The BATMAN 1966 Renaissance

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
AndyFish

The BATMAN 1966 Renaissance

Post by AndyFish »

Boy what an amazing last few years we've had isn't it?
For so many years we couldn't possibly imagine actual Licensed '66 Batman merchandise-- incorrectly citing DC Comics lack of respect for the Adam West Batman and rights issues so complex it took nearly 45 years to straighten out.

If memory serves me correct, the very first actual item was the Hotwheels 1/64 Batmobile-- I remember the first ones hitting eBay and selling for upwards of $150 because some diehard fans couldn't wait for them to hit stores.

But going way back-- the first sign of the ice thawing was the Danbury Mint Postcard that arrived in the mail a few years earlier. I remember it being circa 2004 but I could be off by a few years either way.

The postcard was impressive....
danbury_batmobile-2-1.jpg
danbury_batmobile-2-1.jpg (32.94 KiB) Viewed 8729 times
batmobile_danbury.jpg
I remember the conversation here on the board and over on Eric's site when these were first coming out and a lot of us were skeptical.

It was not to be and it proved to most of us that this thaw was likely to never come, but at least it meant that forces were in motion and we've since learned that many of those forces are members of this board right here.

The Hotwheels Batmobile was next and then re-done with different packaging and at different scales but the big break came (?) when it was announced they'd be making Toys based on the show. Most of us with contacts had heard that not only Toys, but the rights to the series had been cleared up too. That years San Diego Comic Con even had a '66 Batman bag but the show came and went with no announcement that the series was coming to DVD.

The following January superfan Conan O'Brien of all people broke the news on Twitter and the flood gates opened with the show hitting shelves and mailboxes that November.

It's been a long road and while things are trickling down there has been a lot of great merchandise released. The Hot Toys figures, the Mattel and Figures Toy Company lines, bottle openers, comic books, costumes, clothes, plush figures, Lego sets, The Animated Feature, pretty much everything we could hope for.

So this takes me to TWO questions for you boardies.
1. What of all the merchandise released BESIDES the Blu Ray and DVD has been your favorite item and why?
2. What would you still like to see made? If it's more than one thing that's OK with me, let's hear your ideas.

For me it's hard to pick but it's close between the Mattel Batman Cowl (I would have knocked down old ladies for this when I was a kid), which has it's faults but a little customizing and it's a nice item, but I think my favorite remains the Wonderland Talking Figures.
Wonderland_Toys_Batman_1966_set.jpeg
There's something both retro and modern about these, and they remind me of the stuffed dolls that were done during the shows run that I saw used in the 70s. Their size (18") also gives me a flashback to holding my Batman Captain Action doll when I was a kid- I remember thinking that was huge.

As for what I'd still like to see? I'd like a nicely made plastic or foam replica of the folding Batarang complete with a little display stand. I know you can get nice ones from some fine people out there, but I'd like one that is a little less fragile than the urethane ones.

A snow globe of the Atomic Pile with Tiny figures and the Batmobile-- shake it and Bats fly all around, it plays the main theme too.

A REALLY definitive hardcover book complete with behind the scenes photos, blueprints, script excerpts and a bunch of other stuff to make batfans drool. The recent book release is great, I'm just greedy and want MORE.

A Captain Action '66 Batman figure. Don't need it, have too many figures now, but I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

A Batman '66 line from Funko's Reaction line (I think the line may have been dropped by Funko and is back with Super 7 but I'm not sure). I really love the Universal Monsters they did. When I was a kid in the 70s my Star Wars and Remco Monsters were my favorites and I'd love to see them tackle Batman.

That's off the top of my head- how about the rest of you?
PDpuck16

Re: The BATMAN 1966 Renaissance

Post by PDpuck16 »

A 3 3/4 Super 7 line is one I’m hoping to see, It still pains me to think what might have been with the Mattel line. I started collecting the FTC figures because of the variety and am glad I did. I’m not the biggest fan of the style but it has filled in a ton of checklist boxes. I have 2 favorites. The Hot Toys figures (counting them as 1) and the Lego Batcave came out of nowhere to capture top billing.
redbird

Post by redbird »

Would love to see a 1/18th scale batcopter from the tv series, and finally a 1/6 scale 66 batmobile to hold the hot toys figures.
johndeblasi

Post by johndeblasi »

Wishing for but very surprised that considering everything that has come out that Topps did not issue a 200 card set Batman anniversary TV show card set with amazing scenes from the show.
Also disappointed that the Diamond Select Toys Batman Classic 1966 TV Series Shakespeare Bust Vinyl Bank has been pushed back to March! oh yeah, and also a functioning Batphone.
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

My Tweeterhead statues and Diamond Select busts are my favorite pieces. I also love my Mattel, Figures Toy Company, Hot Toys, Neca and Wonderland Toy Company figures. The Lego Batcave is amazing!!

What I'd still like to see happen?

Hot Toys Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman (Julie) plus the Batmobile

Figures Toy Company Catwoman (Julie/Eartha), Jockey Penguin, False Face, Clock King, Olga,
Siren, Louie The Lilac and The Batmobile and Batcave.

Mattel Batcave, King Tut, Egghead and Mr. Freeze.

Diamond Select busts of Shame and Bookworm, a fighting Robin statue to go with the fighting Batman statue, statues of Riddler and Penguin, a red Batphone bank (not the Batmobile Batphone) and banks of Riddler and Catwoman and Batgirl.

