"The Impractical Joker" -- Jay Thompson's first draft?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

"The Impractical Joker" -- Jay Thompson's first draft?

Post by bat-rss »

I'm looking for information about Charles Hoffman's rewrite of Jay Thompson's script that became "The Impractical Joker"/"The Joker's Provokers". Specifically I'm hoping to find more about what Thompson originally wrote (possibly originally titled "Hickory Dickory Dock"). There is a bit of info about it floating around, but haven't been able to find anything really meaty on it.

This nearly-illegible ghost site (the e-mail address on this site no longer works) contains most of the scraps of info I've found on this: http://www.angelfire.com/va/1966Batman/episodes3.html

Anyone here on the all-seeing, all-knowing 66 Batman message board know anything about this?
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Dr. Shimel

Re: "The Impractical Joker" -- Jay Thompson's first draft?

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Speaking of Joker episodes, that webpage makes a seemingly dubious claim, though it does note that it was only a rumor: "Frank Sinatra was upset because Cesar Romero beat him out for the role of the Joker."
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

bat-rss wrote:I'm looking for information about Charles Hoffman's rewrite of Jay Thompson's script that became "The Impractical Joker"/"The Joker's Provokers". Specifically I'm hoping to find more about what Thompson originally wrote (possibly originally titled "Hickory Dickory Dock"). There is a bit of info about it floating around, but haven't been able to find anything really meaty on it.

This nearly-illegible ghost site (the e-mail address on this site no longer works) contains most of the scraps of info I've found on this: http://www.angelfire.com/va/1966Batman/episodes3.html

Anyone here on the all-seeing, all-knowing 66 Batman message board know anything about this?
Tim - Below is a link to a thread from around three years ago where a member at the time was offering various unproduced/first draft versions of scripts for sale, including "Hickory Dickory Dock".
(viewtopic.php?t=1872)

I didn't personally end up with any of the scripts offered in the thread above, but off the top of my head i'm inclined to think that perhaps Ivan (twint9) may have purchased copies from the member offering them back in 2013. Maybe he can shed some further light? Its definitely something i'd be eager to learn more about.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Sounds good. Thanks, Ben!
Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero »

If I may ask, is there a particular reason that you are searching out that particular version of the script?
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Basically just curiosity. The script as filmed was kind of a confusing mess (as we discuss in our upcoming Sept 1 episode). Rumor has it that Thompson's original was really inventive, but Hoffman (and maybe others) thought it strayed too far from what was normal for the series. We'd really like to know more about what was in it.
twint9

Post by twint9 »

Hi Ben. I wish I could help, but I don't have that outline.
High C

Post by High C »

If you'd be willing to spend any money, and I understand if you can't, Dozier's papers are available in pdf form from the University of Wyoming.

http://www.uwyo.edu/ahc/

I paid $137.25 in 2012 for outlines and drafts of the two episodes in which Joan Collins appeared.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

I just happened across that via another source earlier today. Didn't notice the pricing information, though. I sent an inquiry and I'm waiting to hear back. Will see what kind of price they quote me. Thanks.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Pardon me for the slight switch in scripts but has anyone seen a copy of Peggy Shaw's Fashions in Crime, by Peggy Shaw?

Too bad there isn't a website with pdf's of these unused scripts, filmed scripts, treatments, etc.

cheers
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Our podcast on this arc is now up at http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/041-whe ... ker-script

Still waiting to hear back about getting a copy of the original draft from Dozier's papers at the U of Wyoming!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

In case you didn't hear the latest TO THE BATPOLES... I have the original draft script now! I was OKed to make it available to listeners, and we're asking for comments from listeners on the script, which we'll include in a future episode when we talk about the script.
http://deconstructingcomics.com/Batpole ... erydoc.pdf
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

bat-rss wrote:In case you didn't hear the latest TO THE BATPOLES... I have the original draft script now! I was OKed to make it available to listeners, and we're asking for comments from listeners on the script, which we'll include in a future episode when we talk about the script.
http://deconstructingcomics.com/Batpole ... erydoc.pdf
Thanks ever so much for doing the leg work and subsequently sharing this, Tim. I'd certainly love to chat to Oscar at some point, I have a decent chunk of the Dozier Archives but by no means all of it.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

If you want me to put you in touch with him, write me at batpoles@deconstructingcomics.com
Mr Chronos

Post by Mr Chronos »

No moll at all??? Sounds like a 2nd Clock King episode.