In the King Tut episode....I'll be a Mummy's Uncle, How many

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

greatlakes6

In the King Tut episode....I'll be a Mummy's Uncle, How many

Post by greatlakes6 »

Lines do you think are improvised? This is one of my favorite episodes. As I've mentioned in other posts, I really came to appreciate the comedic genius of Victor Buono over the years. In this episode where King Tut accidentally discovers the Batcave under Wayne Manor, Buono has an array of off the cuff sarcastic one liners. After realizing just how many of these hilarious comments he makes, I have to wonder how many were scripted and how much leeway he was given to improvise on his own. It never gets old, his timing was impeccable.
Ben Bentley

Re: In the King Tut episode....I'll be a Mummy's Uncle, How many

Post by Ben Bentley »

Without combing the script it's hard to say. One thing I am certain of though is that for me, Victor was one definitely one my highlights throughout Season Three in an otherwise chaotic and flailing period in the show's run.
johndeblasi

Post by johndeblasi »

Absolutely!! He was my favorite next to Julie. His sarcastic cracks and his movement and facial expressions were the best. You really needed to watch him constantly not to miss anything that he would do. Just the best.
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

johndeblasi wrote:Absolutely!! He was my favorite next to Julie. His sarcastic cracks and his movement and facial expressions were the best. You really needed to watch him constantly not to miss anything that he would do. Just the best.
Exactly! I started to just watch him and between his facial expressions, gestures, and wisecracks, he was really entertaining and far more than a big guy in a colorful outfit.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Victor really started to kick it into high gear with the humor in the Lee Meriwether episode in S2. His phone conversation with her "father," John E. Carson, is a classic.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Dr. Shimel wrote:Victor really started to kick it into high gear with the humor in the Lee Meriwether episode in S2. His phone conversation with her "father," John E. Carson, is a classic.
"Hello, Dad?!"...

An absolutely great scene. I have some mixed feelings about Stanley Ralph Ross' overall impact on the show, but dialogue like that of the scene you mentioned certainly forgives some of his faults for me.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Ben Bentley wrote:
Dr. Shimel wrote:Victor really started to kick it into high gear with the humor in the Lee Meriwether episode in S2. His phone conversation with her "father," John E. Carson, is a classic.
"Hello, Dad?!"...

An absolutely great scene. I have some mixed feelings about Stanley Ralph Ross' overall impact on the show, but dialogue like that of the scene you mentioned certainly forgives some of his faults for me.
There's also these gems:

"If the Caped Crumb is here, the cowled creep can't be far behind."

"It isn't that I love you any less, Batman. Simply that I love me more."

"When we get to the Royal Oil Boiling Room, be sure to prepare some real boiling royal boiling oil to boil the Boy Wonder in. Royally."

With regard to "Mummy's Uncle," there's this mind-bender:

[to Gordon] "I know, and so would you if you knew what I know; and if I know you, no doubt you know what I now know. Why waste my time with someone who knows, I have to find someone who doesn't know."

[to Chief O'Hara] "Do you know?"
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

"Curse you, Batman!! May you fall down a flight of stairs and break every tooth in your head except one and for that may you have a toothache fr the rest of your life which won't be that long!!"
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

to Gordon] "I know, and so would you if you knew what I know; and if I know you, no doubt you know what I now know. Why waste my time with someone who knows, I have to find someone who doesn't know."

I love that line too. My daughter cracks up when he says "My Royal Bubala".
High C

Post by High C »

I doubt many lines were improvised. There just wasn't time for that considering these eps were filmed in three days. I will say that Stanley Ralph Ross understood Buono's take on the character so that made the writing appear seamless.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
dell

Post by dell »

He overacts so much that it should be embarrassing to watch, but I love his episodes.
dell
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

dell wrote:He overacts so much that it should be embarrassing to watch, but I love his episodes.
It was Victor who said that the show emphasized what every acting teacher told him NOT to do: over-act, i.e. ham it up, chew the scenery, etc.
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

Victor was definitely a bright spot in season 3.
riddler123

Post by riddler123 »

Best episode of season 3 for me. And one of the best in the series. I'm shocked he has only had 2 stories (plus one cameo) in the 66 comic