Tweeterhead statue of Penguin.

Neca Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I'm not too keen on merchandice. I would like tosee more Batman '66 on film. Both new animated adventures and I still hold out hope that my vision of 9 new live action episodes (utilizing the majority of footage not used in the series) of the TV series could somehow see the light of day while Adam, Burt and Julie are still with us to provide bridging dialog.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

AndyFish wrote: Boy what an amazing last few years we've had isn't it?
Yes, it was certain interesting in some cases, as I remember the days when '66 merchandise was limited to the View-Master, a couple of novels and card sets, Corgi's (and other companies') various scale vehicles, the the album and model kits.

So this takes me to TWO questions for you boardies.
1. What of all the merchandise released BESIDES the Blu Ray and DVD has been your favorite item and why?
Probably the Hot Toys figures, as they are far and away the most accurate figures based on the actors released so far.
2. What would you still like to see made? If it's more than one thing that's OK with me, let's hear your ideas.
Easy--the complete '66 TV soundtrack. As much a defining "character" as the actors and Batmobile. That would be a dream come true.
Beneath Wayne Manor
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

When I first received that above Danbury Mint flyer in the mail I quickly placed my order and that started my investigative research on the 1966 Batmobile. It wasn't long after that I became a member of Eric's Batmobile board.

When the '66 TV version was cancelled by Danbury Mint, they decided to make a "comic book" version. I was so disappointed that I shredded my "comic book" announcement/order form.

I then made this photoshop alteration (in 2002) of their announcement card.

Looking back, probably my favorite item is this 2007 early convention release George Barris signed, stickered, pinned and authenticated Hotwheels 1966 Batmobile. That started it all, but any '66 Batmobile release since then has also been a favorite!

KustomJeff

Post by KustomJeff »

A-Pennyworth, I believe we joined Eric's board around the same time (I was JDbats back then) and I agree with everything you said. My favorite toys have to be the Hot Toys versions because they work so well with my toy photography and what I want most is more figures in that line such as Julie's Catwoman.
I'm on Instagram as kustomjeff if you want to see more toy pics and some motorcycle stuff too. :-P
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I remember that whole Danbury Mint debacle. I'm still using that flyer as a bookmark in some Bat-book or other.

I also remember coming *this* close about a dozen times to plunking down some serious moolah to buy one of the many Batmobile garage kits on the web back when it looked like we'd never get an official version. The only thing that held me back was my miserable track record assembling even "legit" model kits, and the certainty that I would never, EVER be able to paint those dadburn pinstripes correctly. When the Hot Wheels 'mobiles came out, I probably found more excuses to stop by Target than at any point in my life. :lol: I lost track of how many I bought; then I got more from Billy Lloyed (RIP) via the mail. 1/64, 1/50, 1/38, 1/19, 1/24...you can't have too many scales.

Aside from the cars, what I've enjoyed most so far is probably the NECA Batman figure, which is on prominent display at home and always brings a smile.

I can't really say there is anything un-made that I'm still wishing for. There's some stuff from the 60s that will never be eclipsed for me in terms of sentimental value, like the Pix-A-Go-Go sets, the View-Master reels and the AHI tin Batmobile, but they were very much of their time and re-issues wouldn't work. I reserve the right to fall in love with something some creative person comes up with, but I can't imagine anything myself at this point.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Great thread Andy, this is a topic that Scott and I often come back to in conversations whenever we discuss new merch that has become available. If I had a dollar for every sentence i've started with "Can you imagine ten years ago if someone told you we would have a '66 TV *insert item here*?"
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I love my Hot Toys Adam West Batman. I really miss my old Mego bat cave play set from the 70s. You guys remember the one, clear vinyl covered cardboard like thing with rock graphics printed on the outside, a fold down exit from the bat cave with a pivoting bat logo to hold the gate in place, a bat pole, cardboard bat computer, and a working bat-signal that would shine a cool bat logo on the wall. Somewhere over the years, as with most old toys, it got ruined and discarded. Oh the memories!!
Attachments
IMG_0240.JPG
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Luckily FTC recreated that Batcave. I wish they would work with the guy who made the Dida 66 Batcave.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

I've been excited about the 66 Batman Renaissance. I'm so turned off by the current, dark Batman being written by DC Comics. There isn't much to identify with him, anymore.

There was some talk and pictures about Batman "cards" coming out. But somehow I missed getting them.

Hope there's more Batman 66 merchandise coming out. I want the comic book back, but with some more, different authors giving their take of the Adam West version of the Darkknight Detective.

I also want more DVD's with Adam West, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar. I want to see at least 13 episodes of an animated series with them. I want a Christmas episode, a few episodes featuring the Boy Wonder and giving him a few stories featuring him. I also want a few tales with the Yvonne Craig Batgirl.

More Batman 66 please.

---jthree
TysonL

Post by TysonL »

AndyFish wrote:
A Batman '66 line from Funko's Reaction line (I think the line may have been dropped by Funko and is back with Super 7 but I'm not sure). I really love the Universal Monsters they did. When I was a kid in the 70s my Star Wars and Remco Monsters were my favorites and I'd love to see them tackle Batman.

That's off the top of my head- how about the rest of you?
You might just get what you want there. Here is what Funko had to say today about upcoming items....
Attachments
Screenshot_20161217-012413.jpg