How did the Bat-Poles/Automatic Bat-Costume Changer work???

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Aussie Batfan

Re: How did the Bat-Poles/Automatic Bat-Costume Changer work

Post by Aussie Batfan »

On a more serious note(LOL!) on the previous thread regarding the workings of the Batpoles on the old Board, someone posted some fanatstic screen captures of the batpole shaft looking downwards to 'the Batcave' below.
Can't remember if the shots were from the TV series or the movie, but the perspective was terrific...
Can anyone repost them please??
Thanks
Terry
That_weirdo_Cage

Post by That_weirdo_Cage »

Something something something... MOLECULES! :lol:

Umm. Yes, it seems like any kind of science-fiction-y device to change their outfits would have been out of place in the fictional world we're shown. So this is actually an interesting mystery which isn't discussed often. Hmm. An intermediate level where clothes are changed does seem most likely, as suggested above.
svl

Post by svl »

I don't think it was a "changing station". Remember, in several episodes Bruce uses the "Negate Bruce's Change" switch. Why have the switch if he just stops to put on the costume halfway down the pole. Unless of course you want to argue that all the switch does is keep the lift moving and not stop at the changing area.

Plus, in an episode or two Alfred uses his Batcave entrance and meets them in the cave just minutes after they descent down the poles. Quick change artists or not, nobody is that fast, not even the Caped Crusaders.

It's simple, people, just something too many of us seem to lose grasp of as we get older-

MAGIC OF THE IMAGINATION........
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

svl wrote:I don't think it was a "changing station". Remember, in several episodes Bruce uses the "Negate Bruce's Change" switch. Why have the switch if he just stops to put on the costume halfway down the pole. Unless of course you want to argue that all the switch does is keep the lift moving and not stop at the changing area.

Plus, in an episode or two Alfred uses his Batcave entrance and meets them in the cave just minutes after they descent down the poles. Quick change artists or not, nobody is that fast, not even the Caped Crusaders.

It's simple, people, just something too many of us seem to lose grasp of as we get older-

MAGIC OF THE IMAGINATION........
I'm not so sure about that....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1k644cjRt4[/youtube]
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
The Boss

Re: How did the Bat-Poles/Automatic Bat-Costume Changer work???

Post by The Boss »

As a child I always assumed that the costumes were hanging on the poles and they just "fell" into them as they slid down the poles. lol It was enough to satisfy my childish innocence.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I was thinking along the lines of "The Boss". As a kid I just assumed they fell into them, or that the switch did something magical to them as they slid down. It's amazing how your mind works when you are a kid. I love some of these responses. Good reading for sure :)
STP Swallowthispill

Post by STP Swallowthispill »

When I was a kid I was thinking the same they slid into their costumes. But even then the practical side of me could never make it work right in my mind! :(
The adult me has this theory they filmed the part from the study new with each episode however as someone pointed out the poles only led to a 8 to 10 foot pit.
When the coming down the poles the rest of the way was filmed they got on the poles from an upper catwalk and slid down. This same footage was used numerous times and may only have been changed occasionally.
That's my theory anyway would be nice if Adam or Burt could tell us what really happened!

Charles
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

I didn't give it any thought fifty years ago* and I still don't. Batman & Robin were bigger than life. They still are. Truth be told (and I was just thinking of this a week ago), seeing them slide down into the picture and run to the Batmobile is every bit as moving and exciting as it was when I was a child. That very moment is my favorite part of every episode. Hard to put into words.

*Man, that's sobering.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Holy show & tell! :)
Attachments
Batman show & tell.jpg
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

TP-6597 wrote: That very moment is my favorite part of every episode. Hard to put into words.
I totally feel you on that one man. Even the dull clunk/thud of the Batmobile doors closing has a weird sentimentality to it for me.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I was a weird kid I suppose. I just accepted everything for face value and never really thought about how things worked. I remember thumbing though an old 1966 Batman comic book that had letters to the editor in the back, called Bat Currents or some such title, and a person had written asking how Batman could pull out all of this stuff from his utility belt. He was very demeaning about it. The editor's reply was classic: "I don't know. Ask Maxwell Smart. He has a phone in his shoe."
Oh, for me, it's the turbines whining that just get my heart pumping.
Music. BAT! Music.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Batfanman wrote:Holy show & tell! :)
Now that's funny!
TheBlueHombre

Post by TheBlueHombre »

I figured that they changed clothes during the commercial break and the opening theme song; that simple.
Same Bat-Time
Same Bat-Channel
Same Perilous Predicament
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Aussie Batfan wrote:On a more serious note(LOL!) on the previous thread regarding the workings of the Batpoles on the old Board, someone posted some fanatstic screen captures of the batpole shaft looking downwards to 'the Batcave' below.
Can't remember if the shots were from the TV series or the movie, but the perspective was terrific...
Can anyone repost them please??
Thanks
Terry
Do you mean this?
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I always thought that the Joker must have seen the Batcave because he sure looks like he reached the bottom.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66