The Latest Batman Item You've Acquired?

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
AndyFish

Re: The Latest Batman Item You've Acquired?

Post by AndyFish »

I think Robin came with the crotch grabber stand- not sure why Batman didn't.
Love Cesar's moustache on that Pop figure!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Golddragon71 wrote:I still have my first edition. An absolutely invaluable resource to any Batfan!
Pound for pound, that DC Direct Silver Age Batman & Robin box set were the best figures ever based on the characters. They are such a perfect blend of the period source, and action figure sculpting. I have that--and most of the other Silver Age box sets, and many years after their release, they still hold up.

They feel like "Batman and Robin" more than Mattel's TV-based figures.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Considering that the Silver Age figures are 3D direct copies of the 60's comic art, I have to agree with You Hornet. What We are seeing with Mattel's figures ( and frankly, MOST of the 66 characters) are, for all intents and purposes, copies of copies. Now I realize that statement will upset a lot of people on this board and I'm NOT trying to rock anyone's boat, but I have seen this sort of thing in other fandoms like model railroading ( model railwaying for Our British and Continental cousins) where some one comes up with a fabulous layout design and construction and then others copy that for their own, changing the name and locations, but only ending up with a model of a model. IMHO, this is what has happened with a number of models, toys etc. in our field of interest. What do You all think?

Cheers,
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Creating anything in 3D from a 2D source is a difficult task-- the TV Batman and Robin should be a lot easier to do since theoretically you would have access to 360 views. McFarland Toys usually gets it right on target but they utilize scanning software to capture likeness something that isn't possible from a 50 year old TV show or with the budget of a mass produced toy.

A lot of the Animated Series figures were pretty good too, and the ones coming out now look pretty remarkable, but again with animation you have better access to 360 views.

But as to the original point I'm with Hornet too-- the Batman and Robin figures based on the work of Carmine Infantino were spot on and mark a high point in DC's output. I thought they did an equally good job with their Jack Kirby New Gods figures but then I'm a big fan of Mister Miracle.
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

They've always been my favorite versions of the Dynamic Duo as they were then. NECA has done a pretty impressive Adam West Batman in 7" Scale (and they're warming the shelf like crazy at my local Toys R Us.) I was hoping that we'd get a Robin figure to match (They've already made a Burt Ward Robin in the 18" scale so it seems he'd be relatively easy to be reproduced on a smaller sized scale as opposed to trying to get likeness rights to a totally new figure like Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman or John Wesley Shipp's Flash from the 1990 series (I've been pushing for the latter to be honest)
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
VintageMike

Post by VintageMike »

Continuing a the auto collection I finally purchased one the Malachi Throne False Face autos from Time Machine. Guess they have plenty so not tough to get, but still not infinite supply since he's passed. Also added a solo Donna Loren as it frees up display space.
falseface.jpg
susie2.jpg

Whole current collection is here

https://www.pinterest.com/michael7613/b ... utographs/
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Greetings to all,
I just picked up my copy of "Batman: The War Years 1939-1945", which, besides the 50s, is my favorite time period. I count the 66 series in with the 50s since the series looks to me to be based on the 50s. I have an FTC "1st Appearance" Batman , complete with the blue utility belt. That's due in a few days.

Cheers
Larry
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

AndyFish wrote:All right so WAAAY back when the Hot Toys Batman '66 figure came out a bunch of you were urging me to join you in the madness of buying a Tony Mei suit to replace the one Hot Toys had provided, I rolled my eyes at how crazy you guys are for going to that kind of trouble on a figure that I thought already looked great.

Okay, so time goes by and I look at the Hot Toys figure everyday and I'm going to be honest, it always underwhelmed me. I thought the 18" Neca was so much better even with the strange stomach joint.

SO I went ahead and got a Tony Mei suit (and cape), changed it and I cannot believe how much better it looks. It looks AMAZING. The shoulder seams are right, the logo is right and now the color is right. It knocks it out of the park! Excuse the bad photo taken early with my phone but man what a difference!

IMG_0873.jpg

I apologize to all of you to whom I was rolling my eyes-- you were right!
Thanks for this post Andy! I too was on the fence about the Tony Mei suit... and your post just pushed me off that fence ;)

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Picked these up at Chicago Comic Con-- heavy restoration on both but I'm happy to have them. The #35 is one I looked for for a VERY long time. Love the long ears.
Attachments
IMG_0922 (1).jpg
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Congrads, Andy!
The cover of # 35 and a few others is what I am basing my 1940's cowl on! Since it was restored, hopefully it didn't go for a mint condition one.

Cheers,
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Even restored the 35 goes for silly money. But they aren't getting any cheaper.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Amen to that!!!!!! Thank Everyone from Everywhere for reprints and collections!!!!!!!!!
Larry
TysonL

Post by TysonL »

So I'm on vacation in Texas and came across the store Hastings and they are going out of business and everything is 50% off or more. So I went crazy !
Attachments
20160912_230319_resized.jpg
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

WOW!!!!! And I was happy to get my "1st appearances: Batman today.......LOL

Cheers,
Larry
jjkandlak

Post by jjkandlak »

Finally got the last couple of cards to complete my 1966 Batman "Red Bat" trading card set.