CBS This Morning 1989 News Story Featuring Cast Members

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Kamdan

CBS This Morning 1989 News Story Featuring Cast Members

Post by Kamdan »

I came across this video this evening and thought it would be appropriate to share it. I enjoyed listening to Burgess Meredith's thoughts on the show, as I've rarely heard him reflect on it. In any case, enjoy!

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtjxXEhp-bU[/BBvideo]
John Mack

Re: CBS This Morning 1989 News Story Featuring Cast Members

Post by John Mack »

Thank you for taking the time to post this for us. I remember seeing this in 1989. They kinda deceived the public though. I remember my neighbor seeing so many of these 1966 reunion things in 1989 because of Burton's rubber suit movie that she took her kids to see the Burton film and was totally shocked by it. Her comments? "No, Biff, Bam, Pow. No cool Batmobile. And no cool theme song. And they KILLED The Joker! What the BLEEEP!"

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

Yeah, it was interesting to hear their thoughts on the then upcoming Batman film. I always laugh at hearing stuff like, "Don't bring the kids," because I loved both the 1989 film and the 1960s series/film at the same time when I was even a toddler. My brother was three years older than me, so I pretty much got into whatever he was into, which is where I think my love of Batman and comics in general came from.I've heard that some kids couldn't watch the Burton films, because of what said about it, so I'm glad my parents didn't "restrict" me on what I could and couldn't. If I was scared by anything, it was the opening of the VHS of Batman '89 that had a Diet Coke commercial at the start of it that had fire coming out of the Batmobile's exhaust, because it was so sudden and it was loud.

I never saw it as "evil," like the way Newmar said it was. Just something more closer in tone to the original incarnation of the character. My thoughts as a kid was that just as long it was a guy in a batsuit fighting crime, it was Batman to me, so I was open to any incarnation of the character, including the animated series of the 90s and even the Filmation series. When I got older, I began to more properly distinguish between the different incarnations. Like, I really appreciate the first season of the show, because the subsequent seasons, along with the feature film, got a little too wacky and I think that's where a lot of the criticism of the series stems from. I do appreciate Meredith for saying that they'll save their personal judgments until after they've seen the film. True class act.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

I've always enjoyed Bat reunion clips and this one was nice, too. Thanks for posting it.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

It's certainly an interesting look back at a turning point in the public's perception of Batman. As dark as the films are now, it's easy to forget that as recently as 1989 most of the world still thought of Batman as "Biff, Bang, Pow" and the colorful fun of 20+ years earlier. Now that perception is very different (whether that's a good thing depends I guess on your perspective). If critics thought the Burton version was "not suitable for children," one can only imagine what they'd have made of Nolan's films!

I'm struck by how good everyone looks in this clip, especially Cesar Romero, who really held on to his matinee idol looks for a looooong time.

The really scary part is I remember that "Scope" commercial like it was yesterday.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Dark_Detective

Post by Dark_Detective »

Scope commercial, lmao, I was watching those to and was blown away. Felt like I time traveled. I just wish the interview was longer, it was good to see them again, the way they were back in the day. They all looked great. Thanks for sharing.
mysavageworld.blogspot.com
Chief OHara

Post by Chief OHara »

bitter/sweet I loved the clip but I miss Burgess and Cesar. Hey I just noticed Sprang fan. I love Sprang!!! One of the alltime greats. Loved his prints
Shane Cox

Post by Shane Cox »

Wow this takes me back! 89 was the year I graduated, sad and unbelievable! this was very nice to see!!
dodgr31

Post by dodgr31 »

Thanks for the clip! I missed all those shows, was too busy working, just now catching up.