1966 Batman costume

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Nitestar

1966 Batman costume

Post by Nitestar »

I have been working on this project for a long time. Finally got everything together to make it. Things I will not be making include the Cowl and Belt, which are Matty's. I did make the Holster for the Batarang freehand, and the batarang from a kit. I will be making the jumper, cape, gloves, trunks and boots. I will be needing help mainly on the cape. I can't find any definitive information on it, particularly about the snaps on the back. I will be using several different patterns for different parts of the costume. Due to my size, one size does not fit all. So I found that it is easier to make from scratch. Hopefully I will have pics as I go along. I would like to get it done in time for the 2017 Superman Celebration in Metropolis, IL.
Batman65

Re: 1966 Batman costume

Post by Batman65 »

http://www.66batman.com/2015/07/05/capes-snaps-and-you/

Hers is the link to Scott's excellent cape snaps vid.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

The fine folks over at Williams Studios 2 offer patterns, and a tutorial on re sizing the caped.
I hope this helps, can't wait to see you costume.
Nitestar

Post by Nitestar »

Thanks for the video link! That helps tremendously! I'm actually doing mine from patterns I have used in the past. Due to my size, I know how to adjust it that way and get it to hang right. Too many broken bones. ;) lol

I'll keep you posted as I go! This is going to take a while, working in my spare time. :)
Nitestar

Post by Nitestar »

Okay, I have another question, guys. Does anyone have a good picture of the bottom of the cape? How long are the dags and how wide? Also, the chest symbol, is it 5 or 6 inches? Thanks for the assistance!
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Unlike the Keaton style capes that have a more mathematical layout, the 66 is made up of assorted sized points and scallops. The majority of scallops range between approximately 12" and 14 ".

The emblem is 5" wide and a file is available here on the site.

All the best,
Chuck...
Attachments
hardemancape3 - Copy.JPG
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Chuck, that's a great picture. Nothing special to say here, but I just like looking at it.
Nitestar

Post by Nitestar »

Thanks Chuck! Appreciate the picture! And you do magnificent work! I got a good look at your patterns one time. That inspired me. :) But I have to go my own route, as I said. I'm not in good shape anymore, and I know how to adjust the patterns I've used accordingly. And thank you for the note on the symbol too. I just hope I'm not driving you guys crazy with too many questions so far. I'll start putting up pics as I get stuff done, if you guys don't mind. Here's a few things I've done already.
Attachments
batman66.jpg
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Good luck with your project! Be sure to share your progress.
Nitestar

Post by Nitestar »

This is my 1966 Batman bomb. I made this entirely from scratch. It is basically one of those large Christmas ornaments, a pill bottle, and a straw with pipe-cleaner around it so that I can put water inside with a small sliver of dry ice to make it smoke. What do you think?
Attachments
batbomb.jpg
Nitestar

Post by Nitestar »

This is my '66 Batarang. I bought this at a convention probably around 30 years or so ago. This is supposedly made off from one of the original casts used in the series. I got it for a steal at that Con for about $20 because it was kind of chipped up. I also picked up a Green Hornet mask for $10 that was broken in half. Still have them both. ;)
Attachments
batarang.jpg
Nitestar

Post by Nitestar »

Here's some close ups of my Batarang holster that I made from scratch. It holds 2 batarangs so that I can let kids hold the smaller one in pictures with me. It's a velcro attachment, unlike the series one. I also added the clip in the back so I can detach it from the belt when I want to sit comfortably.

The larger batarang, I have a dealer that I can get them as kits. I put magnets inside so that when I'm carrying it, it stays open and doesn't flop around.

The smaller one came with the Matty Belt. I wasn't too impressed with it, but I thought it would be fun to let the kids hold it.

Also, on top of the holster, I made a patch saying "Bat A Rang" like in the series. Just thought it added a special touch.

What do you guys think?
Attachments
bars.jpg
bars2.jpg
bars3.jpg
barback.jpg
100_5868.jpg
dell

Post by dell »

Wow, you've been busy! The bomb is da bomb! Actually, all of your stuff looks great.
dell
Meule

Post by Meule »

The Batarang pouch looks really cool
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Nitestar wrote: The smaller one came with the Matty Belt. I wasn't too impressed with it, but I thought it would be fun to let the kids hold it.
That's an awesome idea! Kids at events/conventions will love that! It will mean a surprising amount to some young fans. Kudos for looking at it that way.