Is the Tim Burton Batman on it's Way to Being Forgotten

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

robinboyblunderer

Re: Is the Tim Burton Batman on it's Way to Being Forgotten

Post by robinboyblunderer »

I think it's a terrible movie but here's an interview with screenwriter Sam Hamm:

http://comicsalliance.com/sam-hamm-inte ... im-burton/
crazedvillain

Post by crazedvillain »

I didn't care for the change in the Batman origin with the Joker being made the murderer of Bruce Wayne's parents. Hamm wasn't responsible for that, it was the other writers that came in. It was a common thug who died a common thug, that's Batman's stark beginnings, not because of a super-villain. And the Joker was too much center stage as it was.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

The final arbitrator. The 1989 is getting 72% on the "Rotten Tomatoes" site, which tends to be "the voice of the people" as far as movie reviews online are concerned, and Batman 1966 gets 79%. :) Fantastic. These numbers would have been waaaay different 10 years ago. And the 1966 Batman movie is not even close to being as good as the full first season of Batman! Yes, the Tim Burton Batman is thankfully set aside for the superior Nolan films, and Dozier series.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
bat lugosi

Post by bat lugosi »

I'm all over the place, I prefer Batman 1989 and Batman Returns over Batman 1966 the Movie, but prefer Batman 1966 series over all.
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

Hi all,

I wouldn't have thought it in the long run, but the '89 Batman is becoming a footnote in that decade's nostalgia rather than a stand out mark. And after viewing it again recently, it does appear, surprisingly, dated.

Though it and 'Returns" run circles around the Bale snore-fest.
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
WalrusIsPaul

Post by WalrusIsPaul »

I have only seen the first one all the way through.It was ok,but im so entrenched in the 60s series,have been since i 1st seen it when i was 6 yrs old in 1975.so, i always compare the movies to it and pass on the movies.I don't own any of the movies on dvd,or for that matter vhs either. Since i only seen the 1st one all the way through. I haven't seen it since i saw it at the theater. I might just have to watch it again when ever its on an hbo,cinemax,the movie channel.Maybe i can find them for sale used at half price books for a decent price.I might just buy all the batman movies and watch them,since if i can get thru them now,perhaps my perspective of them has chamged.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Lee Kirkham wrote:Hi all,

I wouldn't have thought it in the long run, but the '89 Batman is becoming a footnote in that decade's nostalgia rather than a stand out mark. And after viewing it again recently, it does appear, surprisingly, dated.

Though it and 'Returns" run circles around the Bale snore-fest.
Well, that "snore-fest" is one of the reasons the Burton/Schumacher films have been buried. The Nolan films presented a Batman closer to its source of the day than Burton's sideshow/misfit tributes, which were poor films from the start.

Unlike the new Superman film--which has not moved an inch toward replacing or simply being a superior adaptation over the 1978 Donner film, the Nolan Batman films struck a chord in a way that rendered the Burton films as weird, childish and just plain wrong.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Spikor1982

Post by Spikor1982 »

Surprised how many dislike 1989, i'm a complete uber 1989 fanboy, for me, it's pretty equal with West as I discovered 1966 on the family channel back then, but 89 might edge it out, then again I was 7 in 1989 so that might explain my absolute love for the film.
“It is the duty of every good citizen of Gotham City to report meeting a man from Mars in a public park."
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

All I can say here is, I remember how excited I was when that movie (89) came out, I really liked it. As others have mentioned, it had its issues, but I thought it was a good movie overall. Come on guys, after our beloved 66, that WAS the next best Batmobile! I hated the 3 sequels, just hated them, but the 1st was pretty good.
BatBrain

Post by BatBrain »

I always liked Keaton's Batman films. Although they do have some drawbacks that have been mentioned in this thread, I found them solid and enjoyable. I even like Batman Forever. But that is when the series took a turn towards the nightmare that is Batman & Robin. I will say though, to be fair, that I have to go back and watch the Burton films, as I haven't watched them in quite a few years.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote:
Well, that "snore-fest" is one of the reasons the Burton/Schumacher films have been buried. The Nolan films presented a Batman closer to its source of the day than Burton's sideshow/misfit tributes, which were poor films from the start.

Unlike the new Superman film--which has not moved an inch toward replacing or simply being a superior adaptation over the 1978 Donner film, the Nolan Batman films struck a chord in a way that rendered the Burton films as weird, childish and just plain wrong.
To me, the Nolan Batman had an heroic and mythic quality which hasn't been seen since the first season of the TV series. Batman was held somewhat in awe. In the Burton films we never got even on inkling of what Batman meant to the citizens of Gotham city. Keaton's Batman was 100% in his own head. His psychological problems forced him to pursue criminals. The consequences and the populace be damned! Flying around in his jet, crashing and destroying half of Gotham in an attempt to catch one fat middle-aged villain. Bale's Batman to a large degree mirrored the selflessness of West's. The final moments of Bale flying a bomb out of Gotham was eerily similar to West "getting rid of a bomb" in the '66 movie. Yeah, seeing the Burton films today they're about as dated as the movie serials, but without the heart.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

The lowering urban hell of the sets for the Burton movies completely swallows up the characters, good and bad alike. Ironically the squeaky-clean little everytown in 'Edward Scissorhands' strongly recalled the TV series' Gotham City, whose Eisenhower-like blandness provided an aptly blank canvas for each weeks' flamboyant villains to burst in upon...
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

[quote="Yellow Oval]

I also think Burton had the better Batcave that was closer to the lore than the bland, empty, cheap-looking places Nolan established under the Manor and down at the harbor. Not inspiring in the least! And, as always, if anyone was to tell me Nolan's versions were "more realistic" that way I would once again have to remind that Batman is not real! He never was, is, or will be! To try to make him (or any comic character for that matter) more realistic is to destroy what they are in the first place.[/quote]

Bravo. I'm surprised more people don't argue this. What's the point in making a grounded comic book movie about a man dressed in a bat costume? It always drives me nuts when reading from a filmmaker they he/she wants to keep his/her comic book movie grounded in reality. It's not a historical set piece--consider the source materiel. That's why '66 Batman is still the greatest representation of the character. Even when played for laughs...the costumes, the Batcave set, the Batmobile and, especially, the villians, will likely never be topped. The casting for the TV series was beyond inspired and those character representations, though played largely tongue in cheek, will always be instantly recognizable...without being anywhere near grounded in reality.
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

Viewed 'realistically', when the likes of Catwoman and the Riddler turn up at the scene of their next caper it raises the question of why they aren't noticed making their way across Gotham City in their costumes before they get there...
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

Sorry if I stepped on some toes with my "snore-fest" comment, that's simply my opinion and not a jab at anyone here or any particular generation.

I wanted to add that even though the Nolan films make no connection with the audience, they are still superior to the embarrassment of the Schumacher "films" of the mid-90's. I feel that they tried to infuse the humor of the 60's series into their films...but did so by sampling only season 3 episodes.

I can remember walking out of "Batman & Robin" thinking to myself, "They're never going to make another Batman movie after this garbage." It was certainly a dire time for the Caped Crusader.
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.