DC Announces Batman 66/Wonder Woman 77 Comic

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
NJ_Batfan

DC Announces Batman 66/Wonder Woman 77 Comic

Post by NJ_Batfan »

batman66-wonderwoman-1.jpg
batman66-wonderwoman-1.jpg (54.6 KiB) Viewed 8502 times
Inevitable, I'll admit, but still an interesting interpolation of the license. For those like myself who were more endeared to Wonder Woman's first season episodes set in the 40s, it appears that will also be addressed as the story weaves through three decades.

http://www.newsarama.com/31428-batman-6 ... -2017.html
TBolt

Re: DC Announces Batman 66/Wonder Woman 77 Comic

Post by TBolt »

Is Batman checking her out?
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Beautiful job done on Lynda Carter.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

TBolt wrote:Is Batman checking her out?
She is attractive, Robin. You'll understand more about that when you're older. :lol:
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Well, I'm definitely interested in reading it but, I don't see why they needed to incorporate time travel. After all, Adam West and Burt Ward were still playing Batman and Robin on TV (Legends of the Superheroes) while the Wonder Woman series was on.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Maybe they just don't want to draw the "Gila Cowl." ;)

Anyway, it wouldn't have to be "time travel." As a more-or-less immortal, it was already established that Diana didn't change a bit from the 40s to the 70s, so all this story will require is coming up with a way to get her off Paradise Island in the 60s.

Still hoping for that scene where Steve Trevor puts on a spare bat-suit. ;)
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

One article I read mentioned young Bruce Wayne fighting Nazis, that would work out if Batman was in his 30s in '66
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Boy Wonder

Post by Boy Wonder »

The Boss wrote:Well, I'm definitely interested in reading it but, I don't see why they needed to incorporate time travel. After all, Adam West and Burt Ward were still playing Batman and Robin on TV (Legends of the Superheroes) while the Wonder Woman series was on.
Wouldn't it be funny if they drew him in that cowl for the 1970's section of the story?
:lol:
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Boy Wonder wrote:
The Boss wrote:Well, I'm definitely interested in reading it but, I don't see why they needed to incorporate time travel. After all, Adam West and Burt Ward were still playing Batman and Robin on TV (Legends of the Superheroes) while the Wonder Woman series was on.
Wouldn't it be funny if they drew him in that cowl for the 1970's section of the story?
:lol:
Why not? After all, Wonder Woman's costume changed during the series. Remember the bullet bra from season 1? As if Linda Carter really needed that.
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

They should make a Lynda Carter Wonder Woman animated movie.
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

I'll be getting that series for sure. It looks much better than their previous Batman 66. I bailed on that one after a few issues and never finished the series. To me, they were trying too hard to make it match the show and it ended up looking like a parody.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

TP-6597 wrote:To me, they were trying too hard to make it match the show and it ended up looking like a parody.
I think the comic series achieved exactly what it set out to do. Some issues were better than others, sure, but did you try it digitally on the interactive app on your phone? Wow! Comics come alive!
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

In a lot of ways it did do what it set out to do. I love the idea of the show as a comic book. No doubt, it's tailor made to be transferred back to that medium. I had no problem what so ever with the stories. They were perfect for the 1960s vibe of the series. My only dislike is some of the artists/artwork. Some were fantastic. Others, however, took me right out of the story. I read a lot of Batman comic books (mostly Modern and Bronze) so I've seen many artists. All have a distinct style and I'm usually settled in to it by the end of an issue or two.

What I found distracting about the 66 series was their use of so many artists. Some were sparce and cartoonish, almost to the point of the issues looking more like individual pop art pieces, as opposed to a cohesive story in an animated world.

To me, the best by far for such an undertaking is Joelle Jones. She was perfect for transferring our TV heroes to the printed page. She is the quintessential artist for capturing the vibe of the show and transporting us into it. She's fantastic at filling the page with color and depth. To me, the first few issues lacked visual depth. I jumped ship before they brought her in.

If she had been the only artist for the series, I'd have them all and would occasionally reread them. Below an example of her work. Excellent visual depth. I may go back and cherry-pick a few issues based on artist. She'll be a very high bar though.

Image.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

A little more information on the series. A guy screen named Major Hoy posted this on a DC board I frequent, so all thanks to him if he comes by here.
batman66wonderwoman1cover.jpg
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/10/07 ... %99-in-new

My favorite issue of the Batman 66 comic was issue 29. I really enjoyed the portrayal of Batman and Catwoman's relationship in it.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_%2766_Vol_1_29
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I like the Batman 66 book in general, but I haven't been impressed with the Wonder Woman '77 book. Hopefully it'll work out.

It'd be awesome if they worked in a cameo by the George Reeves Superman.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."