Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DVDs

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

cammy85

Re: Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DVDs

Post by cammy85 »

The Boss wrote:
cammy85 wrote: Joker was wearing prison clothes when he got paroled in The Funny Feline Felonies" and Catwoman mysteriously had his traditional suit with her.
I thought he was wearing "civilian clothes", a suit and tie.

Just a theory but, perhaps Catwoman was nearby and snagged the Joker's traditional suit while it was on the clothesline drying after the surf off in Surf's Up, Joker's Under.
Correct, thanks!!!
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

So we all know Earths Kitt as the season 3 Catwoman however I watched a bit of the entrancing Dr Cassandra and when she releases the super criminals from Gotham Penitentiary, the Catwoman shown is played by a woman resembling Julie Newmar rather than one resembling Earths Kitt. IMDB doesn't seem to list any of the villains that appear outside Cassandra, Cabala and the upcoming Minerva I wonder if there's anyone who could confirm that the villains in the jailbreak are or aren't played by their respective actors
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

The jailbreak villains categorically weren't played by the original actors. This is easily confirmed by freeze-framing the relevant scenes, but even in full motion, it's pretty easy to tell by focusing closely on, say, Egghead or King Tut, that the players are stand-ins.

There has been a fair amount of discussion of this scene previously on the forum; you can probably find it by searching the forum using keywords "Cassandra" and "jail" (or "jailbreak," "archcriminals," etc.).

My speculation -- and it's purely that -- is that when it came time to cast the escapee villains, the producers might have assigned the Catwoman role to Yvonne Craig's body double, given that she was likely already on-set. Members here may have production call sheets, payroll records, etc. that reveal who played the villains.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Oh, it's painfully obvious they're not the original actors lol.
Music. BAT! Music.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

cammy85 wrote: and Joker was wearing prison clothes when he got paroled in The Funny Feline Felonies" and Catwoman mysteriously had his traditional suit with her.
There's no sense to that--other than plot convenience of having Joker end up in his usual costume. There's no other way Catwoman would have his clothing.
Beneath Wayne Manor
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I have to admit to being a pretty unobservant child. I really never caught a lot of what I notice today. I can remember thinking that after Batman and Robin's underwater fight in the Astin Riddler episode, that they came out of the water completely dry. On DVD, I can see they're at least a LITTLE wet. Lol
Music. BAT! Music.
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

BWs suit seemed to dry pretty quick in the movie :P
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Jim Akin wrote:The jailbreak villains categorically weren't played by the original actors. This is easily confirmed by freeze-framing the relevant scenes, but even in full motion, it's pretty easy to tell by focusing closely on, say, Egghead or King Tut, that the players are stand-ins.

There has been a fair amount of discussion of this scene previously on the forum; you can probably find it by searching the forum using keywords "Cassandra" and "jail" (or "jailbreak," "archcriminals," etc.).

My speculation -- and it's purely that -- is that when it came time to cast the escapee villains, the producers might have assigned the Catwoman role to Yvonne Craig's body double, given that she was likely already on-set. Members here may have production call sheets, payroll records, etc. that reveal who played the villains.
I did have one freeze frame that showed the Riddler really let his hair grow in prison. :lol:

There's no way, with it being the second-last episode, that they would have even considered paying six villains the going rate for an episode in which they're a small part. This was an episode in which they turned out the lights for a Bat Fight so that they could save production time, simply inserting previous audio to compensate.

I had noted in a thread from a few weeks back that I had seen an episode of Felony Squad (which starred Howard Duff aka Cabala) that was filmed at roughly the same time as the Dr. Cassandra episode. Duff's character is conveniently wounded from a shooting and spends most of the episode convalescing off camera--which presumably allowed him to shoot his scenes with wife Ida Lupino.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I've been watching Felony Squad myself, on GetTV. Yeah, I noticed "Sam Stone" was largely taken out of the episode. Pretty obvious! Really, the show isn't bad, I've been enjoying it. Sort of like a William Dozier (cut the budget to the bone) take on Dragnet/Hawaii 5-0. I'm hearing some Green Hornet and even Batman musical cues, I think. Have you noticed? And the often cheap sets and plywood doors make me think of the Hornet series. Good ol' Greenway Productions.

