50 years to the day

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Ben Bentley

Re: 50 years to the day

Post by Ben Bentley »

Happy 50th anniversary to a show that despite being cancelled decades before I was born became so important to me not only as a child, a teen but subsequently as an adult, too. This show and it's fandom has changed my life and yielded so many wonderful experiences and opportunities over the last eleven years, not to mention people I now regard as family and couldn't imagine not having in my life. I'll be forever grateful for the vibrant color that this show brought not only to my TV screen, but also into my life.

I'll raise a tall, fresh orange juice to the one and only incarnation of Batman that I guarantee I will still care about in another fifty years.

Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Happy 50th to a show that changed TV as we know it. The one thing I still appreciate after half a century is that, despite what may now seem goofy, in its own way the show held up heroes as figures of nobility and principles - something completely lost in today's world, and especially the comic world (I'm looking straight at you DC!).

I'm also very appreciative of it starting over 50 years of cool Bat merchandise and putting me on the road very early on as a Batman collector. I wanted and got a Batman bicycle licence plate at Expo '67 in Montreal.

My DVD starts at precisely 7:30 pm!!! :D
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Happy 50th...
Ben Bentley wrote:This show and it's fandom has changed my life and yielded so many wonderful experiences and opportunities over the last eleven years, not to mention people I now regard as family and couldn't imagine not having in my life. I'll be forever grateful for the vibrant color that this show brought not only to my TV screen, but also into my life.

I'll raise a tall, fresh orange juice to the one and only incarnation of Batman that I guarantee I will still care about in another fifty years.
And what he said. :)
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Just saying "50 years" seems like more than a lifetime ago. Its still a vibrant series that has not aged as much as other shows from that or even later years.

Just think, along with Batman (and The Green Hornet come this September), all of those little bits of 1966 merchandising also hit the half-century mark, such as "The Purr-fect Crime" View Master, soundtrack album, the two tie-in novels, etc. Its a wonder--but a happy wonder--that its all still around.

A. Pennyworth wrote:Great tv line-up for the evening. I also have the meal planned.
Had to substitute Hungry-Man classic fried chicken dinners, Hi-C fruit punch juice boxes (no cans anymore) and I know I have bought Jiffy-Pop in the last couple of years but I cant find it right now?
Pennyworth, my blood pressure shot up to 190/100 just looking at your food selections. ;)
Beneath Wayne Manor
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

A. Pennyworth wrote:
AMEN!! Good post there.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Appropriately, it's a Riddler episode, albeit with John Astin.
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

All time favorite show ever! Thanks Batman!
You're Never Too Old to have a Happy Childhood
I act the riddler

Post by I act the riddler »

Happy 50! Was most likely watching that night. Too long ago to remember in 2nd grade.http://youtu.be/Ew-HkqWGcw8
Please do not embed videos into signatures.
- The management.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Just hanging out in the Batcave watching TV tonight! :)
Attachments
Dynamic Trio in Batcave - 50th.jpg
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
60s TV Fan

Post by 60s TV Fan »

In an interesting parallel, just like in 2016, LBJ would give the State of the Union address on Jan. 12, 1966. I guess this explains why there were no episodes of The Big Valley on ABC, Green Acres or Dick Van Dyke on CBS, or Bob Hope Presents the Chrysler Theater on NBC aired on the night of our beloved Batman premier.

I hope everyone is enjoying Hi Diddle Riddle right now... I know I am!!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

60s TV Fan wrote:I hope everyone is enjoying Hi Diddle Riddle right now... I know I am!!
Spoiler alert: Batman is drugged by Riddler's henchman. :lol: :lol:

Interestingly (although it's actually just coincidental), COZI TV will again be showing Frank Gorshin's appearance on The Munsters, Wednesday at 5 p.m.--an episode which ironically went up against, "Give 'Em the Axe," the conclusion of the Riddler/wax museum episode.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Today is also my father's birthday.
I was born almost exactly 9 months later.
Coincidence. ?
Maybe.
Happy Anniversary Chum!.

Watching Hey Diddle now.
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

A glass is raised to my lifelong hero and alter-ego.

“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”