Favorite Epilogue

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

raalongi

Favorite Epilogue

Post by raalongi »

I would like to know whgat everyone's favorite epilogue is.

My favorite is the one at the end of "The Joker's Epitaph" . It goes something like this:

Doctor: The hit on the head when Bruce Wayne accidentally fell from the Patty Wagon resores him among us sane people. If only I could do a similar examination on the brain from the Fladermaus Minch!!
Cheif Ohara: What???
Doctor: Fladermaus Minch
Bruce: Your studying German Dick
Dick: Fladermaus Minch - Bruce, that's German for Batman!!
Bruce : Right you are old chum.
Doctor: What wonders there must be in the Fledermaus Minch's head!!
Bruce: Oh I don't know doctor
Commissioner: Oh come now Bruce don't Joke; the Brain of Batman - miraculous!!
Bruce: I'd be willing to make you a bet Doctor. If you ever had the opportunity to study Batman's brain, with all its myraid flaws. I'll bet you'd find it not unlike my own.
Cheif O'hara: Get the smelling salts, Bruce Wayne's having a relapse!!

Hilarious!!!

I also liked the one at the end of "Batman Sets the Pace" when the commissioner calls the and asks Batman if the rumor is true that he's going to California to run for governor!!! Great stuff!!

What are all of your favorites??
Dr. Shimel

Re: Favorite Epilogue

Post by Dr. Shimel »

I like "Dizzoner the Penguin" where Batman quickly shoots down both the Republican and Democratic parties, respectively, in their effort to get him to run for President "in 1968."
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

The best tag line of them all. "Man can not live by crimefighting alone."
66wasbest

Post by 66wasbest »

My personal favorite is in eps#2 when Bruce mourns the death of Molly.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Sort of a running theme to my favorite Bat-epilogues..

1. Zelda's meeting with Bruce Wayne in "A Death Worse Than Fate." She was sympathetic, and one could see she truly considered her criminal life as something to regret. From Baxter's sad delivery, to West's great pause facing the camera--and in the moment, honoring Zelda's request to give the flower to Batman--by pining it to his lapel. Add the score, and that was a great epilogue.

2. Another early 1st season story, "He Meets His Match, the Grisly Ghoul" concludes with more romance-lacing the scene--with the reformed Suzie showing regret for being such a little monster, but giving Dick a surprise kiss, when romance was not suggested as being a part of their relationship (at least from her POV). Perhaps the moment implied Suzie would have explored an interest in Dick--if she avoided the Joker business. Still, it shows the Boy Wonder's other half being sensitive, and not writing Suzie off as just another person deserving of a boot through the gates of Gotham State Prison (like just about every other criminal in town).

3. We are back to the jailhouse departures--again with Wayne--this time, Catwoman is the subject in the epilogue of "Batman Displays His Knowledge" as she effectively kills Bruce's notion of any sort of relationship with Catwoman as the real man, instead of the costumed man she desired. In hindsight, since this turned out to be Newmar's final series appearance as Catwoman, the dialogue served as a somewhat tender closing to her version of the character, not to mention the most "serious" romantic interest Wayne and/or Batman ever enjoyed over the span of all three seasons.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Catfan

Post by Catfan »

Mine are:
[list][*]"Smack In The Middle," where Bruce mourns Molly's death.
[*]"A Death Worse Than Fate," because of the atmosphere. It had a really dark, noirish quality that I really liked very much!
[*]"He Meets His Match, the Grisly Ghoul," which was entertaining because Dick Grayson nearly gives away his secret. [/list]

I agree with Batwinged Hornet and 66wasbest in their assessments of the epilogues!
raalongi

Post by raalongi »

Unother good ending somewhat similar to the "He Meets His Match the Grisley Goul" is the Ending of Holy Rat Race". A reformed Blaze comes to visit Bruce and Dick; she is truly sorry for her own actions
and tells Bruce that he and Batman were the two she was thankful for her reformation.

This was truly a tearful scen e!!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

The first season seemed to favor the "Reformed Moll Comes to Wayne Manor" epilogue, with Suzie, Blaze and Finella all coming there--out of the 17 filmed. In addition, even though she wasn't there, Molly's image was flashed during the final scene of ther pilot.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

My favorite is the ending of the zodiac crimes when Alfred announces that Clam Chowder will be served - it's Dick's favorite. Dick chokes on the news at first, then Bruce assures him he'd be getting even with the clam that almost swallowed him hole(y)
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

'The Bird's last jest'. When Bruce brings in Ballpoint Baxter aka Stanley Ralph Ross and Pengy's reaction to it. "What about the under privileged criminal?"

Priceless.
Edward Nigma

Post by Edward Nigma »

My Top Three (all from Season One):

1) A Death Worse Than Fate
For a children's show (which adults could enjoy), this was an unusually somber and downbeat ending. As the series wore on, Gotham State Penitentiary almost seemed like a happening place to be. Not here, as the grim atmosphere drives home the point that the arch-criminals, for all their undeniable creativity and intelligence and theatricality, ended up with very thin gruel (literally and figuratively) for their efforts. On a happier note, the audience gets to see Batman/Bruce at his absolute best -- determined to hold his foes accountable for their actions but also willing to lend a hand to any arch-criminal seeking to reform. For this viewer, Batman at its very best.

2) While Gotham City Burns
This also shows Bruce/Batman at his very best -- correcting the boastful Bookworm. This is a nice little piece of characterization which shows that Batman is superior to his foes in every respect -- including being better read than they are. Roddy McDowall's sputtering reaction as The Bookworm really drives home the point.

3) Give 'Em the Axe
I like how Bruce, Dick and Aunt Harriet are having a conversation on one level but Bruce and Dick are having a conversation on a completely different level. A sly little scene with nice chemistry between West and Ward.
Bat_Michael

Post by Bat_Michael »

I can't remember the name of the episode but it's the Joker one where he has a magic box that can change time. That monologue Batman has at the end in the waterworks about "How little we know of time. A 4 letter word, yesterday's laughter, tomorrow''s tears!" is just fantastic. Encapsulates the Batman character perfectly.

As does the line of Bruce Wayne's at the end of "He meets his match the Grisly Ghoul" where Bruce tells Dick and Suzy to just be glad that life is full of unanswered questions.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Pengy wrote:'The Bird's last jest'. When Bruce brings in Ballpoint Baxter aka Stanley Ralph Ross and Pengy's reaction to it. "What about the under privileged criminal?"

Priceless.
The story I've always heard is that Stanley Ralph Ross (who played Ballpoint) kept begging to be in one of the shows, and this was the end result. I recall the director (or producer) told him he wouldn't have any lines, so he made it work with an animated performance that saw him wave to Penguin and then trip on the steps while being led out.
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

It's "Fledermaus Mensch" , not minch ;)
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Edward Nigma wrote:My Top Three (all from Season One):

1) A Death Worse Than Fate
For a children's show (which adults could enjoy), this was an unusually somber and downbeat ending. As the series wore on, Gotham State Penitentiary almost seemed like a happening place to be. Not here, as the grim atmosphere drives home the point that the arch-criminals, for all their undeniable creativity and intelligence and theatricality, ended up with very thin gruel (literally and figuratively) for their efforts. On a happier note, the audience gets to see Batman/Bruce at his absolute best -- determined to hold his foes accountable for their actions but also willing to lend a hand to any arch-criminal seeking to reform. For this viewer, Batman at its very best.
Another of Warden Chrichton's advanced theories in penology--as in the form-fitting prison outfit that accentuates the shapely features of its female inmates.
Attachments
Zelda.jpg
Zelda.jpg (31.5 KiB) Viewed 6159 times