Bat cave Atomic Pile

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
tmmello

Re: Bat cave Atomic Pile

Post by tmmello »

I just love this project, great work. :-)
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

The signs are terrific.
STP Swallowthispill

Post by STP Swallowthispill »

burkestudio wrote:Charles,

The signage really makes it come to life!

-Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy not bad for Microsoft Paint!
I think I nailed the signs.

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

tmmello wrote:I just love this project, great work. :-)
I appreciate the nice comments. :D

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

Quillpen Quirch wrote:The signs are terrific.

Thanks! :D

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

Just a small update to let everyone know I have not given up on the project.
The bottom half is proving to be more difficult to figure out that I first thought I have not got any pictures to post as I am still trying to figure out the best way to construct that section.

Charles
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

STP Swallowthispill wrote:Just a small update to let everyone know I have not given up on the project.
The bottom half is proving to be more difficult to figure out that I first thought I have not got any pictures to post as I am still trying to figure out the best way to construct that section.

Charles
We're rooting for you Charles!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

You will get it my friend, and I am sure it will look as spectacular as the rest of it is! Patience patience patience!
STP Swallowthispill

Ben Bentley wrote:
STP Swallowthispill wrote:Just a small update to let everyone know I have not given up on the project.

Charles
We're rooting for you Charles!
Thanks man I have been thinking of how to go about this for weeks now and am trying different methods I will post more when I have more to post. :D

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

Batman65 wrote:You will get it my friend, and I am sure it will look as spectacular as the rest of it is! Patience patience patience!
I am starting to feel like a doctor! my name is Swallow this pill and I have to have patients! :lol:

Thanks man for the nice comments.

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

Well who's ready for an update! :D

The thing that had me stumped was making correct size octagons! Every time I thought I had it they were not straight or the wrong size so I did a little research and I found this on the internet. It is different size octagons used for quilting but made out of styrene. I took a chance on them a $25.00 chance and they proved to be the perfect size!

Here is the Octagons taken apart.

These two are the ones I need for the bottom and middle of the "Reactor section" of the AP.

Here we have the upright beams and the two octagons the notches cut out of the octagons as well as the match stem guides helps everything stay together nicely as you will see in a minute.

Here is the "Reactor section assembled.

And from a different angle.

Here is a couple of close up shots.

Now that I finally have this thing going in the right direction I now have to make all the other components that will make it look as close to the original as I can stay tuned for more next time.

Charles
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Cleverly done and looking great.
Aussie Batfan

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Always inspiring to see how it's progressing. Thanks for sharing.
Terry
STP Swallowthispill

Guys:

Just a small update I have been tweaking the lower half of the AP and I finally have it looking correct!
Before it was not lining up right with the upper half of the AP and after looking at the pictures of the real AP the match stem guides had to go! I found out after tweaking I only needed them at the bottom to hold the bottom octagon in place. I plan on getting a lot done while I am out on vacation from work next week I will post pictures then.

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

Well it's time for another update I am almost ready to start assembly here are some pictures of my progress.

I have added the other sides to the upright posts they look like "H" beams now.

Here are the upright posts and the octagons assembled for a test fit. As you can see I have made another octagon for the bottom this was needed to make everything line up correctly.
I still plan on using the small plastic octagon you will see why in a later update.

Here is how it looks in place with the main part of the AP.

Seems like just as I get on a role I run out of glue!
Still a lot more stuff to make and a lot of figuring out to do it's challenging working from only photos of the real AP!
That's all for now but I am off from work next week and I hope to get more done!
As always any comments good or bad are always welcomed!
Thanks to everyone who is following this thread I really appreciate it! :D

Charles