Vintage Pin Buttons/Badges

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Ben Bentley

Vintage Pin Buttons/Badges

Post by Ben Bentley »

I'm by no means an expert when it comes to a lot of the period items of merchandise from the initial wave of Bat-Mania. On that basis...

Can anyone clue me in with regards to the origins of the buttons/badges in the photo below? Are they all from a set or at least the same line?
$_12.JPG
$_12.JPG (20.63 KiB) Viewed 5414 times
I'm particularly intrigued by (and also looking to acquire) the calling "Calling Batman" badge as it appears to depict a Bat-Signal in the style we saw in the credits of the TV show. It appears to read "DC Comics" rather than National Periodical which makes me think that this was an item that perhaps appeared in the 80's?
$_57.JPG
John Mack

Re: Vintage Pin Buttons/Badges

Post by John Mack »

Ben, get with Ivan on this. He is a total completist on these. Only thing I can add is to be sure they're the real deal, tin litho, not pin backs made with paper stamped over the button. Also, there are color differences for each design and size differences. Ivan can get you up to speed if you so desire.
Music. BAT! Music.
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Ben,
Here you go. This is a list of the different Batman vending buttons from the 60's.
Hope this helps.

Vending Buttons
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

There was a series of 14 initial pins.

Discussed in an old post from 2011

http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... 1315606594
and I've updated my photo montage of pins (just pics...not in my collection!)

click for large image montage

Info from web,
"There were 2 series of these US sets, one featuring green-red-yellow artwork, and another in blue-red-white. Copyright 1966 N.P.P. Inc."

as you can see there was different variations in color and text size.

Not sure about the DC Comic copyright?? anyone else have any additional pins or info??
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The TM version is the modern redo that came out in the early 00s-- I got one for $1.50 from a record shop near me-- if you don't care about the vintage I'd be glad to pick one up for you next week.

The ones from the 60s don't have the TM notice.
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (40.45 KiB) Viewed 5371 times
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Thanks all for the input!
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

Does anyone know anything about this “Bat Pin”? I saw it in an antique mall yesterday and was interested in taking a closer look at it. However, the proprietor was just too busy having his lunch to speak to me or even notice me. Anyway, I wanted to inspect the back to see if it’s aged or new looking. Are these pins vintage ‘60’s or new creations? He had three of them so that makes me suspicious. They weren’t priced (of course) but I see them online for an average of $10. It’d itis vintage, I may return to the store, but not during meal hours. :D

Thanks for the feedback.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I've seen that pin over and over again through the years-- I've always thought it was from the 70s. There was a yellow version that came out for the '89 film but this one I saw earlier as a kid. It's not rare but it is vintage. It's also not authorized which is why it says Bat Pin and not Batman and has no (c) or TM on it.
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

Andy,
Thank you very much for the reply. I appreciate it.