Figures Toy Company Next waves?

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
burkestudio

Re: Figures Toy Company Next waves?

Post by burkestudio »

AndyFish wrote:-- and my days of dressing and redressing dolls are over...
Andy,

That literally made me laugh out loud. :lol:

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

did he come with the cape like that or did you swap it?
AndyFish wrote:
IMG_0264.jpg
IMG_0265.jpg
Well Batman arrived, and I think he's a VAST improvement over the initial Batman figure. I know some of you hate the bubble head effect of the removeable cowl, but I couldn't stand the head sculpt on the original or the fact that his belt was too small to fall to just above his shorts-- it was constantly riding up.

THIS one is SOO much better-- the belt is a new larger design that actually fits and I am SO much happier with the markings and the style on the cowl. I think with a sculpted head there's not a lot of ways to make the eyes look right without just putting a couple of black dots in the center of white.

This works and I think it looks better in person than in the pre-release photos. Maybe I'll have to get a Batgirl to complete my set.
I got this, as I do all my figures in this line, from Figures Toy Company directly.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Good eye-- swapped out the cape.
svl

Post by svl »

Easy fix to make an Alfred/Bats without taking off the cloths- just swap the heads. :)
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Of course!
Alfie is going to be a bit buff though.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I had not noticed the hands and feet were fixed. Still, I can't wait to get O'Hara next to Todd's searchlight.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Batgirl is really get a lot of negative comments elsewhere. FTC really dropped the ball with her. The head has two neck holes, she has 4-5 inches of hair, horrid body, poor paints, poorly designed gloves (they should have matched Batman and Robin's design). Really a lot of corners getting cut by FTC for a 30 dollar figure. I think this wave might be about it, the bad word of mouth might just kill sales. I really regret ordering her. Since they didn't get this one right, then Catwoman is in trouble.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Boy Wonder

Post by Boy Wonder »

TBolt wrote:Batgirl is really get a lot of negative comments elsewhere. FTC really dropped the ball with her. The head has two neck holes, she has 4-5 inches of hair, horrid body, poor paints, poorly designed gloves (they should have matched Batman and Robin's design). Really a lot of corners getting cut by FTC for a 30 dollar figure. I think this wave might be about it, the bad word of mouth might just kill sales. I really regret ordering her. Since they didn't get this one right, then Catwoman is in trouble.
I'm happy with mine.
Some people want "Hot Toys" figures at "FTC" prices.
Wait until yours arrives before you make a decision.
That being said, I think that O'Hara is the best of the Wave 5 set.

Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

The belt riding low really helps, too. The fabric looks nice and shimmery.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Ehh, I want a figure that is worth 30 bucks, not some junk I am going to have to fiddle with to make tolerable. THe rest of the line I've been ok with, this one has really lowered the bar. Neca has no problem producing decent 8 inch figures at the same price point. They even managed to design a better body.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Boy Wonder's picture of Batgirl is better than the stock photos, but she still has a big head. I don't object as much to the price, although I agree Neca is doing some great work with the same scale however for some reason without the same level of success. Their Mego-esque Planet of the Apes line died with Taylor and one soldier ape. If I'm not wrong I think each of those were around $30 too.

The Figures line can be had for around $20 if you wait long enough and they are closer to the clunky charm of the original Megos. I think they have been hitting it out of the park with the vast majority of figures they do. I have most of the Mego redos and now that they made a Batman '66 figure that I think looks good I'm much happier. Short of Catwoman who's left for big villains? I don't imagine a big rush for a Puzzler or Minerva figure-- Astin Riddler variant? I hear rumors they're doing Addams Family so that's a possible.

Sanders Mr Freeze? Likeness hasn't been their strong suit but the helmet would be cool. False Face too.

Of the line-- I think the standouts are:
1. Removable Mask Batman
2. Robin
3. Mad Hatter
4. Shame
5. Otto
6. Egghead

I like King Tut but he's way too thin.

The ones I think missed:
1. Joker-- just don't love it. Not a bad figure but the outfit's wrong color, and the face isn't Cesar enough.
2. Batman with head sculpt-- so far off the mark. Bad cape. Bad cowl markings, bad Sweatsuit outfit.
3. Batman with angry head sculpt-- I didn't buy this one-- no improvement over the original.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

^^ I think the line is about done, unless they just keep milking it with variants. False Face and Clock King could still be done (DC used Slezak's likeness in the comics, so it must be available and False face has no likeness issue). The Astin Riddler would be a no brainer. Funko is doing Addams, so not sure if that can even be done in 8 inch with them doing figures.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Boy Wonder wrote: I'm happy with mine.
Some people want "Hot Toys" figures at "FTC" prices.
I posted this months ago, and it still stands: maybe collectors want the same attention to (near) accuracy Mego paid to actor-based figures over 40 years ago...40 years ago--

Compare that to awful FTC scupts--

Can anyone deny FTC failed--and is nowhere near Mego's attention to the actor based sculpts? It has nothing to do with wanting Hot Toys level at FTC prices--but actually trying to live up to the legacy of Mego, instead of buying into the myth (easily shattered by the photo comparisons) of Mego being poor, cheap or generally off.
Beneath Wayne Manor
simm

Post by simm »

Barbara Gordon wedding dress variant from the Penguin episode is popping up. Is this a factory variant or a custom?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Good post Batwinged-- There is a level of paint detail that the original megos have that the new ones don't. I don't think the raw sculpts are that much better 40 years ago-- Chuck would have to pine in since he's the resident sculpt expert.

But still, I do agree, when they miss they miss a lot. Not Six Million Dollar Man miss like Bif Bang did with their Mego figure but still some misses. I'd still argue there are successes, as outlined in my post above.

Burke-- no sooner do I post my days of dressing dolls is over than my Hot Toys Darth Vader arrives, and if you want the light sabre to light up and the voice to work, you have to undress it and install the batteries, so I guess I spoke too soon. ;)