Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DVDs

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

Re: Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DVDs

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Golddragon71 wrote:GCB sent the bill to the Gotham Police Fepartment but the police paid the bill out of a trust fund provided by Bruce Wayne under an anti-crime grant he set up. (That's my take anyway)
They must have been jolted by that one phone bill after the call to the palace in Nimpah to check on the Maharajah. :lol:
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

I made my own 'bootleg' set so to speak, around 2003 when the show was airing on TV Land. It took about two months but I videotaped every episode.

The DVD revealed some clips edited out for time compression, some of which I knew about since I recognized missing lines. But others I was shocked by. For instance, Joker's song when he's about to 'drown' the Caped Crusaders was completely edited out. Also the scene with False Face in his hideout with his henchmen and moll was completed skipped. I didn't even know he had red hair before the DVD!

I may have just not been paying attention on TV Land but I also hadn't previously noticed the female cops in the Nora Clavicle episode appear to be holding rolling pins. ;)

Perhaps the best addition to the DVD is the subtitles. I could never make out the words to Penguin's song when he was running for mayor, and the subtitles fixed that for me.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Here's one. In the original pilot there is no wood trim around the sliding bookcase that hides the bat poles. The wall paper came right to the edge. After that there was always wood trim.

In the episode Zelda The Great when the book case is sliding away there is a brief close-up of the sliding panel and the woodwork is gone. They must have reused the clip from the pilot.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

clavierankh wrote:Here's one. In the original pilot there is no wood trim around the sliding bookcase that hides the bat poles. The wall paper came right to the edge. After that there was always wood trim.

In the episode Zelda The Great when the book case is sliding away there is a brief close-up of the sliding panel and the woodwork is gone. They must have reused the clip from the pilot.
Well spotted. What you're describing is actually one of the most notable differences between the pilot study set over at Fox and the version that we became accustomed to once the show went to series and the sets were reconstructed over on the stages at Culver (Desilu) Studios.
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

I mentioned this in one of the To the Bat poles threads. When i watched the Puzzler Arc I recognized the harpsichord chiming music that was previously in the bookworm arc (and was subsequently informed that it applies to a few other villains as well) Having been watching the series episode a day for the last three months I only heard it in the two arcs and drew a connection.
In addition to Batman I'm also a fervent Planet of the Apes fan and i realized that two leading actors from the original Film share the same theme a good year before Planet of the Apes was released.
A total coincidence of course but it drew my attention the minute I saw/heard it.
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

Was just thinking about this today. In the first Penguin arc Fine Finny Finks, The Crime-fighters are watching Penguin's cell footage and Robin notes that Penguin's in his usual top hat and tails. He can't believe Penguins allowed to stay out of standard prison uniform until the warden tells him it's part of the prison's policy to allow prisoners to wear their street clothes prior to release. A year or so later in the ma Parker episode Ma's giving her speech to the prison inmates and Catwoman is clearly seen wearing her regular costume. Was she on her way to parole or does she get an exemption?
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Given how frequently Catwoman appears in season two, she seemed to check in and out of the penitentiary like it was a hotel! She was probably in costume on her way out the door!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Golddragon71 wrote:Was just thinking about this today. In the first Penguin arc Fine Finny Finks, The Crime-fighters are watching Penguin's cell footage and Robin notes that Penguin's in his usual top hat and tails. He can't believe Penguins allowed to stay out of standard prison uniform until the warden tells him it's part of the prison's policy to allow prisoners to wear their street clothes prior to release. A year or so later in the ma Parker episode Ma's giving her speech to the prison inmates and Catwoman is clearly seen wearing her regular costume. Was she on her way to parole or does she get an exemption?
That seems like it was part of the brief gag--one, that she was in a men's prison, and that she's allowed to wear her criminal outfit. If memory serves, the Penguin was wearing his purple hat while in prison, too.
Beneath Wayne Manor
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

If you had Julie Newmar in custody would you allow her to wear anything ELSE?
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Nope.
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

Not only that, but Penguin was mysteriously in his street clothes when the Joker's henchmen broke him out of jail in "The Penguin Declines" and Joker was wearing prison clothes when he got paroled in The Funny Feline Felonies" and Catwoman mysteriously had his traditional suit with her.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

cammy85 wrote:Not only that, but Penguin was mysteriously in his street clothes when the Joker's henchmen broke him out of jail in "The Penguin Declines"
Didn't he brag about his "sartorial triumph" when the Joker jabbed him about giving him the number of his tailor? :lol:
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

Yup!! :D
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

cammy85 wrote: Joker was wearing prison clothes when he got paroled in The Funny Feline Felonies" and Catwoman mysteriously had his traditional suit with her.
I thought he was wearing "civilian clothes", a suit and tie.

Just a theory but, perhaps Catwoman was nearby and snagged the Joker's traditional suit while it was on the clothesline drying after the surf off in Surf's Up, Joker's Under.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I (and apparently a lot of people) hadn't noticed that Burgess Meredith did not appear in episode 70 "The Joker's Hard Time" which was the middle episode of a three parter featuring Joker and the Penguin. Taking him out of this episode I went back and recounted (via Joel Eisner's Official Batbook) the episodes to find that contrary to popular belief, Burgess Meredith was NOT in more episodes than Cesar Romaro. They were both in 19 episodes, one movie and (if you count it) Joker and penguin each apeared (albiet via stand ins) in episode 119, "The Entrancing Dr. Cassandra".

This fact also makes The Joker (appropriately) Batman's number one Nemesis of the series. Joker and Penguin may have been in the same number of episodes but, The Joker was in one more adventure/crime (regaurdless of how many episodes) than the Penguin, 10/9 (or 12/11 counting movie and Dr. Cassandra episode).