Lewis Wilson BATMAN Fans?

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Lord Death Man

Re: Lewis Wilson BATMAN Fans?

Post by Lord Death Man »

AndyFish wrote:LDM
The cylinders are empty like they were in the serial, we used different colored tubes for each figure so they are all unique on the inside.

Ah, looking at it on the computer, I see now. On my phone it looked like there were little reddish items sticking out of the cylinders :D
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

maniac cop 5 wrote:Lord Death Man I just noticed your location.
My mother was from Osaka.
Amazing how the love of a 71 year old serial stretches across generations and even cultures!
Osaka is about 15 minutes from Kyoto via Shinkansen. It is a wonderful city and an intriguing contrast to Kyoto.

Yes, Batman is indeed an international ambassador that brings people together!!!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Not only did my husband buy the two Superman serials for me, he also got me the two 1940's Green Hornet serials and the Captain Marvel serial. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Mike I've been looking for that photo since 1974.
I've got a lead, and I'll let you know if I manage to track it down.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Lord Death Man wrote:
Szabol wrote:Looking great. I think superman was maroon and green.
Did one of the Superman serials also use different shades of brown for the costume? I think I read that in Filmfax but I am not sure.

I have the Superman tv serial dvd set and I believe on one of the discs, the added narration option says the suit was brown.
Mike Mulitsch

Post by Mike Mulitsch »

Andy that is great news
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Lord Death Man wrote:
Szabol wrote:Very nifty. I am always amazed at colors used in black and white shows to represent colors the camera sees. Light blue and grey, like the comics. Any idea about the colors of the second serial?

I've only seen the figure in black and grey as shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdq4OCxaQ1U
The 1949 serial gave Batman a crimson cape and cowl (so was Robin's cape) as it photographed as black/dark blue. What an interesting looking set of figures that would make!
I'm curious where the info that the batsuit and robins cape were reddish in the '49 serial ?
I'm in the process of nailing down colors for a client and according to John Duncan his vest was red/maroon and the Robin cape and Batsuit are two different values so I don't believe they were the same color.

You can see clearly here with the stunt men that the two capes are different colors...
Maybe a red vest and a red batsuit .

So where does this info come from?

Here is our red vest matched to the 43 vest color but with our "R" changed to reflect the 49 colors and John Duncan in the insert photo.
Attachments
color.JPG
Untitled-1.JPG
stunt actors.jpg
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
CADA

Post by CADA »

Hi Chuck the reason why they said red cape is cause Johhnny Duncan had Photos of him and Batman with red Cape's a lot of People say that Johnny said that is how the costume looked back in 1949 if i remember right he said in an interview or on his web site that is was Maroon and Green maybe he was misquoted because i don't remember him saying the colors in his Book here are the color pictures along with the same picture in black and white that i did to see :D
Attachments
Image6.jpg bw.jpg
Image5.jpg bw.jpg
1949robin.jpg
1949robin.jpg (12.61 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
bat201_lg.jpg
bat201_lg.jpg (20.8 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Thanks!

After I did a little digging , I thought that might have been it.

Yep, it's different than what he told Alex.

Looking at the values of both costumes, If Batman really is red, then Robins vest is red too and the cape is green.

BUT, A colorized photo Alex showed me that John Duncan said was close shows a red vest, green shirt and a black and grey Batman. He told Alex his cape was red but even in the photo, it was a different color.
I think the red and green colors are right, just not where they are shown in those recolors...

SteveA

Post by SteveA »

chuck,
Johnny told me back in '97 when I worked with him that his Vest was Red/ Maroon just like you have it.
His gloves and boots were also the same color. The gloves were electrical / welding gloves with the gantlets
added and the boots were hand made to fit his feet. He said the boots were the most comfortable boots
he had ever worn and he wished he still had them. The shirt was green. Now I want to say the cape was red but we talked about that on the phone years later and my memory on that could be wrong, it was a casual mention while chatting. I had always intended to go see him and get the colors and type of materials from him on both costumes.(too Late now)
CADA

Post by CADA »

HI Chuck and SteveA you guys am sure are right from what i remember Johnny Duncan when he wanted to do color photos told the person that the costumes color look like this however on his book it looks like this
Attachments
robinbook.jpg
robinbook.jpg (27.72 KiB) Viewed 7035 times
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Thanks Guys!!!

Steve, thanks so much for the additional info!!

I wanted to do a green shirt and now I can!

I had an emergency phone meeting with Alex last night (holy hilarious!) , and he was showing me emailed colorized photos coming from John Duncan that were all over the place! Black Batman, Blue Batman , Red Batman, yellow collar on Robin, Red collar with green sleeves. Crazy stuff!
We went over his interview notes and the vest was red/maroon just like Steve A. said here.

In that online interview he simply said maroon and green which is consistent with Steve and Alex's conversations with Mr. Duncan. It's the colorized photos that turn that on it's head.

John wasn't tech savvy enough to answer emails, his wife answered for him, so whoever was doing the colorizing, it wasn't John himself.

At the end of the day, keying off the existing '43 costume parts and our own experience and how the values read in black and white, the costumes will be vintage looking in color and fabrics but not totally unexpected.

Thanks again Guys!!! You all helped me immensely!!!

Chuck...

SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Hi Chuck,
Always happy to help out. You have helped us out with your expertise so many times.
I was trying to do a comparison of Johnny's Cape and Kirk Alyn's Superman cape.
I know Kirk's costume was a light Blue/gray (why some say Gray some Blue) and the Cape
a brick red leaning towards the brown side. ( why some say brown and some red)
Johnny's cape comes so close to looking like it matches the vest in some photos that
I thought it might be a brick/red like Kirk's.
Just a hypothesis though.
_Steven
Attachments
BAtman-Superman.jpg
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I wouldn't hang too much on Johnny's memory-- you're talking A LONG time ago-- do you remember the color of an outfit you wore at a job you had for three weeks?

I know in film, red was often used for black because of the way it photographed and blues were used to warm up faces....? I'm digging at recollection here. So I'd bet Batman wore a red cape and cowl.

For the '43 Batman (which is on deck with Chuck and Lynne soon ;)) the cape matches the cowl in the interior lit scenes so I'm going to guess they're the same color-- the cape we know is blue because we've seen it so quid pro quo the cowl is blue.

The exterior shots sometimes had a different stunt cowl which appeared to have not shell underneath it, and it was more of a tight hood.

Still, fascinating to try and figure these things out isn't it? It is for me.
CADA

Post by CADA »

Hi Andy you really know a lot i really think a book on the 43 and 49 serial really needs to happen new stuff needs to be found along with never before seen photos and more :D :D