith, Eartha Kitt, Frank Gorshin, Otto Preminger, Eli Wallach, George Sanders, Vincent Price, Anne Baxter, Victor Buono, Roddy McDowell, Walter Slezak, Miss Tallulah Bankhead, Ida Lupino, Howard Duff, Cliff Robertson, Shelly Winters, Liberace, Malachi Throne, Maurice Evans, David Wayne, Art Carney, Van Johnson, Carolyn Jones, Roger C. Carmel, Bruce Lee, Ethel Merman, Milton Berle, Rudy Valley and of course William Dozier and Bob Kane. Countless others whose names I have not mentioned.

Here's to the next 50 years. Congratulations to Adam, Burt, Julie, John Astin, Zsa Zsa (who appeared on the last episode)!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Hi Diddle Diddle will be playing in my dvd player in honor of the 50th anniversary tonite at 7:30! Congrats Adam, Burt & Julie.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

I just found this photo on Facebook and thought the group here would like it. :)

Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

BatmanFan102 wrote:At the end of 2016, I too will turn a half a century old, specifically Dec. 19th at precisely 7:22am EST.
Just had to arrive to see the Puzzler episodes, right? :lol:
Thefanboy59

Post by Thefanboy59 »

Happy Anniversary Batman!
Thanks for the 50 years of joy you have given me.
sullydude

Post by sullydude »

Happy 50th Batman, you've meant so much to me! I will be there at 7:30 watching my blu-ray thrilling, and laughing and dancing the Batusi tonight!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

sullydude wrote:Happy 50th Batman, you've meant so much to me! I will be there...dancing the Batusi tonight!
Though you shouldn't want to attract attention. :D