http://thelandofwhatever.blogspot.com/2 ... -1966.html

Not to mention, Stanley Ralph Ross guested on an episode called 'The Terror Trap'. There was no mention about how darn big he was. I was expecting it. And I've noticed Marion Ross, Ritchie Cunningham's mom from Happy Days in a recurring role as a nurse. Sam Elliot, Richard Dreyfuss, Roddy McDowell (The Bookworm), Natalie Trundy (The Penguin's moll), & Joe Don Baker were in episodes. (!!) Dennis Cole, the co-star, was married to Jaclyn Smith from Charlie's Angels. :shock: The younger members might remember her from those 1990's K-Mart commercials. I'm into the third season now. I wish there were more! The old fake back-lot storefronts and the old Century City amusement parks and stadiums are great to see. To some extent it's part of Batman history.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La2Pt8Alt8w[/youtube]
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Progress Pigment wrote:Not to mention, Stanley Ralph Ross guested on an episode called 'The Terror Trap'. There was no mention about how darn big he was. I was expecting it. And I've noticed Marion Ross, Ritchie Cunningham's mom from Happy Days in a recurring role as a nurse. Sam Elliot, Richard Dreyfuss, Roddy McDowell (The Bookworm), Natalie Trundy (The Penguin's moll), & Joe Don Baker were in episodes. (!!) Dennis Cole, the co-star, was married to Jaclyn Smith from Charlie's Angels. :shock: The younger members might remember her from those 1990's K-Mart commercials. I'm into the third season now. I wish there were more! The old fake back-lot storefronts and the old Century City amusement parks and stadiums are great to see. To some extent it's part of Batman history.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La2Pt8Alt8w[/youtube]
Diana Ivarson (aka Baby Jane Towser) was also in an episode (a few months before her Batman appearance) and actually gives a credible performance--as opposed to her over-enunciated acting as the Joker's clueless "moll".
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Jim Akin wrote:My speculation -- and it's purely that -- is that when it came time to cast the escapee villains, the producers might have assigned the Catwoman role to Yvonne Craig's body double, given that she was likely already on-set.
It was Marilyn Watson, the formerly regular stand-in/stunt person for Julie Newmar's Catwoman, in the ep. Supposedly she stayed a friend of the series (probably doing other stunt work for them) and, when it came to this episode, she got the gig and the paycheck, rather than whomever might have been Eartha Kitt's double?

Arch villains by Ian McLean, on Flickr

I'm informed (by another poster here) that it is Fred Carson as Joker, Eddie Hice as Riddler, Guy Way as King Tut, Al Cavens as Penguin - all their regular stand-ins from their earlier episodes - but an unknown as Egghead. I'm wondering if one of the previous guys regularly stood-in for Egghead, too, and that's why no one appears as his double in the call sheets here? Notice that Egghead's appliance fits very poorly. (Edit: perhaps Al Wyatt Sr., repeating his previous doubling for Egghead?)
Golddragon71 wrote:I wonder if there's anyone who could confirm that the villains in the jailbreak are or aren't played by their respective actors
You need confirmation? ;) Would the freeze-frame do?
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Lots of signage is now more visible:

Gotham City Historical & Art Museum blooper by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"The Ogg Couple" episode of "Batman" features "Los Angeles County" signage on a museum.

Signage by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Top secret by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Fluoroscoped by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Fluoroscoped" correct in caption but misspelt "Flouroscopic" in set signage
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Therin of Andor wrote:
Jim Akin wrote: It was Marilyn Watson, the formerly regular stand-in/stunt person for Julie Newmar's Catwoman, in the ep. Supposedly she stayed a friend of the series (probably doing other stunt work for them) and, when it came to this episode, she got the gig and the paycheck, rather than whomever might have been Eartha Kitt's double?
From the first time watching the episode, it was clear she was the "Julie Catwoman," but it makes one wonder if Kitt had a stuntperson, and if not, did the PTB simply not care that the stuntperson matched an actress long gone from the show, considering all knew the series was cancelled?

Decades ago, I recall a few fans stretching things--thinking use of the Julie double was almost a slap in the face to Kitt--as if to leave the series with the "preferred" image of Catwoman, instead of Newmar's successor.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I don't know that Eartha Kitt ever needed a stunt double! Maybe a lighting stand-in. Anyone see her character ever do anything the least bit athletic? Aside from being restrained by Chief O'Hara. I don't see it as a slap in the face. Adam West's Batman was getting slapped every day! It was money, money, money. Cut the budget to the bone & get as many shows in the can as possible for syndication.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote:Decades ago, I recall a few fans stretching things--thinking use of the Julie double was almost a slap in the face to Kitt--as if to leave the series with the "preferred" image of Catwoman, instead of Newmar's successor.
Why a slap in the face? What is a slap in the face to Lee Meriwether and Julie Newmar actually returned for season two? Or when Frank Gorshin returned in season 3 after John Astin was cast as the Riddler in season 2? Obviously these are the actors wanted for the rolls.